20 March 2017, 10:00
Waffen SS veterans' march in Riga glorifies murderers, justifies Nazism - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia
Moscow, March 20, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) strongly criticized the march of Waffen-SS veterans in central Riga, noting that it compromises the European Union.
"Not only does it compromise the EU but it also effectively forces the EU, a collective-responsibility organization, to assume responsibility for Waffen-SS activities, I am not even talking about NATO whose charter's clause five compels the bloc to provide military support to its members faced with a foreign threat," Boruch Gorin, head of the FJCR Public Relations Department, told Interfax-Religion.
What is happening is something "completely unreal, incredible for Europe which was the main victim of Nazism and its abettors, among whom were the very people in whose honor streets of Europe are now being named," Gorin said.
"In this sense Latvia is a special case because it is in Latvia that Waffen-SS marches are taking place year in, year out. But I would not say that the situation in Lithuania is much different in terms of the de-Nazification of society. We are seeing same processes everywhere: the heroization of murderers, streets being named after murderers, musicals being dedicated to murderers, and so on. This is a process that one would expect to die down over time but nothing of the kind [is happening]," Gorin said.
On March 16 several hundred people marched through the streets of Riga in memory of Latvian members of the Waffen SS legion.
The event also involved several parliamentarians from the far-right All For Latvia! - For Fatherland and Freedom/LNNK alliance, including Imant Paradnieks, Raivis Dzintars, Janis Dombrava and Ejnars Cilinskis.
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52
- Holy Russia leader under prosecution for pressuring cinemas due to Matilda, detained 25 September 2017, 10:04
- Christian State leader released with travel restrictions 22 September 2017, 17:13
- Religious extremist from Tajikistan arrested in Kirov Region 22 September 2017, 17:08
- Suspect confesses to having torched cars outside office of "Matilda" director's lawyer 22 September 2017, 10:00
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00