17 October 2017, 14:14
Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine
St. Petersburg, October 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia urged parliamentarians from different countries of the world to pay special attention to the attempts of the Verkhovnaya Rada MPs to adopt bills that will infringe on the religious rights of the believers belonging to the canonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
"I cannot help mentioning about continuous legislative attempts in Ukraine to discriminate the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, with which people bind hopes for interethnic reconciliation. Suggested bills, lobbied by radical political and nationalistic forces, will set up legal conditions for bureaucratic interference in internal affairs of dioceses and communities and will result in even tougher religious schism in Ukrainian society," the patriarch said at the 137th Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly held in Petersburg.
The primate stressed that today there is no other force in Ukrainian society, except the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church that can become "a foundation for inter-ethnic reconciliation."
To illustrate his words, the patriarch reminded about the procession with cross in Ukraine which was organized by the canonical Church of Ukraine and attracted over 100,000 people. According to the patriarch, this large-scale action demonstrated that the Orthodox Church in Ukraine stood "exceptionally for internal peace," while the mentioned legislative initiatives of the Verkhovnaya Rada seek "to make believers and the Church an instrument of the inner political struggle."
"It is absolutely unacceptable. I ask you to pay special attention to this situation," the patriarch summed up.
It was reported that Bill No. 4511, which the Verkhovnaya Rada is expected to debate at its session on Thursday, proposes granting special status to religious organizations "the administrative centers of which are located in a state which is designated by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an aggressor state."
Bill No. 4128 suggests allowing people who are members of a church community to change this church community's charter by a simple majority of votes, a move that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes will result in legalizing "forcible" takeovers of its churches and transferring control over them to the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate".
Earlier, besides Russian politicians and diplomats, other local Orthodox Churches and Vatican spoke against adopting these bills.
- First Orthodox monastery opens in Japan 17 July 2018, 18:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 48,000 euros to Pussy Riot members over 2012 'punk prayer' case 17 July 2018, 13:27
- Russian Church takes notice of findings of new expert examination of imperial family remains – Legoyda (updated) 16 July 2018, 18:06
- Autocephaly is pillar of Ukrainian state - Poroshenko 16 July 2018, 17:33
- Moscow Patriarchate bishop dies in Athos 16 July 2018, 16:28
- Remains found near Yekaterinburg belong to Nicholas II, family - Russian Investigative Committee (updated) 16 July 2018, 12:23
- Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch 16 July 2018, 10:11
- Patriarch visits Church on the Blood in Yekaterinburg 13 July 2018, 18:49
- Patriarch Kirill to lead 21-km procession in memory of Nicholas II's family 12 July 2018, 22:18
- Prosecutor seeks 7 years in penal colony for 'God Kuzya' for creation of sect, fraud 11 July 2018, 17:39
- Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide 11 July 2018, 14:29
- Imperial Orthodox Society denies connection to expulsion of Russian diplomats from Greece 11 July 2018, 13:37
- Putin again goes to Valaam Monastery 11 July 2018, 13:17
- Attempts of Russians to gain influence on Mount Athos resulted in diplomatic scandal - media 11 July 2018, 13:10
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity 09 July 2018, 17:12
- Constantinople's response to Ukrainian Church's request for autocephaly to follow canonical logic - Russian Church official 09 July 2018, 13:24
- Church not planning to recognize authenticity of tsar's remains for 100th anniversary of killing of Nicholas II, family 09 July 2018, 13:16
- Onboard church started functioning at the Aurora cruiser first time after 1917 06 July 2018, 17:23
- Quarter-ton cakes to be baked in Kalmykia for Dalai Lama the 14th birthday 06 July 2018, 13:06
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Constantinople Church never laid claim to Ukrainian Metropolitanate taken over by Russian Orthodox Church in 17th century – theologian 06 July 2018, 12:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not recommend to marry adherents of other religious traditions at backgrounds of the Mundial 02 July 2018, 13:55
- The House of Romanov official: expertise of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ is not completed 02 July 2018, 11:00
- Rumors about temporary nature of transferring the Metropolitanate of Kiev to the Moscow Patriarchate 300 years ago have no confirmation - Metropolitan Hilarion 29 June 2018, 13:55
- Delegation of the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Moscow on July 9 for discussing the topic of Ukrainian autocephaly 29 June 2018, 13:16
- Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate 28 June 2018, 16:50
- After Istanbul visit, Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs dismiss rumors of Constantinople Patriarchate's intention to grant autocephaly 26 June 2018, 19:07
- The hunting control service believes bears in Murmansk 'learned' the schedule of church feasts 26 June 2018, 18:33
- A bell-tower that can be managed from a cellular phone opened in Yamal 26 June 2018, 17:21