17 March 2017, 17:04
The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely
Moscow, March 17, Interfax - Representative of the Moscow Patriarchate calls extremely untimely the idea to bury Lenin's body and urges to introduce a moratorium on a war against political symbols in Russia.
"We understand that his presence on Red Square has nothing to do with Christian traditions. But we can raise a question about reburial only when a campaign on decommunization and desovietization is stopped in the post-Soviet territory. And afterwards, when we pose this question, we should base only on religious, not political grounds," first deputy chairman of the Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media relations, PhD Alexander Shchipkov writes in his article posted in Russian by Interfax-Religion.
Earlier, the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia on occasion of the hundredth anniversary of the revolution urged to liberate cities and towns from monuments to Lenin and to rid the center of Moscow of his body. According to the ROCOR, liberation of Red Square of "the remains of the main persecutor and executioner of the 20th century and the destruction of monuments to him" will become a symbol of "reconciliation of Russian people with the Lord."
The Moscow Patriarchate does not share such an opinion. "We see that our close neighbors use the theme of decommunization for the sake of derussification. Should we bring grist to this ideological mill? Certainly, no," Shchipkov writes.
He believes it is necessary to accept "a temporal moratorium on any war against political symbols in Russia, no matter what origin they have."
"It certainly does not mean that we should not return original Russian names to streets and cities. It should be done, but only out of historical, not political grounds. We should not get involved in political campaigns connected with political symbols. It is extremely destructive affair," the church official said.
For the same reason he believes it untimely to raise a question on reburial of Lenin's body "on clearly political motives."
According to the synodal department official, it is necessary to understand that both sides are responsible for fratricidal civil war, as a part of Russian people supported each of the sides.
"Our task is to overcome the schism, to unite people. We will not be able to achieve this aim recognizing that only one side of the civil war was right. It is possible to finish this war in people's hearts and minds only when we stop searching for the winners and will understand that the both sides historically lost the battle," Shchipkov stressed.
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10
- Unity of Russian Orthodox Church must be supported by all Orthodox Churches - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 17 April 2018, 20:00
- The Moscow Patriarchate official urges to pray for not allowing World War III 17 April 2018, 18:58
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations 17 April 2018, 18:15
- Head of House of Romanov suggests waiting patiently for results of comprehensive analysis of "Yekaterinburg remains" 16 April 2018, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill discusses Syria with Pope Francis 16 April 2018, 09:48
- Lenin should be buried, Stalin returned to Georgia - Kadyrov 13 April 2018, 17:12
- Orthodox believers will never stand in open opposition to state authorities, head of a Synodal Department believes 12 April 2018, 17:02
- Russia rids itself of anti-Semitic image, but Jews blamed for 1917 revolution, Russian Internet full of anti-Semitic content – report 12 April 2018, 13:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls 'Skripal affair' a provocation aimed at weakening Russia 09 April 2018, 17:25
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Russian military in Syria on Orthodox Easter day 09 April 2018, 10:54
- Orthodox church in Kiev set on fire 06 April 2018, 14:10
- Seven-meter Easter egg will be set up in downtown Moscow 06 April 2018, 11:25
- Pope and Armenian president unveil monument to Armenian saint in Vatican Gardens 05 April 2018, 18:09
- Ethnic minorities in Iraq lost hope unlike Syrian Christians - Russian Church official 05 April 2018, 16:51
- Steven Hoking demonstrated the limits of scientific possibilities, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 05 April 2018, 10:45
- Expert on religion doubts that Mormons would be able to build a church in Russia 04 April 2018, 18:45
- Putin thanks Patriarch of Constantinople for supporting unity of the Orthodox world - Kremlin 04 April 2018, 16:59
- Russian muftis have different opinions on Wahhabism ban 03 April 2018, 10:42
- The Interreligious Council of Russia stands up for recognizing Wahhabism an extremist ideology 27 March 2018, 18:48
- May: prayers of the British people are with the families who have lost loved ones in Kemerovo 27 March 2018, 18:32
- Accusations in Skripal's case before investigation are nonsense, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 27 March 2018, 10:20