19 May 2017, 19:00
Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws
Minsk, May 19, Interfax - Metropolitan Pavel of Minsk and Zaslavsk, Patriarchal Exarch for All Belarus, has issued an address to Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko regarding the bills submitted to the Verkhovnaya Rada relating to the work of religious organizations.
"I am asking you on behalf of the Synod of the Belarusian Exarchate, the clergy and the numerous flock of the Belarusian Orthodox Church and the people of the Republic of Belarus as a guarantor of the observance of the Constitution of Ukraine, human rights and freedoms and a citizen of the country who are entrusted with running to protect the rights and freedom of religion of our brotherly people of Ukraine," Metropolitan Pavel said in his latter, which is available for viewing on the official website of the Belarusian Orthodox Church.
The head of the Belarusian Orthodox Church said he believes the adoption of Bill N4128 On Changes to the Law of Ukraine On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations and Bill N4511 On the Special Status of Religious Organizations Whose Administrative Centers Are Located in a State Recognized by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an Aggressor State "will become a foundation for an encroachment on the constitutional rights and freedoms of millions of citizens of Ukraine and glaring discrimination against an overwhelming majority of the country has on its affiliation with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is unprecedented in the life of modern civilized human society."
The metropolitan also said he believes that "if the said bills are adopted, it may put Ukraine in the chaos of unprecedented civil war based on religious persecution and repression against Ukrainian Orthodox faith."
According to earlier reports, Bills N4511 and N4128 were on the agenda of the parliament on Thursday to be heard in the first reading.
Representatives of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and believers protested the adoption of those laws in front of the Verkhovnaya Rada building on Thursday.
- Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch 16 July 2018, 10:11
- Patriarch visits Church on the Blood in Yekaterinburg 13 July 2018, 18:49
- Patriarch Kirill to lead 21-km procession in memory of Nicholas II's family 12 July 2018, 22:18
- Prosecutor seeks 7 years in penal colony for 'God Kuzya' for creation of sect, fraud 11 July 2018, 17:39
- Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide 11 July 2018, 14:29
- Imperial Orthodox Society denies connection to expulsion of Russian diplomats from Greece 11 July 2018, 13:37
- Putin again goes to Valaam Monastery 11 July 2018, 13:17
- Attempts of Russians to gain influence on Mount Athos resulted in diplomatic scandal - media 11 July 2018, 13:10
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity 09 July 2018, 17:12
- Constantinople's response to Ukrainian Church's request for autocephaly to follow canonical logic - Russian Church official 09 July 2018, 13:24
- Church not planning to recognize authenticity of tsar's remains for 100th anniversary of killing of Nicholas II, family 09 July 2018, 13:16
- Onboard church started functioning at the Aurora cruiser first time after 1917 06 July 2018, 17:23
- Quarter-ton cakes to be baked in Kalmykia for Dalai Lama the 14th birthday 06 July 2018, 13:06
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Constantinople Church never laid claim to Ukrainian Metropolitanate taken over by Russian Orthodox Church in 17th century – theologian 06 July 2018, 12:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not recommend to marry adherents of other religious traditions at backgrounds of the Mundial 02 July 2018, 13:55
- The House of Romanov official: expertise of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ is not completed 02 July 2018, 11:00
- Rumors about temporary nature of transferring the Metropolitanate of Kiev to the Moscow Patriarchate 300 years ago have no confirmation - Metropolitan Hilarion 29 June 2018, 13:55
- Delegation of the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Moscow on July 9 for discussing the topic of Ukrainian autocephaly 29 June 2018, 13:16
- Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate 28 June 2018, 16:50
- After Istanbul visit, Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs dismiss rumors of Constantinople Patriarchate's intention to grant autocephaly 26 June 2018, 19:07
- The hunting control service believes bears in Murmansk 'learned' the schedule of church feasts 26 June 2018, 18:33
- A bell-tower that can be managed from a cellular phone opened in Yamal 26 June 2018, 17:21
- The Gorno-Altaysk archbishop dived to the bottom of a lake 26 June 2018, 17:18
- Russian MP Gavrilov elected president of General Assembly of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy 26 June 2018, 17:13
- The Georgian Church against legalizing marijuana 25 June 2018, 17:10
- Russian LGBT activists contest in ECHR bans on gay pride parades in 118 cities 25 June 2018, 14:58
- The Museum of Ball opened in Sochi is decorated with frescoes painted by church artists 20 June 2018, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of UN Secretary-General to harmful for humanity consequences of giving up traditional morals 20 June 2018, 17:10