21 September 2017, 10:00
Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth
Moscow, September 21, Interfax - Russia will be avoiding politicizing the issue of Soviet soldiers' feats during the Second World War, but in so doing it will be urging objectivity and the historical truth, Russian President Vladimir Putin said.
At a meeting with Russia's Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar and the head of the Federation of Jewish Communities, Alexander Boroda, Putin thanked them for their position of defending the historical truth and Russia's role in the Second World War. The president stressed the importance of understanding the consequences of extremism and nationalist ideas manifest in the extermination of entire peoples.
"We must do everything to prevent this in future. So we will be making every effort to avoid any politicization. But on this sort of issues, doubtless we'll be striving for objectivity and for the truth on which alone a fair society can be based," Putin said, expressing his confidence that what the Russian Jewish community leaders said about the Soviet soldiers' role in the second world war will be heard the world over.
By tradition, on New Year Jews are remembering the exploits of those heroes who saved Jewish people in times of war. "I would therefore like to thank Russia for doing today whatever is possible all the time in order to preserve the historical truth," Lazar said.
This topic is important because Soviet soldiers played a big role in liberating many nations from the Nazi, sustaining the biggest and heaviest of losses of their own in the process. He also noted Russia's striving to renew a museum at the site of the former Sobibor concentration camp in Poland.
"And that someone wants to exclude Russia from this project today, to us this is immoral," Lazar said.
Russian Jews will be raising this issue at a meeting with other Jewish community leaders and advocating Russia's participation in this project, he said.
- First Orthodox monastery opens in Japan 17 July 2018, 18:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 48,000 euros to Pussy Riot members over 2012 'punk prayer' case 17 July 2018, 13:27
- Russian Church takes notice of findings of new expert examination of imperial family remains – Legoyda (updated) 16 July 2018, 18:06
- Autocephaly is pillar of Ukrainian state - Poroshenko 16 July 2018, 17:33
- Moscow Patriarchate bishop dies in Athos 16 July 2018, 16:28
- Remains found near Yekaterinburg belong to Nicholas II, family - Russian Investigative Committee (updated) 16 July 2018, 12:23
- Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch 16 July 2018, 10:11
- Patriarch visits Church on the Blood in Yekaterinburg 13 July 2018, 18:49
- Patriarch Kirill to lead 21-km procession in memory of Nicholas II's family 12 July 2018, 22:18
- Prosecutor seeks 7 years in penal colony for 'God Kuzya' for creation of sect, fraud 11 July 2018, 17:39
- Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide 11 July 2018, 14:29
- Imperial Orthodox Society denies connection to expulsion of Russian diplomats from Greece 11 July 2018, 13:37
- Putin again goes to Valaam Monastery 11 July 2018, 13:17
- Attempts of Russians to gain influence on Mount Athos resulted in diplomatic scandal - media 11 July 2018, 13:10
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity 09 July 2018, 17:12
- Constantinople's response to Ukrainian Church's request for autocephaly to follow canonical logic - Russian Church official 09 July 2018, 13:24
- Church not planning to recognize authenticity of tsar's remains for 100th anniversary of killing of Nicholas II, family 09 July 2018, 13:16
- Onboard church started functioning at the Aurora cruiser first time after 1917 06 July 2018, 17:23
- Quarter-ton cakes to be baked in Kalmykia for Dalai Lama the 14th birthday 06 July 2018, 13:06
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Constantinople Church never laid claim to Ukrainian Metropolitanate taken over by Russian Orthodox Church in 17th century – theologian 06 July 2018, 12:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not recommend to marry adherents of other religious traditions at backgrounds of the Mundial 02 July 2018, 13:55
- The House of Romanov official: expertise of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ is not completed 02 July 2018, 11:00
- Rumors about temporary nature of transferring the Metropolitanate of Kiev to the Moscow Patriarchate 300 years ago have no confirmation - Metropolitan Hilarion 29 June 2018, 13:55
- Delegation of the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Moscow on July 9 for discussing the topic of Ukrainian autocephaly 29 June 2018, 13:16
- Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate 28 June 2018, 16:50
- After Istanbul visit, Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs dismiss rumors of Constantinople Patriarchate's intention to grant autocephaly 26 June 2018, 19:07
- The hunting control service believes bears in Murmansk 'learned' the schedule of church feasts 26 June 2018, 18:33
- A bell-tower that can be managed from a cellular phone opened in Yamal 26 June 2018, 17:21