18 April 2017, 11:24
Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque
St. Petersburg, April 18, Interfax - The St. Petersburg police have detained a man suspected of recruiting people to ISIL, a terrorist organization banned in Russia, and other radical cells, a knowledgeable source told Interfax on Tuesday.
Information about a group of recruiters operating in the city had been analyzed and verified since July 2015, he said.
"The driver of a major local taxi company was detained at his place of residence in St. Petersburg on Monday. The man born in 1978 was accused of getting acquainted with people near the Central Mosque on Kronverksky Avenue and encouraging them to join terrorist ranks," the source said.
A criminal case has been opened under Russian Criminal Code Article 205.1 Part 1 (facilitation of terrorist activities). The suspect has been arrested.
Interfax has yet to obtain official information related to the matter.
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns victims of terror attack against Copts in Egypt 26 May 2017, 19:54
- Attack on bus carrying Christians in Egypt may negatively impact resumption of flights between Russia, Egypt - source 26 May 2017, 18:26
- Putin to visit Russian cultural spiritual center after talks with Macron - Kremlin 26 May 2017, 17:24
- Unknown individuals wreak havoc on church of Moscow Patriarchate in western Ukraine 26 May 2017, 16:11
- Putin presents icon to Sretensky Monastery church 25 May 2017, 18:07
- Unity of Russian nation should be preserved – Putin 25 May 2017, 15:09
- Patriarch of Georgia cancels festivities to mark 40th anniversary of his enthronement 25 May 2017, 14:46
- Putin kisses relics of St. Nicholas Miracle-Maker 24 May 2017, 22:55
- Putin expresses gratitude to pope for permission to bring St. Nicholas' relics to Russia 24 May 2017, 22:51
- Putin meets with Coptic patriarch Tawadros II 24 May 2017, 22:50
- Putin, Medvedev visit Patriarch Kirill to offer name day congratulations 24 May 2017, 22:48
- Russian Cossacks will help Syrians preserve their Christian heritage 24 May 2017, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Kyrgyzstan 24 May 2017, 17:08
- Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution 24 May 2017, 15:12
- The Federation of Jewish Community of Russia criticizes Ukrainian political circles for heroizing Nazi symbols 24 May 2017, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis 23 May 2017, 15:19
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again 22 May 2017, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls St. Nicholas the Wonderworker saint number one for Russia 22 May 2017, 11:03
- Thousands believers met St. Nicholas relics in the Cathedral pf Christ the Savior 22 May 2017, 10:44
- St. Nicholas' relics delivered to Moscow 21 May 2017, 17:08
- Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws 19 May 2017, 19:00
- Georgian priest accused of attempted murder refuses to attend his trial behind closed doors 19 May 2017, 17:18
- Ukrainian Foreign Ministry denies that ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding church bills 19 May 2017, 16:06
- Ukrainian ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding Rada's intention to pass bills on status of church organizations 19 May 2017, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill asks not to give him flowers on his name day, but to fundraise for suffering Syrian people 18 May 2017, 18:38
- Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine thanks participants in prayer at Verkhovnaya Rada building 18 May 2017, 18:37
- Kremlin says disrespect for interests of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine unacceptable 18 May 2017, 17:18
- Moldovan president objects to LGBT march in Chisinau 18 May 2017, 16:27