16 May 2017, 18:52
Ombudsman submits Novaya Gazeta's info on persecution of gays in Chechnya to Investigative Committee
Moscow, May 16, Interfax - Russian Human Rights Commissioner Tatyana Moskalkova has submitted information provided by the Novaya Gazeta newspaper containing personal details of the LGBT community members reportedly harrassed in the Chechen Republic to the Russian Investigative Committee.
"I have received another request from Novaya Gazeta containing specific names and surnames and forwarded it to Investigative Committee Chairman Alexander Ivanovich Bastrykin for consideration," Moskalkova told reporters on Tuesday.
Moskalkova said the one-month period to consider her request has not yet expired. "It is vitally important to address this issue in terms of protection of the people who dared to say that they are ready to seek justice," she said.
"I'm willing to receive anyone seeking protection and an official inquiry and help to institute state protection and confidentiality measures for those people," Moskalkova said.
Novaya Gazeta's information concerns people whose whereabouts are unknown and they are presumed murdered, she said.
The matter is not about sexual orientation of those people, but that "no one in any conditions can be subject to violence, humiliation, and, all the more so, death," she said.
"It would be valid if the central federal body also received reports," she said.
Moskalkova said earlier during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin that she was looking into the issue of gays who had reported violation of their rights to her.
The president promised Moskalkova that he would talk with the prosecutor general and the interior minister about the situation surrounding "people of non-traditional sexual orientation" in the North Caucasus.
Meeting with Putin on April 19, head of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov denied reports on detentions and murders of civilians in the republic. He said later the Chechen leadership and law enforcement authorities were ready to cooperate with the federal authorities in verifying the reports on the situation involving sexual minorities in the republic. "This phenomenon is uncharacteristic of the Chechen people," Kadyrov said.
- Wearing of clothes of 'destructive ideological movements' in Kazakhstan may be punishable by nearly $700 fine – bill 22 August 2017, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill considers Orthodox, Catholic Churches' joint provision of assistance to Middle Eastern countries uniting factor 22 August 2017, 17:40
- New stage begins in Russian Church-Vatican relationship - Patriarch Kirill 22 August 2017, 17:38
- Putin to discuss bilateral agenda, Syria, Ukraine with Vatican secretary of state – Kremlin 22 August 2017, 12:54
- Kazakhstan planning to ban wearing clothing of 'destructive ideological movements' 22 August 2017, 10:03
- Romanovs confident about tsar's remains authenticity - royal family union 21 August 2017, 18:41
- Putin proposes creating 'Russian Mecca' in Khersones 21 August 2017, 10:37
- Russia puts Jehovah's Witnesses on prohibited organization list 17 August 2017, 14:10
- Vatican secretary of state to hold talks in Russia 17 August 2017, 13:14
- Vatican secretary of state won't discuss prospects for pope's Russia visit in Moscow - Russian Catholic official 17 August 2017, 12:33
- Increase of number of repatriates from Russia to Israel unrelated to actual relocation – FJCR 17 August 2017, 10:00
- Russian Jews call on Trump to suppress anti-Semitic outbreaks in U.S. 16 August 2017, 19:29
- State Duma dubs U.S. Dept of State's report on oppression of religious minorities in Russia as unprofessional 16 August 2017, 10:11
- Russia tops list of countries by emigration to Israel 16 August 2017, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation 16 August 2017, 10:00
- Number of Russian Muslims to undertake hajj increases by 3,000, to 23,500 people, this year 11 August 2017, 13:38
- Priest from Yevpatoria asks to set up a nudist beach in Crimea 10 August 2017, 10:51
- March of the Living to be held in Rostov region to commemorate Jews massacred by Nazi 09 August 2017, 10:00
- Erdogan to attend OIC summit in Astana 08 August 2017, 15:09
- Protestant pastor jailed for 3 years for extremism in Tajikistan 08 August 2017, 10:17
- Priest detained in Vitebsk brothel to be temporary banned from ministry - Russian Orthodox Church 08 August 2017, 10:14
- Russian Jews appalled by reproaches of trying to monetize Holocaust tragedy 08 August 2017, 10:00
- Head of Russian old believers does not believe in overcoming schism with the Moscow Patriarchate 07 August 2017, 13:53
- Over 100 Georgian prisoners imprisoned in Istanbul demand to set up a corner for prayers 07 August 2017, 11:12
- Russian MP congratulates Georgian patriarch on his name day in Tbilisi – media 04 August 2017, 12:15
- Govt prioritizes stronger inter-ethnic, inter-religious accord – Putin 03 August 2017, 15:23
- FJCR President welcomes law on the Victory Day adopted by the knesset 28 July 2017, 14:10
- Kremlin receives no notice from Kadyrov on readiness to resign as Chechnya head to defend Al-Aqsa Mosque 28 July 2017, 13:26
- Kadyrov suggests holy sites on Temple Mount be returned under Jordan's control 28 July 2017, 10:31
- Israeli ambassador to Russia hopes Moscow to support security measures on Jerusalem's Temple Mount 26 July 2017, 18:19