20 April 2017, 11:15
Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false
Moscow, April 20, Interfax - Russian human rights ombudsman Tatyana Moskalkova doubts credibility of the reports on alleged disappearances of gay men in Chechnya.
"I have a feeling it could be a provocation, a false denunciation. We should go the full distance [...] I am not ready yet to draw conclusions, yet conclusions should be drawn. Were people really hurt or did someone try to speculate on the issue?" Moskalkova said at a meeting with members of the State Duma Committee on the Development of Civil Society and Public and Religious Organizations.
She said she was unable to conduct further check without knowing the names of people who had allegedly been hurt in Chechnya.
"Yes, they have promised to provide [the names], I can pay a visit, make an inquiry and view their documents. The law on protection of witnesses and victims in a criminal proceeding provides confidentiality and security; there are nine protective measures in all, which demonstrates that the country has created a mechanism to protect people who are afraid," Moskalkova said.
In her words, every inquiry related to the case has been made from abroad. The inquiries referred to the information that over 100 gay men had disappeared in Chechnya.
"I have received inquiries from senior officials; actually, all of them were foreign. Local inquiries followed the lead of the foreign ones. There were inquiries from the British ambassador, [Council of Europe Secretary General Thorbjorn] Jagland, [Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner Nils] Muiznieks, UN High Representative for Human Rights [Zeid bin Ra'ad], and Amnesty International regarding disappearance of over 100 gay men in Chechnya," Moskalkova said.
Moskalkova said she had made five inquiries within the limits of her powers and consistent with her rights, in particular with the Prosecutor General's Office, the Investigative Committee, the Interior Ministry and the Chechen prosecution service. All of them gave a negative answer and said that not a single crime of the sort had been registered.
"I have spoken with the initiators who told me they were afraid. They told me about disappearances and two prisons at concrete locations in Argun, which allegedly had torture zones. I contacted human rights activists and journalists working there; they visited the locations, searched every corner and found nothing," Moskalkova said.
She said on April 18 that no missing person reports had been filed with the police in Chechnya. She also said she had asked Novaya Gazeta for names of the victims, as the lack of that information was hindering further verification process.
A report posted in Novaya Gazeta said that about 100 persons suspected of being gay had been detained in Chechnya and at least three persons more were killed.
Chechnya head Ramzan Kadyrov denied reports on the detentions and murders of civilians in the republic at the April 19 meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in the Kremlin.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06