19 July 2017, 17:35
Kazakhstan not planning to ban Jehovah's Witnesses - minister
Astana, July 19, Interfax - The operations of the Almaty unit of the international religious organization Jehovah's Witnesses have been suspended for three months due to failure to observe anti-terrorist protection rules, but there are no plans to ban it in Kazakhstan, Nurlan Yermekbayev, Kazakhstan's Minister for Religious and Civil Society Affairs, told a briefing in Astana on Wednesday.
"It's a fairly mild form of punishment for failure to observe anti-terrorist protection rules in religious establishments," the minister said.
Violation of the anti-terrorist protection rules was registered by a special commission of law enforcement and security officials," Yermekbayev said.
"They found that those rules were not observed there. They issued an order, but no actions were taken on time and therefore the materials were forwarded to court, and the court made a decision to suspend the operations for three months. If these problems are fixed, the religious organization can continue its operation," Yermekbayev said.
The organization "continues operating calmly" in the other regions of the country, he said.
"The Jehovah's Witnesses religious association is a religious association officially registered in Kazakhstan and therefore it operates in accordance with the legislation. Our position is that this organization is not extremist and there are currently no plans to close it or put any other pressure on it in Kazakhstan," he said.
"There is one demand - the observance of the legislation," the minister said.
In the meantime, the Moscow Supreme Court on April 20 found Russia's Jehovah's Witnesses to be an extremist organization and banned its activity in Russia in line with the Justice Ministry lawsuit. According to the court decision, Jehovah Witnesses' Management Center in Russia head organization and 395 of its regional branches were closed. The organization's property reverted to the state.
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53