16 May 2017, 18:52
Ombudsman submits Novaya Gazeta's info on persecution of gays in Chechnya to Investigative Committee
Moscow, May 16, Interfax - Russian Human Rights Commissioner Tatyana Moskalkova has submitted information provided by the Novaya Gazeta newspaper containing personal details of the LGBT community members reportedly harrassed in the Chechen Republic to the Russian Investigative Committee.
"I have received another request from Novaya Gazeta containing specific names and surnames and forwarded it to Investigative Committee Chairman Alexander Ivanovich Bastrykin for consideration," Moskalkova told reporters on Tuesday.
Moskalkova said the one-month period to consider her request has not yet expired. "It is vitally important to address this issue in terms of protection of the people who dared to say that they are ready to seek justice," she said.
"I'm willing to receive anyone seeking protection and an official inquiry and help to institute state protection and confidentiality measures for those people," Moskalkova said.
Novaya Gazeta's information concerns people whose whereabouts are unknown and they are presumed murdered, she said.
The matter is not about sexual orientation of those people, but that "no one in any conditions can be subject to violence, humiliation, and, all the more so, death," she said.
"It would be valid if the central federal body also received reports," she said.
Moskalkova said earlier during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin that she was looking into the issue of gays who had reported violation of their rights to her.
The president promised Moskalkova that he would talk with the prosecutor general and the interior minister about the situation surrounding "people of non-traditional sexual orientation" in the North Caucasus.
Meeting with Putin on April 19, head of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov denied reports on detentions and murders of civilians in the republic. He said later the Chechen leadership and law enforcement authorities were ready to cooperate with the federal authorities in verifying the reports on the situation involving sexual minorities in the republic. "This phenomenon is uncharacteristic of the Chechen people," Kadyrov said.
- Patriarch Kirill: presidential elections showed unity of Russians around their national leader 19 March 2018, 17:59
- The whole world will lose from anti-Russian actions of the West, the Russian church official believes 15 March 2018, 16:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes not only Bulgaria, but all countries of the former Warsaw Pact tend to revising history 12 March 2018, 19:13
- Jewish scientist proves that main provisions of Kabbalah coincides with scientific view on universe 12 March 2018, 18:24
- The Russian Church doubts the decency of the Armenian priest who spoke against divine nature of the Holy Fire 12 March 2018, 16:58
- 21 Orthodox churches to open in Moscow this year 07 March 2018, 16:35
- Captain of the Russian ice hockey team visited the Sredneuralsky Monastery to thank God for victory 07 March 2018, 16:32
- Arab Spring sparked global religious extremism - Russian Security Council 07 March 2018, 12:57
- Searchers in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev related to possible illegal actions of certain citizens, rather than center itself - prosecutor's office 07 March 2018, 12:53
- Searches take place in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev 07 March 2018, 12:33
- Two religious extremists killed in northern Azerbaijan 07 March 2018, 12:30
- Patriarch Kirill: 50 Orthodox Churches recently taken over in Ukraine 01 March 2018, 18:40
- Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM 01 March 2018, 18:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Bulgaria in March 27 February 2018, 17:53
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12