05 December 2017, 11:29
Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome
Moscow, December 5, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said he hopes that division in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church will be overcome.
"I hope that all this division can be overcome at some point with God's mercy. And I would be happy to see an indication that Ukraine's bishops want to overcome this division. They have love in their hearts for those who have separated and, of course, they suffer from this division along with everyone," Patriarch Kirill said during a meeting with Patriarch Daniel of Romania in Moscow.
Patriarch Kirill thanked all local Orthodox churches and the Romanian patriarch personally for supporting the canonical Church in Ukraine.
The Bishops' Council held in Moscow last week considered an address by Filaret Denisenko, leader of the "Kiev Patriarchate," which contained "a request for the restoration of prayer communication with Christians who are part of the Ukrainian church schism." The letter ended with the words "I ask forgiveness for everything I have done, for having sinned in words, deeds and all my feelings, and also sincerely forgive everyone from my heart."
The Bishops' Council saw that address "as a step towards overcoming the division and restoration of church communication by those who once fell away from the unity of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church." The Bishops' Council created a special commission for negotiations with representatives of the Ukrainian schism.
However, Yevstraty Zorya, spokesman for the "Kiev Patriarchate", later said Filaret does not believe he is in breach of the canons with respect to the accusations on which the Russian Church anathematized him in 1997 and said he has no intention of "repenting before the Russian Orthodox Church."
Filaret said on Sunday he was ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill, adding that he has not received any offers of a meeting.
- Patriarch Kirill: We fight for justice in Syria 21 March 2018, 16:46
- Church official regrets that unlike Oxford and Harvard restoration of university churches in Russia provoke negative reaction 20 March 2018, 14:07
- Traveler Konuykhov plans to set up an Orthodox cross at the bottom of the Marianna Trench 20 March 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes western countries do not pay attention to the provoked by them exodus of Christians from the Middle East 19 March 2018, 21:06
- Patriarch Kirill: presidential elections showed unity of Russians around their national leader 19 March 2018, 17:59
- The whole world will lose from anti-Russian actions of the West, the Russian church official believes 15 March 2018, 16:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes not only Bulgaria, but all countries of the former Warsaw Pact tend to revising history 12 March 2018, 19:13
- Jewish scientist proves that main provisions of Kabbalah coincides with scientific view on universe 12 March 2018, 18:24
- The Russian Church doubts the decency of the Armenian priest who spoke against divine nature of the Holy Fire 12 March 2018, 16:58
- 21 Orthodox churches to open in Moscow this year 07 March 2018, 16:35
- Captain of the Russian ice hockey team visited the Sredneuralsky Monastery to thank God for victory 07 March 2018, 16:32
- Arab Spring sparked global religious extremism - Russian Security Council 07 March 2018, 12:57
- Searchers in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev related to possible illegal actions of certain citizens, rather than center itself - prosecutor's office 07 March 2018, 12:53
- Searches take place in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev 07 March 2018, 12:33
- Two religious extremists killed in northern Azerbaijan 07 March 2018, 12:30
- Patriarch Kirill: 50 Orthodox Churches recently taken over in Ukraine 01 March 2018, 18:40
- Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM 01 March 2018, 18:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Bulgaria in March 27 February 2018, 17:53
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39