15 November 2017, 10:00
Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children
Moscow, November 15, Interfax - Russia's Justice Ministry is disappointed by the European Court of Human Rights' (ECHR) decision to refuse to review its decision on the discriminatory nature of the Russian law prohibiting gay propaganda among minors, which is based, among other things, on the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
The Justice Ministry noted with regret that the objections to the ECHR ruling that gave rise to considerable agitation on a national level were not submitted to the Court's Grand Chamber despite the fact that "the circumstances were directly connected with the fundamental principles of morality and the protection of the rights of minors," the ministry said on its website.
"Moreover, the ECHR noted in its judgment on 'Bayev and others v. Russia' that when adopting relevant regulatory provisions on the ban of the propaganda of non-traditional sexual relationships among minors, Russian lawmakers were primarily guided by international legal rules, specifically by the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child," the ministry said in a statement.
Further actions on relevant cases "will take into account the national interest of the Russian Federation and will be in conformity with the generally accepted principles and rules of international law," the ministry said.
Earlier on Tuesday, the ECHR panel of five judges refused to submit for the Grand Chamber's review the court's decision on the Russian law prohibiting gay propaganda among minors. Thus, the ECHR decision of June 20, 2017 has taken legal effect.
The ECHR found in June 2017 that the Russian law is discriminatory.
The judgment was issued simultaneously with an ECHR ruling on an application from a group of Russian nationals, activists of the gay community, complaining about their freedom of expression being violated by the law. Then, the court ordered the Russian government to pay 49,100 euros to Nikolai Bayev, Alexey Kiselyov, and Nikolay Alexeyev, in compensation for pecuniary and non-pecuniary damage and judicial expenses.
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29