11 September 2018, 17:05
Patriarch Bartholomew's position on Ukrainian Church motivated by politics rather than religion - Russian Imperial Family head
Moscow, September 11, Interfax - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople's position regarding the autocephaly of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church has been dictated not by ecclesiastical but by political motives, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna (Romanova) of Russia, the head of the Imperial Family of Russia, said to Interfax on Tuesday.
"It's impossible to find another explanation to Patriarch Bartholomew's position," Maria Vladimirovna said.
This position "leads to the inevitable severance of relations between the Constantinople Church and the Russian Orthodox Church," she said. "These steps are truly disastrous for global Orthodoxy," she said.
"Attempts to destroy civilizational unity of the brotherly peoples of Russia and Ukraine and to sow enmity between them are surely a geopolitical project aimed at submitting Ukraine to Russia's geopolitical rivals and weakening our country's international positions," Maria Vladimirovna said.
"This project involves actions toward destroying the Orthodox foundations that were laid back in Kievan Rus and were further developed in the Tsardom of Muscovy and the Russian Empire," she said.
"These activities are pursued by people extremely remote from the Church," she said.
"The Patriarch of Constantinople's mediating efforts may be helpful only if approved of by all parties and are not forcibly imposed from the outside," she said.
"The preparations for autocephaly have been started against the will of the Russian and Ukrainian Orthodox Churches and have been assigned to two metropolitans whose independence is just out of the question," Maria Vladimirovna said.
This policy, "amid the dramatic tension, will engender new confrontation," she said.
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29