21 May 2018, 11:50
Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau
Chisinau, May 21, Interfax - Sexual minorities have held their first successful pride parade in Moldova; they walked along Ismail and Bucuresti streets to the Palace of the Republic.
Orthodox Church members tried to thwart the parade, but the police stopped them and prevented clashes, an Interfax correspondent reported from the ground.
Attempted parades of the past two years were cut short two blocks from Ismail Street, on the junction of Bucuresti and Armenian streets. Orthodox Church members were heatedly expressing their indignation after the parade went past the junction and reached the center of the city.
The parade covered a distance of about three kilometers, which was record for Chisinau. None of the earlier parades went for more than one kilometer.
This year's parade also had the biggest turnout, which the police estimated at about 500 people.
The parade was successful thanks to the police protection. Thousands of police officers were escorting the parade on both sides of the street. Besides, all streets crossing Bucuresti and other streets in the center of Chisinau were closed for traffic.
Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and all Moldova condemned the parade and demanded that the Chisinau city administration prohibit it from being held. The Orthodox Church organized a march in defense of family values on May 12. President Igor Dodon and his family took part in the march and spoke in defense of traditional family and Orthodox values.
- Turkey's position on Hagia Sophia aimed at boosting domestic ratings, regretful - Slutsky 10 July 2020, 21:47
- Revocation of Hagia Sophia's museum status a blow to Orthodox Christianity - Metropolitan Hilarion 10 July 2020, 19:50
- Russian Orthodox Church says turning Hagia Sophia into mosque will have consequences for all of humankind 10 July 2020, 19:21
- Decision on Hagia Sophia undermines Ankara's int'l authority - Kosachyov 10 July 2020, 18:31
- Russian Orthodox Church regrets Turkey's failure to heed millions of Christians' concerns about status of Hagia Sophia 10 July 2020, 17:03
- Kremlin has more important things to do than watch film on LGBT situation in Chechnya - Peskov 10 July 2020, 16:59
- Georgian Patriarchate concerned about Turkish authorities' idea of making Hagia Sophia mosque 10 July 2020, 10:36
- Russians become more loyal to marriages with non-Christians 08 July 2020, 12:14
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08