19 July 2017, 17:35
Kazakhstan not planning to ban Jehovah's Witnesses - minister
Astana, July 19, Interfax - The operations of the Almaty unit of the international religious organization Jehovah's Witnesses have been suspended for three months due to failure to observe anti-terrorist protection rules, but there are no plans to ban it in Kazakhstan, Nurlan Yermekbayev, Kazakhstan's Minister for Religious and Civil Society Affairs, told a briefing in Astana on Wednesday.
"It's a fairly mild form of punishment for failure to observe anti-terrorist protection rules in religious establishments," the minister said.
Violation of the anti-terrorist protection rules was registered by a special commission of law enforcement and security officials," Yermekbayev said.
"They found that those rules were not observed there. They issued an order, but no actions were taken on time and therefore the materials were forwarded to court, and the court made a decision to suspend the operations for three months. If these problems are fixed, the religious organization can continue its operation," Yermekbayev said.
The organization "continues operating calmly" in the other regions of the country, he said.
"The Jehovah's Witnesses religious association is a religious association officially registered in Kazakhstan and therefore it operates in accordance with the legislation. Our position is that this organization is not extremist and there are currently no plans to close it or put any other pressure on it in Kazakhstan," he said.
"There is one demand - the observance of the legislation," the minister said.
In the meantime, the Moscow Supreme Court on April 20 found Russia's Jehovah's Witnesses to be an extremist organization and banned its activity in Russia in line with the Justice Ministry lawsuit. According to the court decision, Jehovah Witnesses' Management Center in Russia head organization and 395 of its regional branches were closed. The organization's property reverted to the state.
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52
- Holy Russia leader under prosecution for pressuring cinemas due to Matilda, detained 25 September 2017, 10:04
- Christian State leader released with travel restrictions 22 September 2017, 17:13
- Religious extremist from Tajikistan arrested in Kirov Region 22 September 2017, 17:08
- Suspect confesses to having torched cars outside office of "Matilda" director's lawyer 22 September 2017, 10:00
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00