12 September 2018, 19:31
Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources
Moscow, September 12, Interfax - Sources said the two bishops appointed by the Patriarchate of Constantinople as its exarchs in Ukraine have already arrived in Kiev and had a walk around the Kiev Lavra of the Caves, the seat of the metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate).
"Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon from the United States and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton (Canada) were seen near the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Workers at a church shop said one of the exarchs bought himself a panagia [encolpion]," the Union of Orthodox Journalists of Ukraine said on Wednesday.
The leader of the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate", Filaret Denisenko, met last weekend with the acting director of the Kiev Lavra Preserve, Aleksander Rudnik, and demanded that Block 19 of the monastery be transferred to the "Kiev Patriarchate", the Union said. It was reported later that this building was allotted for the Constantinople exarchs.
It had been reported earlier that the Patriarchate of Constantinople appointed two bishops as its exarchs in Kiev "within the framework of the preparations for the granting of autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine." This was done in reply to Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko's request on granting a tomos (ordinance) of autocephaly of a united local church in Ukraine.
Several days before, while speaking at a Synaxis (council) of active Metropolitans and Archbishops of the Ecumenical Throne in Istanbul on September 1, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew said he assumed the initiative of overcoming the schism in Ukraine "since Russia, as the one responsible for the current painful situation in Ukraine, is unable to solve the problem." He said he did so in response to requests "by the honorable Ukrainian Government, as well as recurring requests by 'Patriarch' Filaret."
- Synod of Ukraine's new Church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch urges not to make mistakes 24 June 2019, 17:44
- Audience of films showing drugs should be warned of danger – Russian Church 24 June 2019, 14:15
- Georgia's LGBT community postpones march due to tensions 24 June 2019, 11:07
- Head of Georgian delegation in IAO refuses parliamentary mandate following riots in Tbilisi 21 June 2019, 17:37
- Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25