09 July 2018, 17:12
Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity
Moscow, July 9, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has discussed the issue of keeping inter-Orthodox unity with representatives of the Constantinople Patriarchate.
According to the official website of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill met with Metropolitans Emmanuel of Galle and Bartholomew of Smyrna at his working residence in Moscow's Chisty Lane on Monday.
"The conversation addressed issues relating to keeping inter-Orthodox unity," the report said.
The Russian Orthodox Church was also represented in the meeting by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk and Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, deputy head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations.
"In the meeting, the parties frankly and openly stated their positons on a number of issues that present mutual interest, including the situation in Ukraine," Father Nikolay told Interfax-Religion.
"Both parties find this meeting useful," he said. The priest said the positons of the Russian Church stated there will be communicated to Patriarch Bartholomew and the Holy Synod of the Constantinople Church in the near future.
The issue of inter-Orthodox unity drew broad debate in the past few months in connection with the so-called Ukrainian issue.
According to earlier reports, Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko in April asked Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew to grant a tomos of autocephaly to the Church in Ukraine and announced an intention to create "a unified local church." The Verkhovnaya Rada supported the presidential address.
Afterward, high representatives of the Moscow and Constantinople Patriarchates held a series of consultations with local Orthodox Churches on the matter. Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk repeatedly said he had been told about the need to observe the canonical approach in a serious issue such as the granting of autocephaly.
Metropolitan Hilarion also warned about the inevitable deepening of division in Ukraine and on a schism in the Orthodox Church, which he believes could be compared to the Great Schism of 1054.
A delegation of archbishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, for its part, visited Istanbul in late June. After the visit, they said the rumors about preparations being made for granting autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church by the Constantinople Patriarchate had not been confirmed.
"Instead, the archbishops of the Constantinople Patriarchate said that their Church was ready to join the process of overcoming the Ukrainian church schism in consultations with their brotherly local Orthodox Churches," the hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said in their statement.
- Russian Orthodox Church official comments on patriarch's stance on 'Yekaterinburg remains' 18 July 2018, 17:20
- First Orthodox monastery opens in Japan 17 July 2018, 18:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 48,000 euros to Pussy Riot members over 2012 'punk prayer' case 17 July 2018, 13:27
- Russian Church takes notice of findings of new expert examination of imperial family remains – Legoyda (updated) 16 July 2018, 18:06
- Autocephaly is pillar of Ukrainian state - Poroshenko 16 July 2018, 17:33
- Moscow Patriarchate bishop dies in Athos 16 July 2018, 16:28
- Remains found near Yekaterinburg belong to Nicholas II, family - Russian Investigative Committee (updated) 16 July 2018, 12:23
- Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch 16 July 2018, 10:11
- Patriarch visits Church on the Blood in Yekaterinburg 13 July 2018, 18:49
- Patriarch Kirill to lead 21-km procession in memory of Nicholas II's family 12 July 2018, 22:18
- Prosecutor seeks 7 years in penal colony for 'God Kuzya' for creation of sect, fraud 11 July 2018, 17:39
- Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide 11 July 2018, 14:29
- Imperial Orthodox Society denies connection to expulsion of Russian diplomats from Greece 11 July 2018, 13:37
- Putin again goes to Valaam Monastery 11 July 2018, 13:17
- Attempts of Russians to gain influence on Mount Athos resulted in diplomatic scandal - media 11 July 2018, 13:10
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity 09 July 2018, 17:12
- Constantinople's response to Ukrainian Church's request for autocephaly to follow canonical logic - Russian Church official 09 July 2018, 13:24
- Church not planning to recognize authenticity of tsar's remains for 100th anniversary of killing of Nicholas II, family 09 July 2018, 13:16
- Onboard church started functioning at the Aurora cruiser first time after 1917 06 July 2018, 17:23
- Quarter-ton cakes to be baked in Kalmykia for Dalai Lama the 14th birthday 06 July 2018, 13:06
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Constantinople Church never laid claim to Ukrainian Metropolitanate taken over by Russian Orthodox Church in 17th century – theologian 06 July 2018, 12:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not recommend to marry adherents of other religious traditions at backgrounds of the Mundial 02 July 2018, 13:55
- The House of Romanov official: expertise of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ is not completed 02 July 2018, 11:00
- Rumors about temporary nature of transferring the Metropolitanate of Kiev to the Moscow Patriarchate 300 years ago have no confirmation - Metropolitan Hilarion 29 June 2018, 13:55
- Delegation of the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Moscow on July 9 for discussing the topic of Ukrainian autocephaly 29 June 2018, 13:16
- Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate 28 June 2018, 16:50
- After Istanbul visit, Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs dismiss rumors of Constantinople Patriarchate's intention to grant autocephaly 26 June 2018, 19:07
- The hunting control service believes bears in Murmansk 'learned' the schedule of church feasts 26 June 2018, 18:33