15 November 2017, 10:00
Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children
Moscow, November 15, Interfax - Russia's Justice Ministry is disappointed by the European Court of Human Rights' (ECHR) decision to refuse to review its decision on the discriminatory nature of the Russian law prohibiting gay propaganda among minors, which is based, among other things, on the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
The Justice Ministry noted with regret that the objections to the ECHR ruling that gave rise to considerable agitation on a national level were not submitted to the Court's Grand Chamber despite the fact that "the circumstances were directly connected with the fundamental principles of morality and the protection of the rights of minors," the ministry said on its website.
"Moreover, the ECHR noted in its judgment on 'Bayev and others v. Russia' that when adopting relevant regulatory provisions on the ban of the propaganda of non-traditional sexual relationships among minors, Russian lawmakers were primarily guided by international legal rules, specifically by the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child," the ministry said in a statement.
Further actions on relevant cases "will take into account the national interest of the Russian Federation and will be in conformity with the generally accepted principles and rules of international law," the ministry said.
Earlier on Tuesday, the ECHR panel of five judges refused to submit for the Grand Chamber's review the court's decision on the Russian law prohibiting gay propaganda among minors. Thus, the ECHR decision of June 20, 2017 has taken legal effect.
The ECHR found in June 2017 that the Russian law is discriminatory.
The judgment was issued simultaneously with an ECHR ruling on an application from a group of Russian nationals, activists of the gay community, complaining about their freedom of expression being violated by the law. Then, the court ordered the Russian government to pay 49,100 euros to Nikolai Bayev, Alexey Kiselyov, and Nikolay Alexeyev, in compensation for pecuniary and non-pecuniary damage and judicial expenses.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14