25 June 2017, 15:52
Thousands of Muslims mark Eid al-Fitr in Moscow Cathedral Mosque
Moscow, June 25, Interfax - Several thousands of people gathered in the Moscow Cathedral Mosque on Monday to pray on Eid al-Fitr, one of the main holidays, which marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.
The holiday service is conducted by Ravil Gainutdin the head of the Russian Council of Muftis. The mosque and its territory are fully of believers. Hundreds of Muslims who were unable to get inside have gathered on the neighboring streets, putting prayer carpets on the ground.
"I am asking the All-Merciful Creator to strengthen our faith, to increase our virtue, to put feelings of mercy and commiseration with our neighbor in our hearts, to give peace ad wellbeing to our Fatherland and all mankind," Gainutdin said in his address to believers.
The mufti called on them to be generous and responsive, saying thee qualities are characteristic of believes and a lack of them is a sign of a lack of faith.
Prayers are also being conducted in Moscow in the Historical, Memorial and other mosques and on special sites. Some streets have been closed to traffic due to the holiday.
Eid al-Fitr marks the end of the fast, which lasted through the month of Ramadan. According to Islam, Allah gave the Koran to the people in that month.
Before the holiday, Muslims are supposed to fulfill their obligation to the Almightily One in favor of needy people. Spiritual directorates of Muslims establish the amount of alms to men, women and children every year. This year, it is 100 rubles for low-income people, 300 rubles for people with average incomes and from 500 people for wealthy people.
The holiday is marked for three days. In that time, Muslims go to mosques and read the Koran. The celebrations continue at the holiday table, when people visit each other and give each other gifts. It is also a tradition to help the poor so that everyone can take part in the celebration.
On these days, all relatives are expected to come together because it is believes that the souls of he dead come to their relatives' houses at Eid al-Fitr. Additionally, every Muslim considers it his duty to visit his ancestors' graves.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26