18 April 2017, 18:24
Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - Novaya Gazeta will file reports with the Russian Investigative Committee by the end of the week on inaction of law enforcement agencies and the need to investigate its findings on the condition of sexual minorities in the Chechen Republic, the newspaper's spokesperson Nadezhda Prusenkova told Interfax on Tuesday.
Novaya Gazeta still has not received a response to the relevant report filed with the prosecutor's office, Prusenkova said.
"First reports on the inaction of law enforcement authorities and the need to investigate the facts set out by our newspaper will be sent to the Russian Investigative Committee by the end of the week," Prusenkova said.
Such reports have still not been filed due to concerns about security of the people who suffered harassment and their relatives, she said.
The newspaper has obtained the names of the deceased members of the LGBT community and all those who suffered harassment, Prusenkova said. "We will also disclose their names to investigative authorities once they are in safety," she said.
She confirmed that Russian Human Rights Commissioner Tatyana Moskalkova contacted a Novaya Gazeta journalist to obtain information on this matter.
"An official report will be also filed with the human rights commissioner simultaneously with the relevant reports to the Russian Investigative Committee," she said.
Novaya Gazeta earlier published an article claiming that about 100 people suspected of homosexuality had been apprehended in the Chechen Republic and at least three people were killed.
- Christian State leader released with travel restrictions 22 September 2017, 17:13
- Religious extremist from Tajikistan arrested in Kirov Region 22 September 2017, 17:08
- Suspect confesses to having torched cars outside office of "Matilda" director's lawyer 22 September 2017, 10:00
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17