18 June 2018, 10:53
Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev
Kiev, June 18, Interfax - Activists from the LGBT community have gathered in downtown Kiev, where the so-called Equality March was due to begin at 9 a.m. on Sunday.
The start of the event was delayed for technical reasons and the procession began one hour later, an Interfax correspondent said. Participants formed a column for the March and started moving but had to stop almost immediately. The procession finally started at 10 o'clock prompt, the correspondent said.
Several thousand people are participating in the event. Several Ukrainian members of parliament and a few public figures joined the procession, as did European Parliament member Rebecca Harms, Minister of State for Europe at Germany's Federal Foreign Office Michael Roth and German Ambassador to Ukraine Ernst Reichel.
Before the Equality March began, about ten people opposing the parade ran out in front of the column trying to obstruct the procession. Law enforcers intervened to lead them out of the cordons installed along the route of the parade.
Besides, about 1,000 opponents gathered behind barriers near the National Opera building. The opponents are speaking out for preserving traditional Christian values. They are holding banners with quotations from the Holy Bible and carrying wooden crosses. Law enforcement troops in protective suits are standing closely in two rows to make a separation line between the opponents of the Equality March and its participants.
Currently, police is keeping the situation under control. A row of mounted police is marching in front of the authorized procession.
The Kiev police revealed earlier that about 5,000 law enforcement troops would maintain law and order during the Equality March in the city center.
- Turkey's position on Hagia Sophia aimed at boosting domestic ratings, regretful - Slutsky 10 July 2020, 21:47
- Revocation of Hagia Sophia's museum status a blow to Orthodox Christianity - Metropolitan Hilarion 10 July 2020, 19:50
- Russian Orthodox Church says turning Hagia Sophia into mosque will have consequences for all of humankind 10 July 2020, 19:21
- Decision on Hagia Sophia undermines Ankara's int'l authority - Kosachyov 10 July 2020, 18:31
- Russian Orthodox Church regrets Turkey's failure to heed millions of Christians' concerns about status of Hagia Sophia 10 July 2020, 17:03
- Kremlin has more important things to do than watch film on LGBT situation in Chechnya - Peskov 10 July 2020, 16:59
- Georgian Patriarchate concerned about Turkish authorities' idea of making Hagia Sophia mosque 10 July 2020, 10:36
- Russians become more loyal to marriages with non-Christians 08 July 2020, 12:14
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08