11 September 2018, 17:05
Patriarch Bartholomew's position on Ukrainian Church motivated by politics rather than religion - Russian Imperial Family head
Moscow, September 11, Interfax - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople's position regarding the autocephaly of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church has been dictated not by ecclesiastical but by political motives, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna (Romanova) of Russia, the head of the Imperial Family of Russia, said to Interfax on Tuesday.
"It's impossible to find another explanation to Patriarch Bartholomew's position," Maria Vladimirovna said.
This position "leads to the inevitable severance of relations between the Constantinople Church and the Russian Orthodox Church," she said. "These steps are truly disastrous for global Orthodoxy," she said.
"Attempts to destroy civilizational unity of the brotherly peoples of Russia and Ukraine and to sow enmity between them are surely a geopolitical project aimed at submitting Ukraine to Russia's geopolitical rivals and weakening our country's international positions," Maria Vladimirovna said.
"This project involves actions toward destroying the Orthodox foundations that were laid back in Kievan Rus and were further developed in the Tsardom of Muscovy and the Russian Empire," she said.
"These activities are pursued by people extremely remote from the Church," she said.
"The Patriarch of Constantinople's mediating efforts may be helpful only if approved of by all parties and are not forcibly imposed from the outside," she said.
"The preparations for autocephaly have been started against the will of the Russian and Ukrainian Orthodox Churches and have been assigned to two metropolitans whose independence is just out of the question," Maria Vladimirovna said.
This policy, "amid the dramatic tension, will engender new confrontation," she said.
- UOC denies reports that its Synod excommunicates two metropolitans 18 December 2018, 17:30
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc demands Poroshenko declassify text of agreement with Bartholomew 18 December 2018, 12:14
- Ukrainian parliamentary speaker invites Patriarch Bartholomew to speak before Rada 17 December 2018, 19:11
- UOC Synod accuses Constantinople of deepening schism in Ukraine 17 December 2018, 19:09
- UOC Synod bans 2 of its metropolitans who attended unification assembly from religious service 17 December 2018, 19:05
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church declares itself true Сhurch in Ukraine 17 December 2018, 18:46
- Kremlin refrains from intervening in church affairs in Ukraine, sees politics behind schismatic activities - Peskov 17 December 2018, 18:39
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news 15 December 2018, 20:27
- Election of leader of "single local church" in Ukraine means nothing - Russian Orthodox Church 15 December 2018, 20:11
- Poroshenko to travel with Metropolitan Epiphany to collect Constantinople's tomos in person 15 December 2018, 20:06
- Metropolitan Epiphany of "Kiev Patriarchate" elected as leader of "local Orthodox church" in Ukraine 15 December 2018, 18:39
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36