22 February 2018, 11:25
Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police
Dushanbe, February 22, Interfax - The police have detained two followers of the radical Salafism movement which is banned in Tajikistan, Interfax was told at the press center of the Tajik Interior Ministry on Thursday.
According to the ministry, 32-year-old Akmal Safarov and 35-year-old Alisher Nuraliyev, residents of a district bordering on Afghanistan, were wanted on charges of recruiting people for further participation in an armed conflict in a foreign state.
The defendants intended to travel to Syria via Kazakhstan to join terrorists, the ministry said.
To avoid detention they dressed up as pious women but were stopped by officers of the department for combating organized crime, a press officer said.
The Salafi movement or Salafist movement or Salafism is an ultra-conservative reform movement within Sunni Islam that advocates a return to the traditions of the salaf, who are the first three generations of Muslims after the Prophet Muhammed. Salafism is often likened to Wahhabism.
In secular Muslim countries such as Central Asian republics Salafism is regarded as an extremist movement.
The Supreme Court of Tajikistan on January 8, 2009 banned Salafism in the territory of the country and on December 8, 2014 declared it an extremist movement.
Earlier the Tajik authorities announced that most of the Tajik citizens fighting in Syria and Iraq on the side of ISIL (banned in Russia) were followers of Salafism.
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29