03 July 2017, 20:18
Monks in Valaam breed peacocks
Moscow, July 3, Interfax - Monks of the Holy Transfiguration Monastery are involved in breeding peacocks.
"There are already 20 of them, and majority of them were born on Valaam. If you hear strange sounds from the other bank when you stay in St. Nicholas Hermitage on Valaam, don't be surprised, it is Father Methody's peacocks," Father Superior of the monastery Bishop Pankraty of Troitsk writes at his page in a social net.
Hegumen Methody (Petrov), Macedonian by origin, who has been residing on Valaam from 1993, is involved in breeding peacocks. He has also initiated numerous charitable projects for local residents, participated in reviving the monastery and developing pilgrimage and tourism on the archipelago.
Besides, it was reported that Valaam monks started growing pineapples in greenhouses, and there are plenty of apples and other fruit trees in monastic gardens, some of them are over 100 years old.
Animals and birds, including exotic ones, more and more often appear in Orthodox monasteries of Russia and become companions for monks and favorite pets for pilgrims.
The Serpukhov monastery of Mistress and Presentation of the Holy Virgin in the Moscow Region was the first convent which started breeding peacocks. These beautiful birds are more and more often seen in monasteries not only in South and Central Russia, but also in Siberia. Other exotic for Russia animals make company to them. For example, a peacock, a duck with a drake and a young deer reside in St. Michael Arсhangel Monastery in the village of Kozikha, the Novosibirsk Region.
Sometimes exotic animals and birds not only make the landscape beautiful, but also fulfill their social role. Thus, a camel was conveyed to the Novogolutvin Monastery of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin in the Moscow Region and then it became a pet of the Sunday school pupils.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26