12 May 2017, 20:16
Patriarch Kirill satisfied with situation around preservation of holy sites in Palestine
Moscow, May 12, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has welcome positive changes occurring in Palestine as far as the preservation of ancient shrines is concerned.
"We welcome those big changes that are taking place in Palestine in terms of maintaining and preserving the holy sites," Patriarch Kirill said at a meeting with the leader of the Palestinian National Authority, Mahmoud Abbas, in Moscow on Friday.
The Russian Church leader noted the efforts to preserve the holy sites, which too art part of the Palestinian leader's responsibility, while stressing that "Palestine is a holy land in the heart of every Orthodox [Christian] person."
The patriarch also said that he was glad about the opening of a Russian cultural center in Bethlehem and that "throughout its presence on the Palestinian land the Russian Church was trying to help the Palestinian people."
"We are glad to be resuming our humanitarian mission," he said.
Inter-religious peace remains in Palestine, and "Orthodox people are experiencing no harassment from the majority," the patriarch said.
"The style of the relations between Christians and Muslims in Palestine is a very important factor reinforcing the fondness for your country," Patriarch Kirill told Abbas.
It is regretful that there is no such peaceful co-existence in some of the countries in the Middle East, where terror groups control parts of their territories, the Russian patriarch said, calling for "joint efforts aimed at ending the armed conflict" in the region.
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10
- Unity of Russian Orthodox Church must be supported by all Orthodox Churches - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 17 April 2018, 20:00
- The Moscow Patriarchate official urges to pray for not allowing World War III 17 April 2018, 18:58
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations 17 April 2018, 18:15
- Head of House of Romanov suggests waiting patiently for results of comprehensive analysis of "Yekaterinburg remains" 16 April 2018, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill discusses Syria with Pope Francis 16 April 2018, 09:48
- Lenin should be buried, Stalin returned to Georgia - Kadyrov 13 April 2018, 17:12
- Orthodox believers will never stand in open opposition to state authorities, head of a Synodal Department believes 12 April 2018, 17:02
- Russia rids itself of anti-Semitic image, but Jews blamed for 1917 revolution, Russian Internet full of anti-Semitic content – report 12 April 2018, 13:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls 'Skripal affair' a provocation aimed at weakening Russia 09 April 2018, 17:25
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Russian military in Syria on Orthodox Easter day 09 April 2018, 10:54
- Orthodox church in Kiev set on fire 06 April 2018, 14:10
- Seven-meter Easter egg will be set up in downtown Moscow 06 April 2018, 11:25
- Pope and Armenian president unveil monument to Armenian saint in Vatican Gardens 05 April 2018, 18:09
- Ethnic minorities in Iraq lost hope unlike Syrian Christians - Russian Church official 05 April 2018, 16:51
- Steven Hoking demonstrated the limits of scientific possibilities, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 05 April 2018, 10:45
- Expert on religion doubts that Mormons would be able to build a church in Russia 04 April 2018, 18:45
- Putin thanks Patriarch of Constantinople for supporting unity of the Orthodox world - Kremlin 04 April 2018, 16:59
- Russian muftis have different opinions on Wahhabism ban 03 April 2018, 10:42
- The Interreligious Council of Russia stands up for recognizing Wahhabism an extremist ideology 27 March 2018, 18:48
- May: prayers of the British people are with the families who have lost loved ones in Kemerovo 27 March 2018, 18:32
- Accusations in Skripal's case before investigation are nonsense, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 27 March 2018, 10:20