28 June 2018, 16:50
Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate
Athens, June 28, Interfax - The legitimization of the schism in Ukraine could lead to bloodshed, according to the Russian Orthodox Church.
"Filaret Denysenko [leader of the self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate] has deceived people using various methods for 25 years. He is now trying to convince people that the Constantinople Patriarchate will grant autocephaly to his structure in the near future. [...] He is also saying that the Kiev Lavra of the Caves and the Pochayev Lavra will need to join this new church structure as soon as it is created," Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, said in an interview with the Greek ecclesiastical news agency Romfea.
The realization of these plans may have tragic consequences, as believers will just not give away their monasteries, he said.
"Some 50 churches of the canonical Ukrainian Church have now been illegally taken over by schismatics. Orthodox Christians are being subjected to violence. Imagine what will happen if schismatics start taking over monasteries. Thousands of people will come together to defend them, blood will be shed," the metropolitan said, adding that "this should be prevented by all means."
He said he believes it is significant that Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew said at a recent meeting in Istanbul that to him, any schism is a schism, and that he sees Denisenko as the initiator of this schism.
Metropolitan Hilarion also said Patriarch Bartholomew has said that the people who are spreading rumors that a tomos on autocephaly has already been written are enemies of the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32