28 June 2018, 16:50
Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate
Athens, June 28, Interfax - The legitimization of the schism in Ukraine could lead to bloodshed, according to the Russian Orthodox Church.
"Filaret Denysenko [leader of the self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate] has deceived people using various methods for 25 years. He is now trying to convince people that the Constantinople Patriarchate will grant autocephaly to his structure in the near future. [...] He is also saying that the Kiev Lavra of the Caves and the Pochayev Lavra will need to join this new church structure as soon as it is created," Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, said in an interview with the Greek ecclesiastical news agency Romfea.
The realization of these plans may have tragic consequences, as believers will just not give away their monasteries, he said.
"Some 50 churches of the canonical Ukrainian Church have now been illegally taken over by schismatics. Orthodox Christians are being subjected to violence. Imagine what will happen if schismatics start taking over monasteries. Thousands of people will come together to defend them, blood will be shed," the metropolitan said, adding that "this should be prevented by all means."
He said he believes it is significant that Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew said at a recent meeting in Istanbul that to him, any schism is a schism, and that he sees Denisenko as the initiator of this schism.
Metropolitan Hilarion also said Patriarch Bartholomew has said that the people who are spreading rumors that a tomos on autocephaly has already been written are enemies of the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Russian Orthodox Church takes path of self-isolation - Poroshenko 16 October 2018, 13:10
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church appoints new bishops to administer parishes in Europe, U.S 16 October 2018, 11:45
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church leader attended Russian Synod meeting, supported its decision - Metropolitan Hilarion 16 October 2018, 10:14
- Belarusian Orthodox Church joins Holy Synod's decision to break up with Constantinople 16 October 2018, 10:10
- Former primate of Orthodox Church in U.S. opposes U.S. policy about church in Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:24
- Moscow Patriarchate renews calls for Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining Church unity - Russian Synod 15 October 2018, 22:21
- Russian Church hopes Ukrainian believers will not be harassed 15 October 2018, 22:17
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes Patriarch of Constantinople will change his mind on Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:13
- Further Eucharistic communion with Patriarchate of Constantinople deemed impossible - Russian Synod's decision 15 October 2018, 22:10
- Court throws out Pentecostals' suit seeking agreement with penitentiary service on prison visits in Astrakhan 15 October 2018, 17:56
- Lukashenko blames politicians for events in Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 15:24
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church discussing possible response to Constantinople's actions 15 October 2018, 14:30
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43
- Russian Security Council discussed Constantinople decisions on Russian Church in Ukraine on Friday – Peskov 15 October 2018, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Lukashenko for Belarusian govt's good relations with Belarusian Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 11:32
- Minsk worried about possible schism in Orthodox Church – Lukashenko 15 October 2018, 11:29
- Lukashenko meets with Patriarch Kirill 15 October 2018, 11:09
- Ukraine never was, never will be Russian Orthodox Church's canonical territory – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 11:01
- Ukrainian authorities to respect decision by flock who want to keep unity with Russian Orthodox Church – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 10:58
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for continued Orthodox unity 13 October 2018, 18:07
- Constantinople Patriarchate still does not see Filaret Denisenko as patriarch - Phanar hierarch 13 October 2018, 18:05
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 18:02
- Putin, Russian Security Council permanent members discuss situation of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine - Peskov 13 October 2018, 17:59
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 11:02
- Lavrov calls Patriarch Bartholomew's actions on Ukraine as provocation backed by U.S. (updated) 12 October 2018, 19:35
- Russian Orthodox Church proposes convene extraordinary pan-Orthodox council to depose Patriarch Bartholomew, his Synod members 12 October 2018, 19:24
- Metropolitan of Czech Lands and Slovakia expresses solidarity with canonical Church of Ukraine 12 October 2018, 17:36
- Kremlin vows to defend Orthodox Christians' interests in Ukraine using political, diplomatic methods 12 October 2018, 14:29
- Kremlin shares Russian Church's concern over Ecumenical Patriarchate's decisions – Peskov 12 October 2018, 14:28