30 May 2018, 17:01
Russian Orthodox Church denies criticism of U.S. State Dept, says 'religious majority' needs protection
Moscow, May 30, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has responded to the report of the U.S. Department of State in which the Russian authorities are accused of encroaching on the rights of religious minorities and privileging the Russian Orthodox Church.
"Observance of people's religious freedom and the quality of regulation of relations of religious communities with the state is not limited to the criterion of the situation of religious minorities. The religious majority deserves at least the same attention in terms of protection of religious freedoms as the religious minority," Vakhtang Kipshidze, deputy head of the synodal department on liaison between the church and society and the mass media, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
The authors of the U.S. report continue looking at religious situations solely through the prism of rights and preferences provided to religious minorities, he said.
"We believe that the Department of State's report remains in the narrow framework of political dogmas, which are rapidly becoming obsolete in today's world," Kipshidze said.
He also said the report "sometimes gives the impression that the new U.S. presidential administration is closer to the need to protect the rights of the majority, including the religious one, than the authors of the Department of State report." Kipshidze believes this is illustrated by U.S. President Donald Trump's public support for public organizations that oppose abortion and thus express the opinion of the majority of the Christian and non-Christian population of the country.
On Tuesday, the U.S. Department of State released its annual report on religious freedoms around the world. Russia was again accused of detentions and fines against representatives of religious minorities suspected of extremism.
The report also said that Russia's Supreme Court had found the work of Jehovah's Witnesses to be illegal and classified the organization as extremist and that the Russian authorities had convicted and fined people for public speeches that the authorities said were insulting to believers.
It also said the Russian authorities had fined and deported foreigners engaged in religious activities, including a rabbi, four Korean Baptists, and a Pentecostal pastor from India.
Generally, according to the report, non-governmental organizations in Russia registered a reduction in the number of instances of violence associated with religious affiliation in 2017.
- The Museum of Ball opened in Sochi is decorated with frescoes painted by church artists 20 June 2018, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of UN Secretary-General to harmful for humanity consequences of giving up traditional morals 20 June 2018, 17:10
- Patriarch Kirill urges UN Secretary-General to help Middle Eastern Christians return home 20 June 2018, 16:51
- Polygamy banned in Turkmenistan 19 June 2018, 17:01
- Foundation stone to the Church of Holy Doctor the Passion-Bearer Eugeny Botkin laid in the Urals 19 June 2018, 13:33
- Helicopter with the Icon of the Mother of God flew over all WC-2018 objects in Saransk 19 June 2018, 13:06
- A church was built in native village of the first female cosmonaut to mark the 55th anniversary of her flight 18 June 2018, 12:46
- Church and Russian Health Ministry to chair the program of helping Syrian children 18 June 2018, 12:29
- Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev 18 June 2018, 10:53
- The Ukrainian church schism legalization to cut into parts body of global Orthodoxy - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 June 2018, 10:34
- Moscow Patriarchate surprised by Patriarch Bartholomew's words that people of Ukraine are outside canonical Church 18 June 2018, 10:26
- Best player of Russia - Saudi Arabia match thanked God for the victory 15 June 2018, 17:01
- Football World Cup can close up people, mufti Tajuddin believes 15 June 2018, 15:00
- The holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are brought to Oxford 15 June 2018, 10:27
- Putin lauds Russian Muslim communities' role in maintaining interethnic, interfaith peace 15 June 2018, 10:02
- Rahmon calls on Tajik people to display political vigilance, have modest feasts on Eid al-Fitr 14 June 2018, 15:04
- Russia's synagogues are ready to meet 10,000 Jewish football fans 13 June 2018, 18:34
- Orthodox believers pray before the Hong Kong Icon of the Mother of God for the future of the Church in China 13 June 2018, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes success to Russian football team 13 June 2018, 16:11
- Nazarbayev invites pope to Astana for congress of religions 07 June 2018, 18:35
- Head of Byelorussian Ministry of Interior about LGBT: they won't go anywhere 07 June 2018, 16:54
- Russian priest stands for sobriety during Football World Cup 07 June 2018, 14:36
- Icons loaned to Lankton's museum in U.S. returned to Russia - Culture Ministry 06 June 2018, 18:07
- Russian Foreign Ministry condemns terror attack against Muslim clerics in Kabul 06 June 2018, 17:48
- Dodon stresses importance of Orthodoxy among Moldavia’s national priorities 06 June 2018, 14:43
- Investigators estimate price of icons, which weren't returned to Russia from U.S., at about 26 mln rubles 05 June 2018, 18:16
- Russian court arrests owner of U.S. museum of Russian icons in absentia, issues int'l arrest warrant 05 June 2018, 18:14
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Football cup among homeless people to be held in Moscow on the eve of the World Cup 04 June 2018, 12:50
- Staging of Babchenko's death immoral deed - Metropolitan Hilarion 04 June 2018, 10:47