19 May 2017, 19:00
Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws
Minsk, May 19, Interfax - Metropolitan Pavel of Minsk and Zaslavsk, Patriarchal Exarch for All Belarus, has issued an address to Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko regarding the bills submitted to the Verkhovnaya Rada relating to the work of religious organizations.
"I am asking you on behalf of the Synod of the Belarusian Exarchate, the clergy and the numerous flock of the Belarusian Orthodox Church and the people of the Republic of Belarus as a guarantor of the observance of the Constitution of Ukraine, human rights and freedoms and a citizen of the country who are entrusted with running to protect the rights and freedom of religion of our brotherly people of Ukraine," Metropolitan Pavel said in his latter, which is available for viewing on the official website of the Belarusian Orthodox Church.
The head of the Belarusian Orthodox Church said he believes the adoption of Bill N4128 On Changes to the Law of Ukraine On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations and Bill N4511 On the Special Status of Religious Organizations Whose Administrative Centers Are Located in a State Recognized by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an Aggressor State "will become a foundation for an encroachment on the constitutional rights and freedoms of millions of citizens of Ukraine and glaring discrimination against an overwhelming majority of the country has on its affiliation with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is unprecedented in the life of modern civilized human society."
The metropolitan also said he believes that "if the said bills are adopted, it may put Ukraine in the chaos of unprecedented civil war based on religious persecution and repression against Ukrainian Orthodox faith."
According to earlier reports, Bills N4511 and N4128 were on the agenda of the parliament on Thursday to be heard in the first reading.
Representatives of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and believers protested the adoption of those laws in front of the Verkhovnaya Rada building on Thursday.
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia accuses mufti Gainutdin of spreading anti-Semite myths 25 June 2017, 16:10
- Russian Muslims provide humanitarian assistance to Syria 25 June 2017, 16:01
- Putin in congratulation on Eid al-Fitr speaks of Muslims' role in maintaining civil peace, accord 25 June 2017, 15:56
- Thousands of Muslims mark Eid al-Fitr in Moscow Cathedral Mosque 25 June 2017, 15:52
- Almost million worshippers bowed to holy remains of St. Nicholas in Moscow 23 June 2017, 11:50
- Moscow City Hall denies authorization for gay pride parade, rally in support of ECHR decision on law banning gay propaganda 22 June 2017, 18:06
- Aliyev repeals ban on religious activity of citizens trained abroad 22 June 2017, 15:30
- Georgian president calls discussion of restoration of monarchy 'strange PR move' 21 June 2017, 17:50
- Amur Region resident sentenced for hosting meetings of banned religious association 21 June 2017, 17:21
- Dodon to go to Mount Athos on vacation 21 June 2017, 17:14
- Number of those who want to be Orthodox priests has significantly grown in Russia 21 June 2017, 15:13
- Aliyev deems social justice to be best protection from religious radicalism 21 June 2017, 10:51
- Russia doesn't persecute LGBT but bans forcing this orientation on children – Lavrov 21 June 2017, 10:14
- Kremlin to look into ECHR judgment on law banning gay propaganda amongst minors, waits to see details 20 June 2017, 16:10
- Russian Justice Ministry to appeal ECHR judgment on Russian law banning gay propaganda amongst minors 20 June 2017, 13:28
- Radicalization of Kyrgyz nationals rooted in disregard of religion issues by previous administration - Kyrgyz Security Council secretary 20 June 2017, 13:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 50,000 euros to Russian LGBT community activists 20 June 2017, 13:10
- Georgian patriarch proposes constitutional monarchy 19 June 2017, 10:24
- Kiev gay pride parade participants set upon by group of men three hours after event 19 June 2017, 10:13
- Two policemen sustain minor injuries during LGBT pride parade in Kiev 19 June 2017, 10:02
- The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia urges to remove Lenin's body from the Red Square 19 June 2017, 09:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate remains one of the largest religious organizations in Ukraine - Culture Ministry 14 June 2017, 16:38
- Russia faces Ukraine's resistance in returning St. Alexander representation in Jerusalem 14 June 2017, 11:51
- Russian Church Abroad calls to support its Bethany school for Arabian girls 14 June 2017, 11:38
- According to some data, Lenin was depicted carrying a piece of cross, not log 13 June 2017, 17:52
- Islamic countries can resolve all of their disagreements peacefully – Aliyev 13 June 2017, 14:42
- Moscow Patriarchate takes measures to protect from hacker attacks 13 June 2017, 12:26
- New army church consecrated in Kyrgyz airbase 13 June 2017, 12:06
- Siberian Old Believers teach Chinese offices to survive in taiga 13 June 2017, 10:00
- Nazarbayev hopes Islamic world can reach understanding soon 09 June 2017, 11:02