17 October 2017, 14:14
Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine
St. Petersburg, October 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia urged parliamentarians from different countries of the world to pay special attention to the attempts of the Verkhovnaya Rada MPs to adopt bills that will infringe on the religious rights of the believers belonging to the canonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
"I cannot help mentioning about continuous legislative attempts in Ukraine to discriminate the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, with which people bind hopes for interethnic reconciliation. Suggested bills, lobbied by radical political and nationalistic forces, will set up legal conditions for bureaucratic interference in internal affairs of dioceses and communities and will result in even tougher religious schism in Ukrainian society," the patriarch said at the 137th Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly held in Petersburg.
The primate stressed that today there is no other force in Ukrainian society, except the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church that can become "a foundation for inter-ethnic reconciliation."
To illustrate his words, the patriarch reminded about the procession with cross in Ukraine which was organized by the canonical Church of Ukraine and attracted over 100,000 people. According to the patriarch, this large-scale action demonstrated that the Orthodox Church in Ukraine stood "exceptionally for internal peace," while the mentioned legislative initiatives of the Verkhovnaya Rada seek "to make believers and the Church an instrument of the inner political struggle."
"It is absolutely unacceptable. I ask you to pay special attention to this situation," the patriarch summed up.
It was reported that Bill No. 4511, which the Verkhovnaya Rada is expected to debate at its session on Thursday, proposes granting special status to religious organizations "the administrative centers of which are located in a state which is designated by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state."
Bill No. 4128 suggests allowing people who are members of a church community to change this church community's charter by a simple majority of votes, a move that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will result in legalizing "forcible" takeovers of its churches and transferring control over them to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
Earlier, besides Russian politicians and diplomats, other local Orthodox Churches and Vatican spoke against adopting these bills.
- Prominent Old Rite representative believes Russia has "sovereignty of the Truth" 23 March 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill: We fight for justice in Syria 21 March 2018, 16:46
- Church official regrets that unlike Oxford and Harvard restoration of university churches in Russia provoke negative reaction 20 March 2018, 14:07
- Traveler Konuykhov plans to set up an Orthodox cross at the bottom of the Marianna Trench 20 March 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes western countries do not pay attention to the provoked by them exodus of Christians from the Middle East 19 March 2018, 21:06
- Patriarch Kirill: presidential elections showed unity of Russians around their national leader 19 March 2018, 17:59
- The whole world will lose from anti-Russian actions of the West, the Russian church official believes 15 March 2018, 16:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes not only Bulgaria, but all countries of the former Warsaw Pact tend to revising history 12 March 2018, 19:13
- Jewish scientist proves that main provisions of Kabbalah coincides with scientific view on universe 12 March 2018, 18:24
- The Russian Church doubts the decency of the Armenian priest who spoke against divine nature of the Holy Fire 12 March 2018, 16:58
- 21 Orthodox churches to open in Moscow this year 07 March 2018, 16:35
- Captain of the Russian ice hockey team visited the Sredneuralsky Monastery to thank God for victory 07 March 2018, 16:32
- Arab Spring sparked global religious extremism - Russian Security Council 07 March 2018, 12:57
- Searchers in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev related to possible illegal actions of certain citizens, rather than center itself - prosecutor's office 07 March 2018, 12:53
- Searches take place in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev 07 March 2018, 12:33
- Two religious extremists killed in northern Azerbaijan 07 March 2018, 12:30
- Patriarch Kirill: 50 Orthodox Churches recently taken over in Ukraine 01 March 2018, 18:40
- Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM 01 March 2018, 18:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Bulgaria in March 27 February 2018, 17:53
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05