07 August 2018, 13:12
Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman
Moscow, August 7, Interfax – Archpriest Vladimir Vigilyansky, the former head of the press service of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and now the father superior of the Church of Saint Tatiana at Moscow State University, says he has run into the problem of the Greek authorities being unwilling to give long-terms to priests.
"We received our passports with visas at the visa center: my wife was given [a visa] for three years, and I got one for only a month. I asked the young woman who was returning our passports why, and she replied, 'You should not have written that you were a priest. If you'd written that you were a pensioner, they would have given you a three-year [visa],'" Father Vladimir wrote in a letter to Greek Ambassador to Russia Andreas Friganas, a copy of which he posted on his Facebook page.
He wrote that this was the first such situation he had encountered in 25 years and that he had received many long-term Schengen visas at French, Italian, German, and Swiss consulates, and more than once at the Greek one.
Since he first wrote about this issue, many Russian clergymen have said that they have experienced the same situation in the past six months: they were given visas for a week, two weeks, or at most a month, the priest wrote.
"It turns out that had I applied for a visa as a member of the Russian Union of Journalists or a member of the Russian Union of Writers (I am both) or, as the visa officer suggested, as a pensioner, there would not have been such discrimination on professional grounds," Father Vladimir wrote, adding that the refusal of a long-term visa was a "gross violation of Article 14 of the European Convention on the protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms adopted on November 4, 1950, by 47 members of the Council of Europe," Vigilyansky said.
There has been no reply to the letter.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17