15 February 2018, 18:32
Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope
Moscow, February 15, Interfax - The threat of a direct clash between representatives of nuclear powers in Syria was the reason for the arrangement of a meeting between the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis, the patriarch said at a meeting with King Abdullah II of Jordan in Moscow on Thursday.
"Russian military-space forces together with [Syrian] government troops were doing their job and doing it very successfully, but other countries formed a coalition and seemed to be doing their own job. And the very fact of the presence of two powerful armed groupings that did not have common coordination was an enormous challenge and an enormous risk of large-scale hostilities," the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said.
"Any mistake could have led to a direct clash of representatives of nuclear powers. And when I felt this danger, I invited Pope Francis to meet immediately even though never in history had the Patriarch of Moscow met the Pope. And we succeeded in coordinating very important positions and drew attention above all to the dangerous situation that had arisen in Syria," the patriarch said.
He said the Pope and he proved to have a common understanding that "terrorism should be fought jointly and in concert by everyone opposed to terrorism [...] One should not be picking brands from the fire to one's own benefit. This is an erroneous and very dangerous approach," he said.
The patriarch regretted that the main countries that could deliver a crushing blow to terrorism cannot organize joint actions, and this arouses suspicion that someone is trying to use terrorism for political purposes.
"But this is not simply a mistaken policy, it is a dangerous policy. One has to pay for the services of terrorists, and we already know what has happened in this connection in a number of countries," the patriarch said.
The historic meeting of the heads of the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church took place on February 12, 2016 in Havana.
- Group of Ukrainian parliamentarians challenges constitutionality of law obliging Ukrainian Orthodox Church to change its name 21 January 2019, 12:06
- Patriarch of Antioch says opposes actions aimed at dividing Orthodox 18 January 2019, 14:34
- Most valuables not missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - deputy minister 18 January 2019, 14:32
- Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava 18 January 2019, 14:15
- Church takeovers leitmotif of Ukrainian presidential campaign - Russian Orthodox Church 18 January 2019, 14:07
- Enthronement of Yepifaniy to be held on Feb 3 18 January 2019, 12:16
- Russia to return page of ancient Gospel to Serbia, Belgrade to return Roerich's pictures to Russia – Putin 18 January 2019, 12:13
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Homeless man detained on suspicion of setting fire to building at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra 15 January 2019, 14:25
- Fire at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's building contained to area of 400 sq m 14 January 2019, 21:02
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's 2-storey building on fire 14 January 2019, 19:06
- Rights activists report detention of 40 LGBT in Chechnya, Grozny official says it's 'absolute lie' 14 January 2019, 15:13
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39
- Tomos returns from Istanbul to Ukraine 10 January 2019, 14:34
- If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze 09 January 2019, 18:55
- Deputy head of Russian Orthodox Church's DECR added to Myrotvorets database 09 January 2019, 15:00