12 September 2018, 19:31
Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources
Moscow, September 12, Interfax - Sources said the two bishops appointed by the Patriarchate of Constantinople as its exarchs in Ukraine have already arrived in Kiev and had a walk around the Kiev Lavra of the Caves, the seat of the metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate).
"Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon from the United States and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton (Canada) were seen near the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Workers at a church shop said one of the exarchs bought himself a panagia [encolpion]," the Union of Orthodox Journalists of Ukraine said on Wednesday.
The leader of the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate", Filaret Denisenko, met last weekend with the acting director of the Kiev Lavra Preserve, Aleksander Rudnik, and demanded that Block 19 of the monastery be transferred to the "Kiev Patriarchate", the Union said. It was reported later that this building was allotted for the Constantinople exarchs.
It had been reported earlier that the Patriarchate of Constantinople appointed two bishops as its exarchs in Kiev "within the framework of the preparations for the granting of autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine." This was done in reply to Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko's request on granting a tomos (ordinance) of autocephaly of a united local church in Ukraine.
Several days before, while speaking at a Synaxis (council) of active Metropolitans and Archbishops of the Ecumenical Throne in Istanbul on September 1, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew said he assumed the initiative of overcoming the schism in Ukraine "since Russia, as the one responsible for the current painful situation in Ukraine, is unable to solve the problem." He said he did so in response to requests "by the honorable Ukrainian Government, as well as recurring requests by 'Patriarch' Filaret."
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23