17 August 2017, 12:33
Vatican secretary of state won't discuss prospects for pope's Russia visit in Moscow - Russian Catholic official
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - The possibility of a visit to Russia by Pope Francis will not be raised during Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin's visit to Moscow on August 21-23, as it is premature to discuss this issue at this point, Priest Igor Kovalevsky, secretary-general of the conference of Catholic bishops of Russia, said.
"The cardinal himself has stressed that this problem will not be discussed," Kovalevsky said at a press conference on Thursday.
Kovalevsky said he personally believes that Russia is not yet ready to receive the pontiff.
"I personally would not support this visit because our society is not yet ready to receive the pope. And there is no need to rush things," he said.
Kovalevsky said he believes that the meeting that took place between Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia a year and a half ago is already a "monumental breakthrough."
"Perhaps it could be a meeting in a third country. Perhaps these meetings may continue. Most likely, it will be like this. But I think it is premature to say that the patriarch could visit the Vatican and the pope could come to Moscow tomorrow," he said.
The Russian Orthodox Church and Russian society need to prepare for that first, the priest said.
"We should be good hosts in order to receive such a distinguished guest," Kovalevsky said.
For his part, Father Stefan (Igumnov), secretary for inter-Christian relations of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations, recalled Parolin's recent interview in which the Vatican official said that discussions on the possibility of the pope's visit to Russia were not on the agenda of his Moscow trip.
- Synod of Ukraine's new Church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch urges not to make mistakes 24 June 2019, 17:44
- Audience of films showing drugs should be warned of danger – Russian Church 24 June 2019, 14:15
- Georgia's LGBT community postpones march due to tensions 24 June 2019, 11:07
- Head of Georgian delegation in IAO refuses parliamentary mandate following riots in Tbilisi 21 June 2019, 17:37
- Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25