18 April 2017, 18:28
Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, at his last meeting with Italian President Sergio Mattarella, shared photo images of paramilitary groups' violence against parishioners of the (Moscow Patriarchate's) Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"The silence of the world community is astounding," the patriarch said at an annual Easter reception at the Russian Foreign Ministry.
"Our Church is being oppressed, there have been attempts to take away civil rights and pass legislation precluding normal registration of Orthodox parishes in Ukraine, churches are being forcibly seized. One can talk about it for long, but when you see paramilitary groups in camouflage fatigues forcing people out of their churches - this, too, is impressive," Patriarch Kirill said in his speech.
All local Orthodox Churches support the Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church in its opposition to the breakaway "Kiev Patriarchate," he said, adding that he showed pictures of clashes at his meeting with the president of Italy.
"Our Ukrainian church is being called an aggressor church, being told to tear up its ties with Moscow Patriarchate, accused of being unpatriotic. But the people keep their loyalty to the canonic order. Those being forced out of their parishes remain within our canonical jurisdiction, very often building a new church instead of the seized one. But there were cases of new churches also being seized," the patriarch said.
"Surprisingly, all this is being covered up by global silence," the patriarch said.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26