21 September 2017, 10:00
Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth
Moscow, September 21, Interfax - Russia will be avoiding politicizing the issue of Soviet soldiers' feats during the Second World War, but in so doing it will be urging objectivity and the historical truth, Russian President Vladimir Putin said.
At a meeting with Russia's Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar and the head of the Federation of Jewish Communities, Alexander Boroda, Putin thanked them for their position of defending the historical truth and Russia's role in the Second World War. The president stressed the importance of understanding the consequences of extremism and nationalist ideas manifest in the extermination of entire peoples.
"We must do everything to prevent this in future. So we will be making every effort to avoid any politicization. But on this sort of issues, doubtless we'll be striving for objectivity and for the truth on which alone a fair society can be based," Putin said, expressing his confidence that what the Russian Jewish community leaders said about the Soviet soldiers' role in the second world war will be heard the world over.
By tradition, on New Year Jews are remembering the exploits of those heroes who saved Jewish people in times of war. "I would therefore like to thank Russia for doing today whatever is possible all the time in order to preserve the historical truth," Lazar said.
This topic is important because Soviet soldiers played a big role in liberating many nations from the Nazi, sustaining the biggest and heaviest of losses of their own in the process. He also noted Russia's striving to renew a museum at the site of the former Sobibor concentration camp in Poland.
"And that someone wants to exclude Russia from this project today, to us this is immoral," Lazar said.
Russian Jews will be raising this issue at a meeting with other Jewish community leaders and advocating Russia's participation in this project, he said.
- The whole world will lose from anti-Russian actions of the West, the Russian church official believes 15 March 2018, 16:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes not only Bulgaria, but all countries of the former Warsaw Pact tend to revising history 12 March 2018, 19:13
- Jewish scientist proves that main provisions of Kabbalah coincides with scientific view on universe 12 March 2018, 18:24
- The Russian Church doubts the decency of the Armenian priest who spoke against divine nature of the Holy Fire 12 March 2018, 16:58
- 21 Orthodox churches to open in Moscow this year 07 March 2018, 16:35
- Captain of the Russian ice hockey team visited the Sredneuralsky Monastery to thank God for victory 07 March 2018, 16:32
- Arab Spring sparked global religious extremism - Russian Security Council 07 March 2018, 12:57
- Searchers in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev related to possible illegal actions of certain citizens, rather than center itself - prosecutor's office 07 March 2018, 12:53
- Searches take place in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev 07 March 2018, 12:33
- Two religious extremists killed in northern Azerbaijan 07 March 2018, 12:30
- Patriarch Kirill: 50 Orthodox Churches recently taken over in Ukraine 01 March 2018, 18:40
- Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM 01 March 2018, 18:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Bulgaria in March 27 February 2018, 17:53
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23