10 August 2018, 10:43
Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests
Moscow, August 10, Interfax - The Russian Foreign Ministry has sent a note to the Greek embassy seeking explanations on the problems with issuing visas to priests, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said.
"We saw the Tsargrad materials and a publication on social networks. We have sent the relevant note to the Greek Embassy in Moscow seeking explanations on the situation, and seeking to confirm or refute, and to give some explanations on this score," Zakharova said at a press briefing in Moscow.
"So, we are waiting for the Greek side's response now," she added.
"The Foreign Ministry is always closely following the situation with issuing visas to Russian citizens. Of course, any discrimination with issuing visas, either due to national, or professional, or religious identity is unacceptable," Zakharova said.
On August 6, Archpriest Vladimir Vigilyansky, the former spokesman of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and the father superior of St. Tatiana Church at Moscow State University, said that he had encountered the Greek authorities' reluctance to issue long-term visas to priests.
He faced this problem for the first time in the past 25 years, when he has repeatedly received long-term Schengen visas, processing them at the consulates of France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, and at the Greek Consulate General several times.
After the first publication about this problem many Russian priests said that they faced the same story, when visas have been issued for a week, for two weeks, and at most for a month in the past six months.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17