22 February 2018, 11:25
Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police
Dushanbe, February 22, Interfax - The police have detained two followers of the radical Salafism movement which is banned in Tajikistan, Interfax was told at the press center of the Tajik Interior Ministry on Thursday.
According to the ministry, 32-year-old Akmal Safarov and 35-year-old Alisher Nuraliyev, residents of a district bordering on Afghanistan, were wanted on charges of recruiting people for further participation in an armed conflict in a foreign state.
The defendants intended to travel to Syria via Kazakhstan to join terrorists, the ministry said.
To avoid detention they dressed up as pious women but were stopped by officers of the department for combating organized crime, a press officer said.
The Salafi movement or Salafist movement or Salafism is an ultra-conservative reform movement within Sunni Islam that advocates a return to the traditions of the salaf, who are the first three generations of Muslims after the Prophet Muhammed. Salafism is often likened to Wahhabism.
In secular Muslim countries such as Central Asian republics Salafism is regarded as an extremist movement.
The Supreme Court of Tajikistan on January 8, 2009 banned Salafism in the territory of the country and on December 8, 2014 declared it an extremist movement.
Earlier the Tajik authorities announced that most of the Tajik citizens fighting in Syria and Iraq on the side of ISIL (banned in Russia) were followers of Salafism.
- Patriarch Kirill: We fight for justice in Syria 21 March 2018, 16:46
- Church official regrets that unlike Oxford and Harvard restoration of university churches in Russia provoke negative reaction 20 March 2018, 14:07
- Traveler Konuykhov plans to set up an Orthodox cross at the bottom of the Marianna Trench 20 March 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes western countries do not pay attention to the provoked by them exodus of Christians from the Middle East 19 March 2018, 21:06
- Patriarch Kirill: presidential elections showed unity of Russians around their national leader 19 March 2018, 17:59
- The whole world will lose from anti-Russian actions of the West, the Russian church official believes 15 March 2018, 16:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes not only Bulgaria, but all countries of the former Warsaw Pact tend to revising history 12 March 2018, 19:13
- Jewish scientist proves that main provisions of Kabbalah coincides with scientific view on universe 12 March 2018, 18:24
- The Russian Church doubts the decency of the Armenian priest who spoke against divine nature of the Holy Fire 12 March 2018, 16:58
- 21 Orthodox churches to open in Moscow this year 07 March 2018, 16:35
- Captain of the Russian ice hockey team visited the Sredneuralsky Monastery to thank God for victory 07 March 2018, 16:32
- Arab Spring sparked global religious extremism - Russian Security Council 07 March 2018, 12:57
- Searchers in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev related to possible illegal actions of certain citizens, rather than center itself - prosecutor's office 07 March 2018, 12:53
- Searches take place in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev 07 March 2018, 12:33
- Two religious extremists killed in northern Azerbaijan 07 March 2018, 12:30
- Patriarch Kirill: 50 Orthodox Churches recently taken over in Ukraine 01 March 2018, 18:40
- Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM 01 March 2018, 18:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Bulgaria in March 27 February 2018, 17:53
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39