17 October 2017, 14:14
Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine
St. Petersburg, October 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia urged parliamentarians from different countries of the world to pay special attention to the attempts of the Verkhovnaya Rada MPs to adopt bills that will infringe on the religious rights of the believers belonging to the canonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
"I cannot help mentioning about continuous legislative attempts in Ukraine to discriminate the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, with which people bind hopes for interethnic reconciliation. Suggested bills, lobbied by radical political and nationalistic forces, will set up legal conditions for bureaucratic interference in internal affairs of dioceses and communities and will result in even tougher religious schism in Ukrainian society," the patriarch said at the 137th Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly held in Petersburg.
The primate stressed that today there is no other force in Ukrainian society, except the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church that can become "a foundation for inter-ethnic reconciliation."
To illustrate his words, the patriarch reminded about the procession with cross in Ukraine which was organized by the canonical Church of Ukraine and attracted over 100,000 people. According to the patriarch, this large-scale action demonstrated that the Orthodox Church in Ukraine stood "exceptionally for internal peace," while the mentioned legislative initiatives of the Verkhovnaya Rada seek "to make believers and the Church an instrument of the inner political struggle."
"It is absolutely unacceptable. I ask you to pay special attention to this situation," the patriarch summed up.
It was reported that Bill No. 4511, which the Verkhovnaya Rada is expected to debate at its session on Thursday, proposes granting special status to religious organizations "the administrative centers of which are located in a state which is designated by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state."
Bill No. 4128 suggests allowing people who are members of a church community to change this church community's charter by a simple majority of votes, a move that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will result in legalizing "forcible" takeovers of its churches and transferring control over them to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
Earlier, besides Russian politicians and diplomats, other local Orthodox Churches and Vatican spoke against adopting these bills.
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53