22 February 2018, 11:25
Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police
Dushanbe, February 22, Interfax - The police have detained two followers of the radical Salafism movement which is banned in Tajikistan, Interfax was told at the press center of the Tajik Interior Ministry on Thursday.
According to the ministry, 32-year-old Akmal Safarov and 35-year-old Alisher Nuraliyev, residents of a district bordering on Afghanistan, were wanted on charges of recruiting people for further participation in an armed conflict in a foreign state.
The defendants intended to travel to Syria via Kazakhstan to join terrorists, the ministry said.
To avoid detention they dressed up as pious women but were stopped by officers of the department for combating organized crime, a press officer said.
The Salafi movement or Salafist movement or Salafism is an ultra-conservative reform movement within Sunni Islam that advocates a return to the traditions of the salaf, who are the first three generations of Muslims after the Prophet Muhammed. Salafism is often likened to Wahhabism.
In secular Muslim countries such as Central Asian republics Salafism is regarded as an extremist movement.
The Supreme Court of Tajikistan on January 8, 2009 banned Salafism in the territory of the country and on December 8, 2014 declared it an extremist movement.
Earlier the Tajik authorities announced that most of the Tajik citizens fighting in Syria and Iraq on the side of ISIL (banned in Russia) were followers of Salafism.
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16
- Unknown individuals attempt to set church in Ukraine's Nikolayev Region on fire 12 February 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on Athos not to have communion with Ukraine's new church 11 February 2019, 12:47
- Shoigu: 33 mln photos of war veterans to decorate road to church in Patriot Park 11 February 2019, 11:59
- Another 2 Athos monasteries refuse to host bishop of new Ukrainian church 11 February 2019, 11:55
- Athos monks moving to Russian monastery in protest against communication with new Ukrainian church 11 February 2019, 11:01
- Bishop of Ukraine’s new church was not allowed to Russian monastery on Athos 11 February 2019, 10:58
- Ukrainian Constitutional Court to consider constitutionality of law on changing subordination of religious organizations 11 February 2019, 10:43
- Hierarch of a new Ukraine’s church celebrates his first liturgy on Athos 08 February 2019, 17:48
- Jehovah's Witnesses implicated in 100 cases in Russia 08 February 2019, 16:49
- Jehovah's Witnesses' right to practice religion stipulated in Constitution shouldn't be restricted - HRC head 07 February 2019, 18:09
- Jehovah's Witnesses use prison term of the Danish citizen to blacken Russia - expert on sects 07 February 2019, 17:59
- Jehovah's Witnesses situation difficult, issue to be discussed - Peskov (updated) 07 February 2019, 13:27
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Mordovia detained 07 February 2019, 12:48
- Kazakh Senate speaker speaks against hijabs in schools 07 February 2019, 11:37
- Criminal case opened against Jehovah's Witnesses followers in Khanty-Mansi Autonomous District 07 February 2019, 10:27
- EU demands that Russia immediately free Danish Jehovah's Witness sentenced for extremism 07 February 2019, 10:24
- Lawyers appeal sentence of Dane convicted for organizing Jehovah's Witnesses community in Oryol 06 February 2019, 18:32