06 August 2018, 18:01
Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, August 6, Interfax - The upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople will improve relations and shame those who are trying to solve their own problems by splitting the Church, according to a Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) spokesman.
"There are reasons to believe that this will be a positive event for global Christian Orthodoxy and will relax relations between the Constantinople and Moscow Patriarchates, thus improving the general climate in inter-Orthodox relations," the deputy head of Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Danilevich wrote on Facebook on Monday.
The meeting, due to be held in Istanbul on August 31, should solve, or at least outline ways to solve, many urgent issues, with the ultimate goal of strengthening Christian Orthodox unity, the archpriest wrote.
"At any rate, direct dialogue between church leaders is always better than an exchange of non-face-to-face remarks through mass media of the kind we've been observing until now," the priest wrote.
There is a shared desire among local Orthodox Churches "for unity and consolidation and the solution of the problems that have accumulated," he wrote.
"None of our local Churches intends to beget new schisms. Such are the trends and sentiments in today's inter-Orthodox relations. This is why those forces that hope to solve their problems even if it takes a schism among members of the Ecumenical Orthodoxy hope in vain," the priest wrote.
For both global Orthodoxy and for the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, the upcoming meeting "promises to be a positive event," he wrote.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17