12 September 2018, 19:31
Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources
Moscow, September 12, Interfax - Sources said the two bishops appointed by the Patriarchate of Constantinople as its exarchs in Ukraine have already arrived in Kiev and had a walk around the Kiev Lavra of the Caves, the seat of the metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate).
"Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon from the United States and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton (Canada) were seen near the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Workers at a church shop said one of the exarchs bought himself a panagia [encolpion]," the Union of Orthodox Journalists of Ukraine said on Wednesday.
The leader of the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate", Filaret Denisenko, met last weekend with the acting director of the Kiev Lavra Preserve, Aleksander Rudnik, and demanded that Block 19 of the monastery be transferred to the "Kiev Patriarchate", the Union said. It was reported later that this building was allotted for the Constantinople exarchs.
It had been reported earlier that the Patriarchate of Constantinople appointed two bishops as its exarchs in Kiev "within the framework of the preparations for the granting of autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine." This was done in reply to Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko's request on granting a tomos (ordinance) of autocephaly of a united local church in Ukraine.
Several days before, while speaking at a Synaxis (council) of active Metropolitans and Archbishops of the Ecumenical Throne in Istanbul on September 1, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew said he assumed the initiative of overcoming the schism in Ukraine "since Russia, as the one responsible for the current painful situation in Ukraine, is unable to solve the problem." He said he did so in response to requests "by the honorable Ukrainian Government, as well as recurring requests by 'Patriarch' Filaret."
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10