16 August 2017, 10:00
Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation
Moscow, August 16, Interfax - The Ukrainian issue will be among topics to be discussed during an upcoming visit to Moscow by the Holy See's Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin on August 20-24.
"The Ukrainian issue is still on the agenda and remains problematic in the relations between the two Churches because of the occasional destructive activities of the Greek Catholics in Ukraine, and it also has a humanitarian dimension," Hieromonk Stefan (Igumnov), the Synodal Department for External Church Relations' secretary for inter-Christian relations, told Interfax-Religion.
"The Russian Orthodox Church values Vatican's position on this issue, which precludes the use of the Holy See for speculations aimed at further escalating the Ukrainian crisis and moving the country's conflict into a purely religious domain," Father Stefan said.
The visit is taking place against the backdrop of the intensified relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church and Vatican after a meeting between the Patriarch and the Pope and will "signify another stage of a cooperation that evolves across a variety of areas," the priest said.
"The Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church are the biggest Christian communities in the world. Their leaders are not afraid of assuming the responsibility to exert authoritative influence on today's social processes, raising their voice in defense of traditional moral values, in support of the Christians suffering in various world regions, primarily in the Middle East, and on a whole host of other issues a successful resolution of which will define the future of the entire humankind," Father Stefan said.
When asked whether the prospect of Pope Francis visiting Moscow might be discussed at the meeting, the priest recalled a recent interview in which the Vatican state secretary said that he had no intention of discussing the matter with the patriarch during his visit.
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04
- Jews all over the world celebrate the Victory Day according to the Jewish calendar 19 May 2020, 12:15
- Putin recommends Russian Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr at home (updated) 18 May 2020, 16:30
- World Russian People's Assembly, led by Patriarch Kirill, demands investigation into causes of pandemic 18 May 2020, 13:38
- LGBT activists in Georgia hold annual rally online due to pandemic 18 May 2020, 11:39
- Life has become a priority first time in Russian history during Covid-19 pandemic - Jewish leader 15 May 2020, 12:22
- Family climate worsens for 10% of Russians in self-isolation, 19% claim opposite - poll 14 May 2020, 18:53
- Eid al-Fitr will not cause crowds outside Moscow's main mosque this year due to coronavirus 14 May 2020, 18:49