14 September 2017, 17:21
Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers
Moscow, September 14, Interfax - Police stand ready to help film distribution companies and local government bodies to ensure security during the screening of the film 'Matilda' by the moviemaker Alexey Uchitel, and decisions on extra security measures will be made depending on the situation, the Russian Interior Ministry told Interfax on Thursday.
"In light of the public's special attention to the release of the film Matilda, in order to ensure security of the viewers and prevent possible provocations, the Interior Ministry's territorial bodies have been instructed to assist distribution companies, regional executive bodies and local self-government bodies in maintaining public order at sites where the film is to be shown," the ministry said.
"Extra measures to maintain public order and protect the buildings and property of distribution companies will be devised and applied by territorial bodies of the Interior Ministry depending on the situation and information on possible unlawful actions," it said.
The film 'Matilda' by Uchitel has gained a lot of publicity long before its release. In particular, State Duma deputy Natalya Poklonskaya asked the Prosecutor General's Office to start an inquiry with regard to the film, as, in her opinion, some of its scenes may insult religious people. The film deals with relationships between future Emperor Nicholas II and ballerina Matilda (Matylda) Krzesinska amid some landmark events of Russian history. The film's official release is scheduled for October 26. The Culture Ministry granted it distribution certificate on August 10.
Amid the threats being received by movie theaters and demands that they not show the film, a number of movie networks have decided not to show it. In particular, the unified Cinema Park and Formula Kino network announced on September 12 that they would not show the film amid the incoming threats.
Unidentified people set fire to two cars near the office of Uchitel's lawyer Konstantin Dobrynin several days ago. In August, an attempt was made to set fire to Uchitel's film studio in St. Petersburg where the movie was shot.
Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky said on Twitter on September 13 that he was outraged by "the hysteria being deliberately fomented" around the film and accused activists harassing the film creators of discrediting the state's culture and church policy. Medinsky also forwarded a letter to Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev asking him to ensure security and curb possible unlawful actions during the screening of the film 'Matilda'.
State Duma deputies Irina Rodnina and Oksana Pushkina sent official requests to the Federal Security Service (FSB) and Interior Ministry on September 13 that the organizations Christian State and Sorok Sorokov, which supposedly threatened the film distributors, be checked for extremism.
- First Orthodox monastery opens in Japan 17 July 2018, 18:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 48,000 euros to Pussy Riot members over 2012 'punk prayer' case 17 July 2018, 13:27
- Russian Church takes notice of findings of new expert examination of imperial family remains – Legoyda (updated) 16 July 2018, 18:06
- Autocephaly is pillar of Ukrainian state - Poroshenko 16 July 2018, 17:33
- Moscow Patriarchate bishop dies in Athos 16 July 2018, 16:28
- Remains found near Yekaterinburg belong to Nicholas II, family - Russian Investigative Committee (updated) 16 July 2018, 12:23
- Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch 16 July 2018, 10:11
- Patriarch visits Church on the Blood in Yekaterinburg 13 July 2018, 18:49
- Patriarch Kirill to lead 21-km procession in memory of Nicholas II's family 12 July 2018, 22:18
- Prosecutor seeks 7 years in penal colony for 'God Kuzya' for creation of sect, fraud 11 July 2018, 17:39
- Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide 11 July 2018, 14:29
- Imperial Orthodox Society denies connection to expulsion of Russian diplomats from Greece 11 July 2018, 13:37
- Putin again goes to Valaam Monastery 11 July 2018, 13:17
- Attempts of Russians to gain influence on Mount Athos resulted in diplomatic scandal - media 11 July 2018, 13:10
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity 09 July 2018, 17:12
- Constantinople's response to Ukrainian Church's request for autocephaly to follow canonical logic - Russian Church official 09 July 2018, 13:24
- Church not planning to recognize authenticity of tsar's remains for 100th anniversary of killing of Nicholas II, family 09 July 2018, 13:16
- Onboard church started functioning at the Aurora cruiser first time after 1917 06 July 2018, 17:23
- Quarter-ton cakes to be baked in Kalmykia for Dalai Lama the 14th birthday 06 July 2018, 13:06
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Constantinople Church never laid claim to Ukrainian Metropolitanate taken over by Russian Orthodox Church in 17th century – theologian 06 July 2018, 12:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not recommend to marry adherents of other religious traditions at backgrounds of the Mundial 02 July 2018, 13:55
- The House of Romanov official: expertise of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ is not completed 02 July 2018, 11:00
- Rumors about temporary nature of transferring the Metropolitanate of Kiev to the Moscow Patriarchate 300 years ago have no confirmation - Metropolitan Hilarion 29 June 2018, 13:55
- Delegation of the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Moscow on July 9 for discussing the topic of Ukrainian autocephaly 29 June 2018, 13:16
- Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate 28 June 2018, 16:50
- After Istanbul visit, Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs dismiss rumors of Constantinople Patriarchate's intention to grant autocephaly 26 June 2018, 19:07
- The hunting control service believes bears in Murmansk 'learned' the schedule of church feasts 26 June 2018, 18:33
- A bell-tower that can be managed from a cellular phone opened in Yamal 26 June 2018, 17:21