20 April 2017, 18:25
Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll
Moscow, April 20, Interfax - More than half of Russians (58%) believe that Vladimir Lenin's body should be buried: 32% propose a site beneath the Kremlin wall and 26% the Volkovskoye cemetery in St. Petersburg as the preferred burial place, the Levada Center public opinion study institution told Interfax.
About one-third (31%) are sure that Lenin's remains should be kept where they are, in the Mausoleum. A tenth of (11%) respondents was undecided. The poll was conducted from March 31 - April 3 among 1,600 residents in 137 populated localities in 48 Russian regions.
However, 79% of Russian are against demolition of any monuments to Lenin and only 14% agree that they should be pulled down. The remaining 8% were undecided.
When asked to assess the role played by the personality of Lenin in the country's history, 26% of Russians expressed the view that the memory of the leader will be preserved but no one will ever again follow the same path. Another 23% agreed that Lenin had put the country on the path towards progress and equity, while 21% said that his ideas were distorted by followers. A fifth (19%) of respondents was certain that Lenin "tried to build on the best thoughts and hopes of people, aiming to lead them to a bright future", the Levada Center said.
However, 15% said they believe that Lenin led the country down the wrong path, causing a lot of trouble and suffering, while 11% said that Lenin was wrong in his expectations regarding the revolution and communism.
In all, the share of Russians highlighting Lenin's positive contribution to the country's history grew from 40% in 2006 to 56% now. The opposing stance is held by 22% of respondents now compared to 36% in 2006. The remaining 23% were undecided.
The poll suggests that 35% of Russians believe that nobody save for historians will remember Lenin in 40-50 years. A fourth (25%) believe that in the future, Lenin will be remembered as the founder of the Soviet state and a fifth (20%) said Lenin would be remembered as a leader for whom the interest of workers were a top priority. Every seventh respondent (12%) believes Lenin will be remembered as a great thinker who managed to foresee the future.
On April 22, 2017, people will celebrate Lenin's 147th birthday.
- Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country 22 May 2018, 16:50
- Autocephalous Church will complete formation of Ukraine's spiritual independence, boost national security - Poroshenko 21 May 2018, 11:52
- Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau 21 May 2018, 11:50
- Two policemen, churchgoer killed in special operation to eliminate militants in Grozny 21 May 2018, 11:46
- Christianity is world's most persecuted religion - Patriarch Kirill 17 May 2018, 18:54
- Granting Ukrainian splinter autocephalous church status would be legal nonsense - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 May 2018, 11:58
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes the world has entered the period of a new 'cold war,' presidents of Russia and the USA should sit at negotiating table 14 May 2018, 15:11
- Eco mosque functioning on solar batteries opened in Ukraine 11 May 2018, 17:33
- Establishing of the so-called one local Church in Ukraine will deepen the existing schism, the UOC official believes 11 May 2018, 17:15
- Jewish Day of Salvation and Liberation promotes understanding among people - Putin 10 May 2018, 13:22
- Russia seeks deeper ties with Islamic states - Putin 10 May 2018, 11:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes local Churches will support canonical Church in Ukraine 08 May 2018, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks 07 May 2018, 16:08
- Metropolitan Onufry: setting up a united local Church in Ukraine will make us second-rate people 07 May 2018, 15:18
- First time in the new history six Jewish couples got married simultaneously 04 May 2018, 18:40
- Metropolitan Hilarion foresees schism in Orthodoxy compared to the Great Schism if Ukrainian schismatics obtain autocephaly 04 May 2018, 12:36
- Suspected organizer of Aum Shinrikyo sect's unit arrested in Moscow 04 May 2018, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not share Patriarch Bartholomew's opinion about inevitable unification of Churches 03 May 2018, 11:17
- Catholicos of All Armenians, Armenian protest leader discuss ways of resolving crisis in country 28 April 2018, 11:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for Putin-Trump summit to promote world peace 23 April 2018, 15:09
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10