13 September 2017, 11:52
Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money
Aleppo, September 13, Interfax - The Ahmat Kadyrov Fund has provided $14 million for the rebuilding of the Syrian Umayyad Mosque, the main mosque of Aleppo, which was destroyed by terrorists in April 2013, Aleppo Mufti Mahmoud Akem said.
"Fourteen million dollars is the amount needed for rebuilding. The Ahmat Kadyrov Fund has promised to provide that money and this money has already been provided," Akem told reporters.
The funding for rebuilding the mosque was promised by Ramzan Kadyrov, the head of Chechnya, who promised to fully rebuild the mosque even if more money is needed, he said.
"Ramzan Kadyrov has offered us help, he has decided to help us in this difficult hour. This person has given such a gift to our state. Our government has accepted this gift," the mufti said, adding that other funds or organizations, including UNESCO, have not yet offered their help with rebuilding the mosque.
The rebuilding is expected to last some two years, the mufti said.
Kadyrov "is also fighting terrorism and he condemns manifestations of extremism in all its forms," the mufti said. "We absolutely think in the same way and I see how he feels about the people of Syria," Akem said.
The Umayyad Mosque of Aleppo was built in 715. According to a legend, the father of John the Baptist, Zacharias, was buried there. The mosque is the largest and oldest in Aleppo and is on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The only tower of the mosque was fully destroyed by militants in April 2013.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26