17 October 2017, 14:14
Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine
St. Petersburg, October 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia urged parliamentarians from different countries of the world to pay special attention to the attempts of the Verkhovnaya Rada MPs to adopt bills that will infringe on the religious rights of the believers belonging to the canonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
"I cannot help mentioning about continuous legislative attempts in Ukraine to discriminate the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, with which people bind hopes for interethnic reconciliation. Suggested bills, lobbied by radical political and nationalistic forces, will set up legal conditions for bureaucratic interference in internal affairs of dioceses and communities and will result in even tougher religious schism in Ukrainian society," the patriarch said at the 137th Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly held in Petersburg.
The primate stressed that today there is no other force in Ukrainian society, except the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church that can become "a foundation for inter-ethnic reconciliation."
To illustrate his words, the patriarch reminded about the procession with cross in Ukraine which was organized by the canonical Church of Ukraine and attracted over 100,000 people. According to the patriarch, this large-scale action demonstrated that the Orthodox Church in Ukraine stood "exceptionally for internal peace," while the mentioned legislative initiatives of the Verkhovnaya Rada seek "to make believers and the Church an instrument of the inner political struggle."
"It is absolutely unacceptable. I ask you to pay special attention to this situation," the patriarch summed up.
It was reported that Bill No. 4511, which the Verkhovnaya Rada is expected to debate at its session on Thursday, proposes granting special status to religious organizations "the administrative centers of which are located in a state which is designated by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state."
Bill No. 4128 suggests allowing people who are members of a church community to change this church community's charter by a simple majority of votes, a move that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will result in legalizing "forcible" takeovers of its churches and transferring control over them to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
Earlier, besides Russian politicians and diplomats, other local Orthodox Churches and Vatican spoke against adopting these bills.
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29