15 February 2018, 18:32
Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope
Moscow, February 15, Interfax - The threat of a direct clash between representatives of nuclear powers in Syria was the reason for the arrangement of a meeting between the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis, the patriarch said at a meeting with King Abdullah II of Jordan in Moscow on Thursday.
"Russian military-space forces together with [Syrian] government troops were doing their job and doing it very successfully, but other countries formed a coalition and seemed to be doing their own job. And the very fact of the presence of two powerful armed groupings that did not have common coordination was an enormous challenge and an enormous risk of large-scale hostilities," the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said.
"Any mistake could have led to a direct clash of representatives of nuclear powers. And when I felt this danger, I invited Pope Francis to meet immediately even though never in history had the Patriarch of Moscow met the Pope. And we succeeded in coordinating very important positions and drew attention above all to the dangerous situation that had arisen in Syria," the patriarch said.
He said the Pope and he proved to have a common understanding that "terrorism should be fought jointly and in concert by everyone opposed to terrorism [...] One should not be picking brands from the fire to one's own benefit. This is an erroneous and very dangerous approach," he said.
The patriarch regretted that the main countries that could deliver a crushing blow to terrorism cannot organize joint actions, and this arouses suspicion that someone is trying to use terrorism for political purposes.
"But this is not simply a mistaken policy, it is a dangerous policy. One has to pay for the services of terrorists, and we already know what has happened in this connection in a number of countries," the patriarch said.
The historic meeting of the heads of the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church took place on February 12, 2016 in Havana.
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29