15 February 2018, 18:32
Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope
Moscow, February 15, Interfax - The threat of a direct clash between representatives of nuclear powers in Syria was the reason for the arrangement of a meeting between the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis, the patriarch said at a meeting with King Abdullah II of Jordan in Moscow on Thursday.
"Russian military-space forces together with [Syrian] government troops were doing their job and doing it very successfully, but other countries formed a coalition and seemed to be doing their own job. And the very fact of the presence of two powerful armed groupings that did not have common coordination was an enormous challenge and an enormous risk of large-scale hostilities," the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said.
"Any mistake could have led to a direct clash of representatives of nuclear powers. And when I felt this danger, I invited Pope Francis to meet immediately even though never in history had the Patriarch of Moscow met the Pope. And we succeeded in coordinating very important positions and drew attention above all to the dangerous situation that had arisen in Syria," the patriarch said.
He said the Pope and he proved to have a common understanding that "terrorism should be fought jointly and in concert by everyone opposed to terrorism [...] One should not be picking brands from the fire to one's own benefit. This is an erroneous and very dangerous approach," he said.
The patriarch regretted that the main countries that could deliver a crushing blow to terrorism cannot organize joint actions, and this arouses suspicion that someone is trying to use terrorism for political purposes.
"But this is not simply a mistaken policy, it is a dangerous policy. One has to pay for the services of terrorists, and we already know what has happened in this connection in a number of countries," the patriarch said.
The historic meeting of the heads of the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church took place on February 12, 2016 in Havana.
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28