22 May 2018, 16:50
Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country
Chisinau, May 22, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon has criticized the government and police for permitting a march of sexual minorities in Chisinau on May 19.
"I strongly denounce the authorities and police for facilitating the organization of this march. These values are alien to us, and I don't accept them. I favor traditional family values and the observance of Orthodox traditions," Dodon said at a press conference on Tuesday.
"The police's behavior was unacceptable in that they took measures against those who wished to prevent the march from being held," he said.
"If the government wanted this march to be held so badly, they should have held it in the government building. There was no need to block traffic throughout the entire city because of a few dozen people," Dodon said.
Dodon said he was not against development of relations with the West, but "they should not force values alien to us [on us] so persistently."
"Ninety-eight percent of the people in our country are Orthodox. This explains society's sensitive reaction to these marches and the imposition of these ideas. Our society rejects them, and this should be taken into consideration," he said.
This year, the marchers managed to walk the entire length of the planned route for the first time. Attempts by Orthodox activists to disrupt the march were prevented by police, who took unprecedented security measures by blocking the central streets in Chisinau to traffic.
Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and All Moldova condemned the march and demanded that the Chisinau administration not allow it. A week before, the Orthodox Church conducted a march in defense of family values.
- Belarusian Orthodox Church head to discuss with authorities possible peaceful resolution to protests 12 August 2020, 16:49
- Ukrainian Uman expects uo to 10,000 Chassidic pilgrims this year 11 August 2020, 15:36
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Lukashenko on winning Belarusian presidential election 11 August 2020, 10:00
- Tablighi Jamaat literature found in mosques in Mordovia, activists detained 10 August 2020, 20:44
- Some 30 Belarusian priests join flash mob against vote-rigging in election 10 August 2020, 18:35
- 'Main exorcist' of Russian Orthodox Church dies of coronavirus 10 August 2020, 18:27
- "Innovative" church with a dome in the form of an Old Russian helmet may appear in Moscow Region 07 August 2020, 18:11
- Zelensky confirms the right of the UOC to use the Kiev Lavra of the Caves 07 August 2020, 17:57
- Teenage girl dies in Sredneuralsky Convent in Russia's Ural region 07 August 2020, 11:51
- Man who attacked priests with knife in Moscow church gets 1.5 years in penal colony 06 August 2020, 15:39
- Ideologues of destructive religious movements become active in Kazakhstan during quarantine 06 August 2020, 15:14
- Hegumeness of Sredneuralsky Convent calls on followers of schismatic schema-monk Sergy to come to their senses 03 August 2020, 16:52
- Ways to bypass coronavirus-related entry ban for pilgrimage to Ukraine being advertised in Israel 03 August 2020, 14:01
- Top Russian Orthodox priest speaks out against contraception 03 August 2020, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill says there is not a drop of truth in rumors about his wealth 03 August 2020, 11:56
- Christianization of Rus was the main revolution in Russian history - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2020, 20:26
- Poroshenko 'proud' of tomos criminal case against him 28 July 2020, 18:49
- Half of Georgian residents agree that faith helps protect against coronavirus - poll 28 July 2020, 16:54
- Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings 28 July 2020, 14:04
- Kyrgyz Muslim board cancels Eid al-Adha collective prayers due to Covid-19 28 July 2020, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for learning lessons from Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque, Nantes Cathedral arson 27 July 2020, 17:00
- About three billion rubles donated annually for construction of Orthodox churches in Moscow 27 July 2020, 15:20
- Russian Church calls female circumcision barbaric 27 July 2020, 10:18
- Russian metropolitan is ready to become a volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial 27 July 2020, 10:15
- Patriarch Kirill obliges mother superior of a Moscow monastery to sell her luxury Mercedes 27 July 2020, 10:07
- Ukraine proposes to introduce fine for promoting homosexuality 24 July 2020, 19:43
- Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent 24 July 2020, 19:38
- Patriarch Kirill approves decision of Yekaterinburg Diocese's court to defrock monk Sergy (Romanov) 24 July 2020, 11:25
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue 24 July 2020, 10:57
- Fourteen nuns leave Sredneuralsky Convent taken over by former schema-hegumen 23 July 2020, 18:08