17 March 2017, 12:36
Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country
Moscow, March 17, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon hopes that Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will join the Transdniestrian settlement process.
"The Orthodox Church and faith could be a pillar and a major incentive to unify our country. I proposed setting up a national reconciliation platform just a few weeks ago. Your support will definitely give a chance for finally resolving that problem," Dodon told Patriarch Kirill at a meeting on Thursday.
Twenty-five years have passed "since the tragic events on the Dniester River," Dodon said, adding he was hopeful that the Orthodox Church could help settle the Transdniestrian conflict.
"I would like to thank you again for your prayers and for being a stimulus for Moldovan citizens, no matter where they are. Believe me, you are loved in this country, all of your broadcasts and words are closely listened to, and the people are lovingly awaiting you and hope that you will find an opportunity to visit our country in the near future. The people are waiting on both the eastern and the western banks of the Dniester River," Dodon said.
Patriarch Kirill said in response that there is the same Moldovan Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate on both banks of the Dniester River, "which is a very important factor consolidating the people."
He called for finding "political formulas to meet the aspirations of both parts of our Moldovan flock," he said.
"I am aware of your close attention to the Moldovan Orthodox Church's needs. More than 90% of Moldovan citizens are Orthodox Church followers. This is the highest percentage of believers among the former Soviet republics. I think that this factor is also highly significant because one can pursue extensive political and social programs on the basis of this outlook, this mentality of the people," the patriarch said.
- Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country 22 May 2018, 16:50
- Autocephalous Church will complete formation of Ukraine's spiritual independence, boost national security - Poroshenko 21 May 2018, 11:52
- Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau 21 May 2018, 11:50
- Two policemen, churchgoer killed in special operation to eliminate militants in Grozny 21 May 2018, 11:46
- Christianity is world's most persecuted religion - Patriarch Kirill 17 May 2018, 18:54
- Granting Ukrainian splinter autocephalous church status would be legal nonsense - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 May 2018, 11:58
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes the world has entered the period of a new 'cold war,' presidents of Russia and the USA should sit at negotiating table 14 May 2018, 15:11
- Eco mosque functioning on solar batteries opened in Ukraine 11 May 2018, 17:33
- Establishing of the so-called one local Church in Ukraine will deepen the existing schism, the UOC official believes 11 May 2018, 17:15
- Jewish Day of Salvation and Liberation promotes understanding among people - Putin 10 May 2018, 13:22
- Russia seeks deeper ties with Islamic states - Putin 10 May 2018, 11:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes local Churches will support canonical Church in Ukraine 08 May 2018, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks 07 May 2018, 16:08
- Metropolitan Onufry: setting up a united local Church in Ukraine will make us second-rate people 07 May 2018, 15:18
- First time in the new history six Jewish couples got married simultaneously 04 May 2018, 18:40
- Metropolitan Hilarion foresees schism in Orthodoxy compared to the Great Schism if Ukrainian schismatics obtain autocephaly 04 May 2018, 12:36
- Suspected organizer of Aum Shinrikyo sect's unit arrested in Moscow 04 May 2018, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not share Patriarch Bartholomew's opinion about inevitable unification of Churches 03 May 2018, 11:17
- Catholicos of All Armenians, Armenian protest leader discuss ways of resolving crisis in country 28 April 2018, 11:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for Putin-Trump summit to promote world peace 23 April 2018, 15:09
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10