08 September 2018, 15:25
Russian Orthodox Church's Synod accuses Patriarchate of Constantinople of 'gross violation of canons' over sending exarchs to Ukraine (updated)
Moscow, September 8, Interfax - The Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has made a special statement on Saturday due to the assignment of two exarchs, representatives of Patriarch Bartholomew, to Ukraine.
"The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has expressed resolute protest and deep outrage over the statement of September 7, 2018, of the General Secretariat of the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople announcing the appointment of two hierarchs of this church, archbishop Daniel (the U.S.) and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton (Canada), as 'exarchs' of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Kiev," the Synod said in a statement posted on the Russian Orthodox Church's official website.
The Synod members have noted that this decision was made without an approval of Patriarch Kirill and Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and is "a grossest violation of the church canons, which forbid bishops of one local church to interfere with other local church's internal life and affairs."
This decision also "fully contradicts the previously unwavering stance of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and personally Patriarch Bartholomew, who have repeatedly said that he recognizes His Holiness Metropolitan Onufry as the only canonical head of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine," the statement said.
The Moscow Synod pointed out that the decision of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to take into consideration the issue of granting autocephaly to "Ukraine's Orthodox believers" was made "against the will of bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, who unilaterally stood in favor of maintaining its current status."
"By means of justifying its interference with affairs of other local church, the Patriarch of Constantinople cites false interpretations of historical facts and exceptional powers he allegedly has, which no one has ever had and no one has in reality," the Synod said.
"These actions bring relations between the Russian Church and the Church of Constantinople into a deadlock and pose a real threat to the unity of the entire global Orthodox Christianity," it said.
"Whole responsibility of these uncanonical actions lies personally at the door of Patriarch Bartholomew and all persons in the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople supporting them," the Holy Synod of the Russian Church said, adding that "the Moscow Patriarchate's response will promptly ensue."
On Friday, the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople appointed Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon (the U.S) and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton (Canada) as its exarchs in Kiev "within the framework of the preparations for the granting of autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine."
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29