18 April 2017, 18:28
Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, at his last meeting with Italian President Sergio Mattarella, shared photo images of paramilitary groups' violence against parishioners of the (Moscow Patriarchate's) Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"The silence of the world community is astounding," the patriarch said at an annual Easter reception at the Russian Foreign Ministry.
"Our Church is being oppressed, there have been attempts to take away civil rights and pass legislation precluding normal registration of Orthodox parishes in Ukraine, churches are being forcibly seized. One can talk about it for long, but when you see paramilitary groups in camouflage fatigues forcing people out of their churches - this, too, is impressive," Patriarch Kirill said in his speech.
All local Orthodox Churches support the Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church in its opposition to the breakaway "Kiev Patriarchate," he said, adding that he showed pictures of clashes at his meeting with the president of Italy.
"Our Ukrainian church is being called an aggressor church, being told to tear up its ties with Moscow Patriarchate, accused of being unpatriotic. But the people keep their loyalty to the canonic order. Those being forced out of their parishes remain within our canonical jurisdiction, very often building a new church instead of the seized one. But there were cases of new churches also being seized," the patriarch said.
"Surprisingly, all this is being covered up by global silence," the patriarch said.
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52
- Holy Russia leader under prosecution for pressuring cinemas due to Matilda, detained 25 September 2017, 10:04
- Christian State leader released with travel restrictions 22 September 2017, 17:13
- Religious extremist from Tajikistan arrested in Kirov Region 22 September 2017, 17:08
- Suspect confesses to having torched cars outside office of "Matilda" director's lawyer 22 September 2017, 10:00
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00