28 July 2018, 09:07
Russian Orthodox Church to resist attempts to separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church from it - Patriarch Kirill
Moscow, July 28, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill has hinted that the Moscow Patriarchate will never accept the idea of granting independence to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"The Russian Orthodox Church, guided by the unshakeable holy canons and irrefutable documentary evidence, will never renounce its Dnieper baptismal font, the tradition going back to St. Vladimir the Great Prince and Equal-to-the-Apostles. Attempts to artificially tear apart the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and the Moscow Patriarchate could lead to a catastrophe of the pan-Orthodox scale," the Russian church leader said at a meeting with representatives from ten local Orthodox Churches, who arrived for the celebration of the 1,030th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus.
This year's anniversary will be marked in a particularly testing atmosphere, especially in Ukraine, the patriarch said. To the Russian Orthodox Church, Kiev is not an ordinary city but "the mother of Russian cities, the place of the Christianization of Russia and of the birthplace of the Russian Orthodoxy," it is as holy as Constantinople or Jerusalem for all Orthodox Christians, or as Kosovo and Metohija for the Serbian Orthodox Church, he said.
"Currently the forces foreign to our religion are deliberately trying to destroy the unity of the Russian Orthodox Church. The pressure is now heaviest on the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church, its leader Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and all Ukraine, its episcopate and clergy and the flock," Patriarch Kirill said.
He also pointed out the numerous takeovers of churches by splinter groups and the Uniates, the menace to the Kiev Lavra of the Caves and Pochayev Lavra, the "ubiquitous discrimination" against the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"Ukrainian politicians came up with an initiative to create, out of schismatic formations, the so-called unified local church and give it an autocephaly," the patriarch said.
In these "heaviest of circumstances" the support from the fraternal local Orthodox Churches is "truly invaluable," he said. The patriarch asked the assembled to convey to their church leaders, holy synods and all hierarchs his "sincere and deep gratitude" on behalf of the Russian Orthodox Church.
"Today non-ecumenical forces are trying to shatter the unity of the global Orthodox faith by influencing certain hierarchs, using the objective difficulties in the life of local Churches. Nor is the church peace helped by the current extremely complicated international political situation. However, the Church knew more difficult times during its history. But with the hard work and feats of our ancestors, the Orthodox unity has been preserved to our days. We have the responsibility to God to preserve this treasure and pass it on to our descendants," Patriarch Kirill said.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17