16 May 2017, 18:52
Ombudsman submits Novaya Gazeta's info on persecution of gays in Chechnya to Investigative Committee
Moscow, May 16, Interfax - Russian Human Rights Commissioner Tatyana Moskalkova has submitted information provided by the Novaya Gazeta newspaper containing personal details of the LGBT community members reportedly harrassed in the Chechen Republic to the Russian Investigative Committee.
"I have received another request from Novaya Gazeta containing specific names and surnames and forwarded it to Investigative Committee Chairman Alexander Ivanovich Bastrykin for consideration," Moskalkova told reporters on Tuesday.
Moskalkova said the one-month period to consider her request has not yet expired. "It is vitally important to address this issue in terms of protection of the people who dared to say that they are ready to seek justice," she said.
"I'm willing to receive anyone seeking protection and an official inquiry and help to institute state protection and confidentiality measures for those people," Moskalkova said.
Novaya Gazeta's information concerns people whose whereabouts are unknown and they are presumed murdered, she said.
The matter is not about sexual orientation of those people, but that "no one in any conditions can be subject to violence, humiliation, and, all the more so, death," she said.
"It would be valid if the central federal body also received reports," she said.
Moskalkova said earlier during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin that she was looking into the issue of gays who had reported violation of their rights to her.
The president promised Moskalkova that he would talk with the prosecutor general and the interior minister about the situation surrounding "people of non-traditional sexual orientation" in the North Caucasus.
Meeting with Putin on April 19, head of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov denied reports on detentions and murders of civilians in the republic. He said later the Chechen leadership and law enforcement authorities were ready to cooperate with the federal authorities in verifying the reports on the situation involving sexual minorities in the republic. "This phenomenon is uncharacteristic of the Chechen people," Kadyrov said.
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10
- Unity of Russian Orthodox Church must be supported by all Orthodox Churches - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 17 April 2018, 20:00
- The Moscow Patriarchate official urges to pray for not allowing World War III 17 April 2018, 18:58
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations 17 April 2018, 18:15
- Head of House of Romanov suggests waiting patiently for results of comprehensive analysis of "Yekaterinburg remains" 16 April 2018, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill discusses Syria with Pope Francis 16 April 2018, 09:48
- Lenin should be buried, Stalin returned to Georgia - Kadyrov 13 April 2018, 17:12
- Orthodox believers will never stand in open opposition to state authorities, head of a Synodal Department believes 12 April 2018, 17:02
- Russia rids itself of anti-Semitic image, but Jews blamed for 1917 revolution, Russian Internet full of anti-Semitic content – report 12 April 2018, 13:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls 'Skripal affair' a provocation aimed at weakening Russia 09 April 2018, 17:25
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Russian military in Syria on Orthodox Easter day 09 April 2018, 10:54
- Orthodox church in Kiev set on fire 06 April 2018, 14:10
- Seven-meter Easter egg will be set up in downtown Moscow 06 April 2018, 11:25
- Pope and Armenian president unveil monument to Armenian saint in Vatican Gardens 05 April 2018, 18:09
- Ethnic minorities in Iraq lost hope unlike Syrian Christians - Russian Church official 05 April 2018, 16:51
- Steven Hoking demonstrated the limits of scientific possibilities, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 05 April 2018, 10:45
- Expert on religion doubts that Mormons would be able to build a church in Russia 04 April 2018, 18:45
- Putin thanks Patriarch of Constantinople for supporting unity of the Orthodox world - Kremlin 04 April 2018, 16:59
- Russian muftis have different opinions on Wahhabism ban 03 April 2018, 10:42
- The Interreligious Council of Russia stands up for recognizing Wahhabism an extremist ideology 27 March 2018, 18:48
- May: prayers of the British people are with the families who have lost loved ones in Kemerovo 27 March 2018, 18:32
- Accusations in Skripal's case before investigation are nonsense, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 27 March 2018, 10:20