08 May 2017, 15:55
Georgian priest accused of murder attempt goes on trial in Tbilisi
Tbilisi, May 8, Interfax - The Tbilisi City Court on Friday began proceedings against archpriest Giorgi Mamaladze accused of trying to kill the Patriarch's Secretary Shorena Tetruashvili.
Father Giorgi was held at Tbilisi's international airport on February 10 this year. He was about to fly out to Berlin where Patriarch Ilia II was undergoing medical treatment at the time. His secretary Tetruashvili was also with him there.
Law enforcement officers searched Mamaladze's luggage and found cyanide. Prosecution officials told journalists that Mamaladze was detained after one his relatives, Irakli Mamaladze, had sent prosecutors a video recording of Mamaladze intending to poison Tetruashvili, who in his view had total control of affairs in the patriarchy and stood in the way of his career growth.
All charges are baseless, Mamaladze's lawyers told journalists. "We demand closure of the criminal case against Giorgi Mamaladze and his full acquittal," his lawyer Mikheil Ramishvili told journalists.
The prosecutor's petition for the trial to be held behind closed doors is totally unsubstantiated, Ramishvili said.
Meanwhile, Prosecutor Jarji Tsiklauri told journalists that investigators had irrefutable evidence of Mamaladze's guilt. "As well as the video recording, we have incriminating evidence obtained from Mamaladze's personal telephone. We are certain that Mamaladze's guilt will be proved in the court," Tsiklauri said.
On Friday the court was to set a trial date and consider petitions from the defense lawyer and the prosecutor. Mamaladze earlier pleaded not guilty to all charges.
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53
- Russia may attend urgent OIC summit on Jerusalem as observer 07 December 2017, 15:10
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital the restoration of justice 07 December 2017, 12:02
- Patriarch Kirill invites American pilgrims to Russia 07 December 2017, 10:14
- Patriarch of Antioch thanks Lavrov for Russia's efforts to settle Syrian crisis 05 December 2017, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome 05 December 2017, 11:29
- Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin 05 December 2017, 10:41
- Head of "Kiev Patriarchate" ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2017, 11:42
- Moscow Patriarchate still open to dialogue with Filaret Denisenko - spokesperson 02 December 2017, 15:41
- Putin expects Russian Orthodox Church to continue cooperation with state 02 December 2017, 11:59
- Autocephaly is goal of Kiev Patriarchate - Filaret 01 December 2017, 19:00
- Anathema doesn't cause Filaret concern 01 December 2017, 18:56
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:23
- Old Believers of Moscow Patriarchate ask for own bishop 01 December 2017, 18:18
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:16
- Russian Jews insist that tsar killing not be called 'ritual killing' 01 December 2017, 18:12
- Dialogue on reconciliation with Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate was initiated by Russian Orthodox Church through its Church Abroad 01 December 2017, 17:46
- Filaret: Ukrainian church will never go back to Moscow Patriarchate 01 December 2017, 17:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies Filaret's letter to Kirill written on Moscow Patriarchate's initiative 01 December 2017, 15:00
- There are no plans for meeting between Patriarch Kirill and head of "Kiev patriarchate" - Metropolitan Hilarion 01 December 2017, 14:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church denies that Filaret's letter to Patriarch Kirill contained request for autocephaly 01 December 2017, 14:55
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s spokesperson rejects info on Filaret's repentance letter with Russian Orthodox Church's Bishops' Council 30 November 2017, 22:17
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s leader Filaret asks Patriarch Kirill to pardon him, bring him back to church's fold 30 November 2017, 22:13
- Putin to deliver speech at Bishops' Council on Friday 30 November 2017, 17:49
- Tashkent imam proposes death penalty for extremists 30 November 2017, 11:41
- Putin discusses Orthodox Church's contribution to consolidation of society, ethnic peace 30 November 2017, 10:20
- Russian Church will help Syria all it can with post-war problems - Patriarch Kirill 30 November 2017, 10:18