26 July 2017, 17:07
Israel commits to preserve full access to holy places in Jerusalem - ambassador to Russia
Moscow, July 26, Interfax - Door frame metal detectors and video cameras on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem do not block access to the holy places situated there, and Israel will preserve the status quo, Israeli Ambassador to Russia Gary Koren said.
"We are not going to upset the so-called historical status quo in any way, but we are also responsible for preventing the replay of such horrendous acts of violence," Koren said in an interview with Interfax.
Israel "commits to preserving the status quo," Koren said, explaining that "the status quo means full access for all who wish it."
Anyone who wishes to visit the mosques on the Temple Mount can do this, and Israel does not obstruct this, Koren reiterated.
"Neither door frame metal detectors, which we had removed as a goodwill gesture, nor video cameras can obstruct this," Koren said. "People who go there with clean hands and clean conscience and full respect for the existing situation, if they have no intention of committing an act of violence, should understand the measures we have undertaken. The same technical measures are taken in a lot of countries around the world, including Russia, whenever there is a situation requiring such inspections. This concerns even cultural events, and I don't even mention holy places," he said.
"Israel has fully respected and will fully respect, first, freedom of access for all to holy places and have full respect for Christian, Muslim, and certainly Jewish shrines in the city of Jerusalem," he said.
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52
- Holy Russia leader under prosecution for pressuring cinemas due to Matilda, detained 25 September 2017, 10:04
- Christian State leader released with travel restrictions 22 September 2017, 17:13
- Religious extremist from Tajikistan arrested in Kirov Region 22 September 2017, 17:08
- Suspect confesses to having torched cars outside office of "Matilda" director's lawyer 22 September 2017, 10:00
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00