17 January 2018, 10:12
Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia
Priozersk, January 17, Interfax - The Priozersk City Court in the Leningrad Region proclaimed a sentence on priest Gleb Grozovsky on pedophilia counts on Wednesday; it took more than four years to investigate the case.
"To find Gleb Viktorovich Grozovsky guilty [...] and to sentence him to 14 years in a high-security prison and one year of custodial restraint," Judge Lyudmila Yashina said.
Only the preamble and the judicial disposition were read out, as the case was heard in camera.
Grozovsky said in his final statement on January 10 "there was no event of a crime" and he was counting on "humane understanding and a fair decision." The final statement was released by the priest's defense.
The prosecution asked a court to sentence Grozovsky, to 15 years in a high-security prison and deprive him of the right to engage in activities involving the upbringing of children for another 12 years.
The Investigative Committee's branch in St. Petersburg reported the completion of the investigation into Grozovsky's case on June 2, 2017.
Earlier reports said Grozovsky was taken from Moscow to St. Petersburg on September 17, 2016 after being extradited from Israel to Russia. He was charged with sexual crimes against three schoolgirls.
According to the investigators, Grozovsky, who was a priest at the Ascension (Sophia) Cathedral in Tsarskoye Selo, molested several children younger than 14 at an Orthodox children's camp on the island of Konevets, Priozyorsk District, Leningrad Region. According to the investigators, Grozovsky committed the same crimes in June 2013 in Greece at the Orthodox children's camp Philadelphia. Grozovsky hid from prosecution and an arrest warrant was issued for him. He was declared internationally wanted in October 2013.
He was suspended from church duties for the period of the investigation.
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29
- Patriarch Kirill sends priest to Istanbul to care for Russian believers after severance of relations with Constantinople 12 November 2018, 13:25
- Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media 09 November 2018, 17:20
- Lugansk Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 09 November 2018, 10:59
- Rector of Moscow Theological Academy added to Mirotvorets database (updated) 08 November 2018, 18:11
- Ukraine's border service comments on denial of entry to rector of Moscow Theological Academy 08 November 2018, 16:09
- Poroshenko ignored millions of Ukrainians in statement on Russian Orthodox Church's place - Moscow Patriarchate 08 November 2018, 14:58
- Moscow Theological Academy rector barred from Ukraine 08 November 2018, 11:10