24 May 2018, 14:13
Former Pope of Rome in his book criticizes new trends in Catholicism - Metropolitan Hilarion
Moscow, May 24, Interfax - Head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion tells about critical attitude of former Pope of Rome Benedict XVI to some new trends in Catholicism as the former pontiff wrote about it in his book Theology of the Liturgy.
“Joseph Ratzinger opposes surface “creativity”, emasculation of true content and goal of the liturgy as live connection with God and His creation: such trends sometimes appear in modern Western Christianity,” Metropolitan Hilarion said at a presentation of the Russian edition in Moscow.
According to the hierarch, some questions touched upon in the book (novelties in rites and such liturgical experiments as services without priests) refer to the sphere of exceptionally Catholic problems.
“However, it is important that Russian readers who have heard a lot about modernist trends in contemporary Catholicism would get acquainted with critical view of the prominent theologian on post-council development (it refers to the Second Vatican Council 1962-1965 - IF), on painful gaps from tradition and difficulties of renovation,” the hierarch believes.
Metropolitan Hilarion confessed that it was interesting for him as a church composer to read the final part of the book dedicated to the theology of church music, where the author gives profound theological analysis of liturgical music and precisely evaluates modern successful and unsuccessful search in this field.
The Russian edition is published by St. Gregory Foundation in 2017 and is timed for Benedict’s XVI 90-th birthday.
- Most Russians believe there are forces trying to undermine traditional spiritual values - poll 20 August 2018, 17:42
- Militant attacks in Chechnya aimed at disrupting Eid al-Adha celebrations - Kadyrov 20 August 2018, 16:10
- Tajik president urges citizens to be modest, vigilant 20 August 2018, 15:14
- A prayer about dogs and cats to held in the church near Moscow on the World Day of Protection of Homeless Animals 17 August 2018, 12:33
- Check of leader of Jewish movement Shahar for extremism might have to do with social media post - lawyer 13 August 2018, 17:28
- Teen suspected of setting fire to church in Karelia to be evaluated for sanity 13 August 2018, 14:29
- Teenage Satanist suspected of setting fire to wooden church in Karelia 13 August 2018, 12:58
- Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer 10 August 2018, 20:53
- Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests 10 August 2018, 10:43
- St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack 10 August 2018, 10:40
- Activists set up organization to protect rights of Orthodox believers in Eastern Europe 07 August 2018, 13:58
- Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman 07 August 2018, 13:12
- Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 18:01
- Russia to memorialize 20 Holocaust execution sites 06 August 2018, 17:56
- Agenda of meeting between patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew in works - Russian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 14:49
- Priest visits Oleg Sentsov in prison 06 August 2018, 14:05
- Patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew to meet in Istanbul on Aug 31 06 August 2018, 13:45
- Moldova preparing for Patriarch Kirill's visit 02 August 2018, 12:32
- Poroshenko dismissed an official who promised him autocephaly to the Day of Russia's Baptism - media 02 August 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill appoints Grigory Antyufeyev acting general director of Sofrino (updated) 30 July 2018, 14:46
- No searches being conducted at Sofrino - source 30 July 2018, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill removes long-term church administrator Parkhayev from all posts 30 July 2018, 12:35
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry estimates number of participants in so-called Kiev Patriarchate's procession as 65,000 people 28 July 2018, 17:47
- Poroshenko sees Russian Orthodox Church as threat to Ukraine 28 July 2018, 16:15
- Putin sees Christianization of Kievan Rus as start of Russia's statehood 28 July 2018, 14:29
- Putin joins religious procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus in Moscow 28 July 2018, 14:24
- Poroshenko joins schismatics' procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus in Kiev 28 July 2018, 12:56
- Russian Orthodox Church to resist attempts to separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church from it - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2018, 09:07
- About 250,000 attend cross procession in Kiev - organizers 27 July 2018, 17:38
- Kiev cross procession begins 27 July 2018, 14:22