08 August 2017, 10:00
Russian Jews appalled by reproaches of trying to monetize Holocaust tragedy
Moscow, August 8, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) views the words of Yury Bondarenko, the director of the Russian-Polish Dialogue Center, who had said the Jewish people take "the mellowest and profitable place in every sense," monetizing the Holocaust tragedy and "dividing the spheres of influence" with the Armenians, as an insult.
"It's regrettable that the head of a government organization responsible for establishing contacts between the peoples is voicing arguments on the Jews' and the Armenians' aspirations to monetize their tragedy. Such words are insulting to two nations that had fallen victims to horrendous reprisals," the FJCR's press service cited Boruch Gorin, the head of its public relations department, as saying.
Such statements "demonize the Jews and the Armenians in the eyes of their neighbors, presenting them as soulless monsters willing to forget about the tragedy of their people for money, undermine the interethnic and interfaith accord in Russia and constitute its opponents a reason to claim that xenophobia's revival is allegedly taking place at the state level in Russia," Gorin said.
The FJCR representative said he hopes that the Russian authorities will take necessary measures to ensure that "such statements imbued with national hatred continue to remain a marginal phenomenon in the country."
Last week, Russian-Polish Dialogue Center director Bondarenko commented on the historical discourse in the policy of current Polish authorities in his own way in an interview with the E-Vesti magazine.
"The Polish elite are to a great extent, predominately, disposed in such way that the Poles' identification is rewriting history, which should result in making the Poles the most discriminated nation ever. At least, in Europe. One can monetize every tragedy in a very beneficial way, if they wish, and receive all sorts of compensations from Germany and many others. To put it bluntly, the Poles are claiming to take the place, which is currently taken by the Jews. [...] Namely the Jews were asked to vacate the seat of the king of the hill. Although O. Henry had said that Bolivar cannot carry double, it already did, the Armenians joined the Jews. They shared [the spheres of influence] and have been fine to date," he said.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26