16 May 2017, 18:52
Ombudsman submits Novaya Gazeta's info on persecution of gays in Chechnya to Investigative Committee
Moscow, May 16, Interfax - Russian Human Rights Commissioner Tatyana Moskalkova has submitted information provided by the Novaya Gazeta newspaper containing personal details of the LGBT community members reportedly harrassed in the Chechen Republic to the Russian Investigative Committee.
"I have received another request from Novaya Gazeta containing specific names and surnames and forwarded it to Investigative Committee Chairman Alexander Ivanovich Bastrykin for consideration," Moskalkova told reporters on Tuesday.
Moskalkova said the one-month period to consider her request has not yet expired. "It is vitally important to address this issue in terms of protection of the people who dared to say that they are ready to seek justice," she said.
"I'm willing to receive anyone seeking protection and an official inquiry and help to institute state protection and confidentiality measures for those people," Moskalkova said.
Novaya Gazeta's information concerns people whose whereabouts are unknown and they are presumed murdered, she said.
The matter is not about sexual orientation of those people, but that "no one in any conditions can be subject to violence, humiliation, and, all the more so, death," she said.
"It would be valid if the central federal body also received reports," she said.
Moskalkova said earlier during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin that she was looking into the issue of gays who had reported violation of their rights to her.
The president promised Moskalkova that he would talk with the prosecutor general and the interior minister about the situation surrounding "people of non-traditional sexual orientation" in the North Caucasus.
Meeting with Putin on April 19, head of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov denied reports on detentions and murders of civilians in the republic. He said later the Chechen leadership and law enforcement authorities were ready to cooperate with the federal authorities in verifying the reports on the situation involving sexual minorities in the republic. "This phenomenon is uncharacteristic of the Chechen people," Kadyrov said.
- Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country 22 May 2018, 16:50
- Autocephalous Church will complete formation of Ukraine's spiritual independence, boost national security - Poroshenko 21 May 2018, 11:52
- Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau 21 May 2018, 11:50
- Two policemen, churchgoer killed in special operation to eliminate militants in Grozny 21 May 2018, 11:46
- Christianity is world's most persecuted religion - Patriarch Kirill 17 May 2018, 18:54
- Granting Ukrainian splinter autocephalous church status would be legal nonsense - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 May 2018, 11:58
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes the world has entered the period of a new 'cold war,' presidents of Russia and the USA should sit at negotiating table 14 May 2018, 15:11
- Eco mosque functioning on solar batteries opened in Ukraine 11 May 2018, 17:33
- Establishing of the so-called one local Church in Ukraine will deepen the existing schism, the UOC official believes 11 May 2018, 17:15
- Jewish Day of Salvation and Liberation promotes understanding among people - Putin 10 May 2018, 13:22
- Russia seeks deeper ties with Islamic states - Putin 10 May 2018, 11:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes local Churches will support canonical Church in Ukraine 08 May 2018, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks 07 May 2018, 16:08
- Metropolitan Onufry: setting up a united local Church in Ukraine will make us second-rate people 07 May 2018, 15:18
- First time in the new history six Jewish couples got married simultaneously 04 May 2018, 18:40
- Metropolitan Hilarion foresees schism in Orthodoxy compared to the Great Schism if Ukrainian schismatics obtain autocephaly 04 May 2018, 12:36
- Suspected organizer of Aum Shinrikyo sect's unit arrested in Moscow 04 May 2018, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not share Patriarch Bartholomew's opinion about inevitable unification of Churches 03 May 2018, 11:17
- Catholicos of All Armenians, Armenian protest leader discuss ways of resolving crisis in country 28 April 2018, 11:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for Putin-Trump summit to promote world peace 23 April 2018, 15:09
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10