22 May 2018, 16:50
Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country
Chisinau, May 22, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon has criticized the government and police for permitting a march of sexual minorities in Chisinau on May 19.
"I strongly denounce the authorities and police for facilitating the organization of this march. These values are alien to us, and I don't accept them. I favor traditional family values and the observance of Orthodox traditions," Dodon said at a press conference on Tuesday.
"The police's behavior was unacceptable in that they took measures against those who wished to prevent the march from being held," he said.
"If the government wanted this march to be held so badly, they should have held it in the government building. There was no need to block traffic throughout the entire city because of a few dozen people," Dodon said.
Dodon said he was not against development of relations with the West, but "they should not force values alien to us [on us] so persistently."
"Ninety-eight percent of the people in our country are Orthodox. This explains society's sensitive reaction to these marches and the imposition of these ideas. Our society rejects them, and this should be taken into consideration," he said.
This year, the marchers managed to walk the entire length of the planned route for the first time. Attempts by Orthodox activists to disrupt the march were prevented by police, who took unprecedented security measures by blocking the central streets in Chisinau to traffic.
Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and All Moldova condemned the march and demanded that the Chisinau administration not allow it. A week before, the Orthodox Church conducted a march in defense of family values.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07