17 January 2018, 10:12
Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia
Priozersk, January 17, Interfax - The Priozersk City Court in the Leningrad Region proclaimed a sentence on priest Gleb Grozovsky on pedophilia counts on Wednesday; it took more than four years to investigate the case.
"To find Gleb Viktorovich Grozovsky guilty [...] and to sentence him to 14 years in a high-security prison and one year of custodial restraint," Judge Lyudmila Yashina said.
Only the preamble and the judicial disposition were read out, as the case was heard in camera.
Grozovsky said in his final statement on January 10 "there was no event of a crime" and he was counting on "humane understanding and a fair decision." The final statement was released by the priest's defense.
The prosecution asked a court to sentence Grozovsky, to 15 years in a high-security prison and deprive him of the right to engage in activities involving the upbringing of children for another 12 years.
The Investigative Committee's branch in St. Petersburg reported the completion of the investigation into Grozovsky's case on June 2, 2017.
Earlier reports said Grozovsky was taken from Moscow to St. Petersburg on September 17, 2016 after being extradited from Israel to Russia. He was charged with sexual crimes against three schoolgirls.
According to the investigators, Grozovsky, who was a priest at the Ascension (Sophia) Cathedral in Tsarskoye Selo, molested several children younger than 14 at an Orthodox children's camp on the island of Konevets, Priozyorsk District, Leningrad Region. According to the investigators, Grozovsky committed the same crimes in June 2013 in Greece at the Orthodox children's camp Philadelphia. Grozovsky hid from prosecution and an arrest warrant was issued for him. He was declared internationally wanted in October 2013.
He was suspended from church duties for the period of the investigation.
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16
- Unknown individuals attempt to set church in Ukraine's Nikolayev Region on fire 12 February 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on Athos not to have communion with Ukraine's new church 11 February 2019, 12:47
- Shoigu: 33 mln photos of war veterans to decorate road to church in Patriot Park 11 February 2019, 11:59
- Another 2 Athos monasteries refuse to host bishop of new Ukrainian church 11 February 2019, 11:55
- Athos monks moving to Russian monastery in protest against communication with new Ukrainian church 11 February 2019, 11:01
- Bishop of Ukraine’s new church was not allowed to Russian monastery on Athos 11 February 2019, 10:58
- Ukrainian Constitutional Court to consider constitutionality of law on changing subordination of religious organizations 11 February 2019, 10:43
- Hierarch of a new Ukraine’s church celebrates his first liturgy on Athos 08 February 2019, 17:48
- Jehovah's Witnesses implicated in 100 cases in Russia 08 February 2019, 16:49
- Jehovah's Witnesses' right to practice religion stipulated in Constitution shouldn't be restricted - HRC head 07 February 2019, 18:09
- Jehovah's Witnesses use prison term of the Danish citizen to blacken Russia - expert on sects 07 February 2019, 17:59
- Jehovah's Witnesses situation difficult, issue to be discussed - Peskov (updated) 07 February 2019, 13:27
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Mordovia detained 07 February 2019, 12:48
- Kazakh Senate speaker speaks against hijabs in schools 07 February 2019, 11:37
- Criminal case opened against Jehovah's Witnesses followers in Khanty-Mansi Autonomous District 07 February 2019, 10:27
- EU demands that Russia immediately free Danish Jehovah's Witness sentenced for extremism 07 February 2019, 10:24
- Lawyers appeal sentence of Dane convicted for organizing Jehovah's Witnesses community in Oryol 06 February 2019, 18:32