08 May 2017, 15:55
Georgian priest accused of murder attempt goes on trial in Tbilisi
Tbilisi, May 8, Interfax - The Tbilisi City Court on Friday began proceedings against archpriest Giorgi Mamaladze accused of trying to kill the Patriarch's Secretary Shorena Tetruashvili.
Father Giorgi was held at Tbilisi's international airport on February 10 this year. He was about to fly out to Berlin where Patriarch Ilia II was undergoing medical treatment at the time. His secretary Tetruashvili was also with him there.
Law enforcement officers searched Mamaladze's luggage and found cyanide. Prosecution officials told journalists that Mamaladze was detained after one his relatives, Irakli Mamaladze, had sent prosecutors a video recording of Mamaladze intending to poison Tetruashvili, who in his view had total control of affairs in the patriarchy and stood in the way of his career growth.
All charges are baseless, Mamaladze's lawyers told journalists. "We demand closure of the criminal case against Giorgi Mamaladze and his full acquittal," his lawyer Mikheil Ramishvili told journalists.
The prosecutor's petition for the trial to be held behind closed doors is totally unsubstantiated, Ramishvili said.
Meanwhile, Prosecutor Jarji Tsiklauri told journalists that investigators had irrefutable evidence of Mamaladze's guilt. "As well as the video recording, we have incriminating evidence obtained from Mamaladze's personal telephone. We are certain that Mamaladze's guilt will be proved in the court," Tsiklauri said.
On Friday the court was to set a trial date and consider petitions from the defense lawyer and the prosecutor. Mamaladze earlier pleaded not guilty to all charges.
- Jehovah 's Witness in Tajikistan sent to jail for 6 months for refusing to wear army uniform 20 October 2017, 10:27
- Interior Ministry official suggests criminalizing gay propaganda 19 October 2017, 17:00
- Prominent Tajik heart surgeon detained on suspicion of links to Salafis – media 19 October 2017, 15:53
- Moscow mufti warns that foreign radical preachers want to sway CIS Muslim space 19 October 2017, 10:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion holds up protestant missionaries as an example for Orthodox priests 18 October 2017, 17:32
- Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin 18 October 2017, 17:12
- Investigative Committee to investigate consolidated case against Christian State leader 18 October 2017, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine 17 October 2017, 14:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges to base legislation on law of morals 16 October 2017, 17:17
- Metropolitan Hilarion is positive about works of priest-rapper 16 October 2017, 14:41
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Head of Russian Catholics speaks about confident improvement of relations with the Russian Orthodox Church 12 October 2017, 11:05
- Homes of suspected Hizb ut-Tahrir members searched in Bakhchisarai 11 October 2017, 18:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses the United States of the lack of democracy 11 October 2017, 17:21
- Catholics jointly with Orthodox believers will restore Orthodox churches in Syria 09 October 2017, 11:34
- Godless society will not conquer extremism - Vatican representative in Russia 06 October 2017, 18:48
- Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus 04 October 2017, 17:58
- Son of Russia's chief rabbi is involved in uniting Jews in Crimea 04 October 2017, 15:12
- Priest is not allowed to Russian pilot Yaroshenko in American prison 04 October 2017, 10:00
- Ingusheti preacher in averted assassination attempt already survived 03 October 2017, 11:47
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia 03 October 2017, 10:00
- Attempt on life of religious figure averted in Ingushetia 02 October 2017, 13:31
- State Duma deputies who watched Matilda see it as movie, give filmmaker right to realize idea 29 September 2017, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill equals insulting believers' feelings to extremism 29 September 2017, 15:19
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- Lukashenko suggests organizing meeting between Patriarch Kirill, pope in Minsk 28 September 2017, 13:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion draws pope's attention to discrimination threat to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 28 September 2017, 10:11
- Syrian authorities are doing everything to protect Christians – Russian MP 28 September 2017, 10:07
- Uzbek leader plans to meet with Patriarch Kirill 28 September 2017, 10:04