11 May 2017, 12:32
Yekaterinburg blogger gets suspended sentence for playing Pokemon Go in church
Yekaterinburg, May 11, Interfax - The Verkh-Isetsky District Court of Yekaterinburg convicted blogger Ruslan Sokolovsky and gave him a suspended sentence of three and a half years in prison on Thursday for playing the Pokemon Go game at a Yekaterinburg church, an Interfax correspondent reported from the courtroom.
"The cumulative punishment for Sokolovsky shall be a suspended sentence of three years and six months," Judge Yekaterina Shoponyak said when pronouncing the operative part of the judgment on Thursday.
"Sokolovsky's guilt has been established," the judge said.
The court agreed that Sokolovsky's reformation was possible without an actual prison term.
The court convicted Sokolovsky on nine counts of incitement of hatred and animosity and abasement of human dignity and also seven counts of public actions that showed obvious disrespect for society and were committed in order to insult worshippers' religious feelings.
The court also found that Sokolovsky had purchased a special gadget, namely a pen with a video recording function, without permission. The gadget was found during a search in Sokolovsky's apartment, and he was convicted of illegal operations involving this equipment.
The court did not find any aggravating circumstances in this case. Among mitigating circumstances, the court cited the fact that Sokolovsky was helping his mother and had offered an apology to all those affected by his actions.
- Muslim board evacuated in Makhachkala due to bomb threat 20 May 2019, 19:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Ukraine's president Zelensky successes in uniting nation 20 May 2019, 18:44
- Zelensky's words on unacceptability of Ukraine's division based on language should also apply to religion - Lavrov 20 May 2019, 16:40
- President is not an icon - Zelensky 20 May 2019, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill calculated that without abortions population of Russia will increase up to 166 million in twenty years 20 May 2019, 14:07
- Media review: "Two-headed hydra of Ukrainian schism and the world Orthodoxy" 20 May 2019, 12:22
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on new Ukrainian authorities to stop discriminating against Russian language 20 May 2019, 11:13
- Sverdlovsk regional administration to invite people to discuss alternative sites for church construction in Yekaterinburg 20 May 2019, 11:02
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19
- Putin proposes polling residents on Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:17
- Law enforcers responded to provocation during Yekaterinburg protest, use of force justified - Peskov (updated) 16 May 2019, 13:44
- Kremlin denies rumors that church construction in Yekaterinburg part of big construction plan 16 May 2019, 13:17
- Moscow mayor's office doesn't allow LGBT pride parade, rallies 16 May 2019, 11:18
- Court arrests over 20 participants in protest against new church in Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 11:15
- Protests against church construction in downtown Yekaterinburg continue for third night in row 15 May 2019, 19:15
- Kremlin doesn't approve of law breaches in church construction protests in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 16:04
- Orthodox priest advises females who found no husband in Russia to move abroad 15 May 2019, 14:57
- Three Yekaterinburg church protestors penalized for traffic rules violation 15 May 2019, 14:33
- Twenty-six protesters against church construction detained in Yekaterinburg – authorities 15 May 2019, 12:42
- Three hospitalized after protest against church construction in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 12:08
- Yekaterinburg diocese postpones planned prayer service at church construction site after protest 14 May 2019, 17:42