24 May 2018, 14:13
Former Pope of Rome in his book criticizes new trends in Catholicism - Metropolitan Hilarion
Moscow, May 24, Interfax - Head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion tells about critical attitude of former Pope of Rome Benedict XVI to some new trends in Catholicism as the former pontiff wrote about it in his book Theology of the Liturgy.
“Joseph Ratzinger opposes surface “creativity”, emasculation of true content and goal of the liturgy as live connection with God and His creation: such trends sometimes appear in modern Western Christianity,” Metropolitan Hilarion said at a presentation of the Russian edition in Moscow.
According to the hierarch, some questions touched upon in the book (novelties in rites and such liturgical experiments as services without priests) refer to the sphere of exceptionally Catholic problems.
“However, it is important that Russian readers who have heard a lot about modernist trends in contemporary Catholicism would get acquainted with critical view of the prominent theologian on post-council development (it refers to the Second Vatican Council 1962-1965 - IF), on painful gaps from tradition and difficulties of renovation,” the hierarch believes.
Metropolitan Hilarion confessed that it was interesting for him as a church composer to read the final part of the book dedicated to the theology of church music, where the author gives profound theological analysis of liturgical music and precisely evaluates modern successful and unsuccessful search in this field.
The Russian edition is published by St. Gregory Foundation in 2017 and is timed for Benedict’s XVI 90-th birthday.
- Most Orthodox Christians support decision to sever communion with Constantinople - Patriarch Kirill 19 October 2018, 17:38
- Constantinople refuses to sever communion with Russian Orthodox Church (updated) 19 October 2018, 17:36
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia cuts ties with Constantinople 19 October 2018, 14:31
- The Ukrainian metropolitan: Constantinople abandoned God 19 October 2018, 13:07
- Putin about nuclear war: we'll go straight to paradise, while they will simply pop off 19 October 2018, 10:58
- St. Andrew's Church in Kiev to stay property of state - press service for Sophia of Kiev National Sanctuary Complex 18 October 2018, 18:43
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church disagrees with transfer of St. Andrew's Church to Constantinople 18 October 2018, 18:41
- Ukrainian parliament supports transfer of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev to Constantinople 18 October 2018, 14:36
- Media review: Metropolitan Hilarion: "The fact that the Patriarchate of Constantinople has recognized a schismatic structure means for us that it itself is now in schism" 18 October 2018, 13:22
- Leaders of non-canonical churches of Ukraine differ on 'autocephaly' issue – media 18 October 2018, 11:03
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church disproves forecasts of mass exodus of its clergy, congregation to Constantinople's church 18 October 2018, 11:00
- Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko) who proclaimed himself Constantinople cleric says each Ukrainian orthodox bishop should choose whose side to belong 17 October 2018, 10:12
- Russian Orthodox Church planning to address issue of pastoral direction for Russians on territory of Constantinople Patriarchate (updated) 16 October 2018, 19:08
- Dodon proposes hosting Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova 16 October 2018, 18:00
- Peskov: Kremlin concerned by relations between Russian Orthodox Church and Constantinople 16 October 2018, 15:47
- Poroshenko to propose granting Constantinople permanent use of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev 16 October 2018, 13:57
- Russian Orthodox Church takes path of self-isolation - Poroshenko 16 October 2018, 13:10
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church appoints new bishops to administer parishes in Europe, U.S 16 October 2018, 11:45
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church leader attended Russian Synod meeting, supported its decision - Metropolitan Hilarion 16 October 2018, 10:14
- Belarusian Orthodox Church joins Holy Synod's decision to break up with Constantinople 16 October 2018, 10:10
- Former primate of Orthodox Church in U.S. opposes U.S. policy about church in Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:24
- Moscow Patriarchate renews calls for Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining Church unity - Russian Synod 15 October 2018, 22:21
- Russian Church hopes Ukrainian believers will not be harassed 15 October 2018, 22:17
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes Patriarch of Constantinople will change his mind on Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:13
- Further Eucharistic communion with Patriarchate of Constantinople deemed impossible - Russian Synod's decision 15 October 2018, 22:10
- Court throws out Pentecostals' suit seeking agreement with penitentiary service on prison visits in Astrakhan 15 October 2018, 17:56
- Lukashenko blames politicians for events in Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 15:24
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church discussing possible response to Constantinople's actions 15 October 2018, 14:30
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43