16 July 2018, 10:11
Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch
Yekaterinburg, July 16, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said he hopes that the memory of the tragic death of the imperial family will help rethink history and unite the people.
"I would like to express hopes that the memories of these tragic events will help those who have not been able to rethink history yet do it. So that this rethinking leads to an increase of our common accord, national accord and reconciliation," Patriarch Kirill told reporters in Yekaterinburg.
He also said he hopes that the historical tragedies "we have inherited from the past will not divide our people."
""It is with a special feeling that I step on the Yekaterinburg land on the 150th anniversary of the birth of Emperor Nicholas II and the anniversary of his martyrdom. Because this is where his life on this earth ended and it is perfectly obvious that a lot is connected to this place, including in connection with the beautification of Holy Nicholas the Martyr, whose life ended so tragically here, on this land," Patriarch Kirill said.
Patriarch Kirill said his visit to Yekaterinburg has a special meaning.
"My visit has a special meaning. I do hope that we will mark these dates together with all believers in a good way, with prayer," the patriarch said.
According to earlier reports, Patriarch Kirill arrived in Yekaterinburg on Friday to lead a series of events of the Orthodox festival Tsar's Days commemorating Russia's last Emperor Nicholas II and his family, who were killed 100 years ago.
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04
- Jews all over the world celebrate the Victory Day according to the Jewish calendar 19 May 2020, 12:15
- Putin recommends Russian Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr at home (updated) 18 May 2020, 16:30
- World Russian People's Assembly, led by Patriarch Kirill, demands investigation into causes of pandemic 18 May 2020, 13:38
- LGBT activists in Georgia hold annual rally online due to pandemic 18 May 2020, 11:39
- Life has become a priority first time in Russian history during Covid-19 pandemic - Jewish leader 15 May 2020, 12:22
- Family climate worsens for 10% of Russians in self-isolation, 19% claim opposite - poll 14 May 2020, 18:53
- Eid al-Fitr will not cause crowds outside Moscow's main mosque this year due to coronavirus 14 May 2020, 18:49
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev forcibly taken to mental hospital 12 May 2020, 19:07
- Annual Jewish parade to commemorate the end of epidemic will be held online 12 May 2020, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion opposes Stalin's mosaic portrait at Russia's Armed Forces main church 12 May 2020, 10:26
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls it symbolic that global struggle against coronavirus coincides with jubilee of the Victory 08 May 2020, 16:09
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov hospitalized with suspected coronavirus 08 May 2020, 15:27
- "Jewish" Victory Day won't be postponed because of coronavirus 07 May 2020, 17:54
- Tradition to celebrate birthdays with homeless people appeared in Moscow during the pandemic 07 May 2020, 17:51
- Police open criminal case into deaths of dogs from nunnery shelter near Tula 07 May 2020, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill blesses sending of humanitarian aid to Belarus to counter coronavirus epidemic 07 May 2020, 10:00
- Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius chief physician dies of coronavirus 06 May 2020, 14:07