19 May 2017, 19:00
Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws
Minsk, May 19, Interfax - Metropolitan Pavel of Minsk and Zaslavsk, Patriarchal Exarch for All Belarus, has issued an address to Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko regarding the bills submitted to the Verkhovnaya Rada relating to the work of religious organizations.
"I am asking you on behalf of the Synod of the Belarusian Exarchate, the clergy and the numerous flock of the Belarusian Orthodox Church and the people of the Republic of Belarus as a guarantor of the observance of the Constitution of Ukraine, human rights and freedoms and a citizen of the country who are entrusted with running to protect the rights and freedom of religion of our brotherly people of Ukraine," Metropolitan Pavel said in his latter, which is available for viewing on the official website of the Belarusian Orthodox Church.
The head of the Belarusian Orthodox Church said he believes the adoption of Bill N4128 On Changes to the Law of Ukraine On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations and Bill N4511 On the Special Status of Religious Organizations Whose Administrative Centers Are Located in a State Recognized by the Verkhovnaya Rada as an Aggressor State "will become a foundation for an encroachment on the constitutional rights and freedoms of millions of citizens of Ukraine and glaring discrimination against an overwhelming majority of the country has on its affiliation with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is unprecedented in the life of modern civilized human society."
The metropolitan also said he believes that "if the said bills are adopted, it may put Ukraine in the chaos of unprecedented civil war based on religious persecution and repression against Ukrainian Orthodox faith."
According to earlier reports, Bills N4511 and N4128 were on the agenda of the parliament on Thursday to be heard in the first reading.
Representatives of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and believers protested the adoption of those laws in front of the Verkhovnaya Rada building on Thursday.
- Patriarch Kirill: We fight for justice in Syria 21 March 2018, 16:46
- Church official regrets that unlike Oxford and Harvard restoration of university churches in Russia provoke negative reaction 20 March 2018, 14:07
- Traveler Konuykhov plans to set up an Orthodox cross at the bottom of the Marianna Trench 20 March 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes western countries do not pay attention to the provoked by them exodus of Christians from the Middle East 19 March 2018, 21:06
- Patriarch Kirill: presidential elections showed unity of Russians around their national leader 19 March 2018, 17:59
- The whole world will lose from anti-Russian actions of the West, the Russian church official believes 15 March 2018, 16:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes not only Bulgaria, but all countries of the former Warsaw Pact tend to revising history 12 March 2018, 19:13
- Jewish scientist proves that main provisions of Kabbalah coincides with scientific view on universe 12 March 2018, 18:24
- The Russian Church doubts the decency of the Armenian priest who spoke against divine nature of the Holy Fire 12 March 2018, 16:58
- 21 Orthodox churches to open in Moscow this year 07 March 2018, 16:35
- Captain of the Russian ice hockey team visited the Sredneuralsky Monastery to thank God for victory 07 March 2018, 16:32
- Arab Spring sparked global religious extremism - Russian Security Council 07 March 2018, 12:57
- Searchers in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev related to possible illegal actions of certain citizens, rather than center itself - prosecutor's office 07 March 2018, 12:53
- Searches take place in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev 07 March 2018, 12:33
- Two religious extremists killed in northern Azerbaijan 07 March 2018, 12:30
- Patriarch Kirill: 50 Orthodox Churches recently taken over in Ukraine 01 March 2018, 18:40
- Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM 01 March 2018, 18:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Bulgaria in March 27 February 2018, 17:53
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39