10 August 2018, 10:40
St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack
St. Petersburg, August 10, Interfax - At its visiting session in St. Petersburg the Moscow District Military Court has delivered a judgment to Yevgeny Yefimov, the third of five defendants in the case into a terrorist attack planned at the Kazan Cathedral, for prevention of which Russian President Vladimir Putin has thanked his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump.
"Yefimov is found guilty and is sentenced to five years of imprisonment at a high-security penal colony and a fine in the amount of 100,000 rubles," Judge Roman Kiforenko said, reading out the sentence.
The court has thus completely agreed on the prosecutors' stance.
Four other defendants Shamil Omargadzhiyev, Aliskhan Esmurziyev, Firuz Kalavurov and Anton Kobets were arrested, along with Yefimov, and charged with the failure to report the planned terror attack as part of the cases over the terrorist attack planned at the Kazan Cathedral.
Omargadzhiyev was sentenced to two years and a half in a general-security penal colony and a fine amounting to 50,000 rubles. Esmurziyev received a two-year prison term and a fine in the amount of 50,000 rubles. St. Petersburg's Smolninsky District Court is hearing Kalavurov's case. The Vyborg District Court extended the term in arrest to Kobets on August 6.
In December 2017, the Federal Security Service reported the detention of seven members of the ISIL international terrorist organization banned in Russia who were planning terrorist attacks at crowded venues. Five persons were identified as defendants as part of several criminal cases. It was not reported that another two detainees faced any charges.
"The Russian Federal Security Service has uncovered and suppressed the illegal activity of a secret group of ISIL members, who were planning to perpetrate deadly terrorist attacks on December 16 of this year by a suicide bomber blasting himself at a cathedral in the city, killing people and exploding improvised explosive devices at crowded venues," according to the statement published on the website of the Federal Security Service's St. Petersburg branch on December 15, 2017.
The terrorist group was ruled by ringleaders from foreign countries through the Telegram messenger service, it said.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17