17 March 2017, 12:36
Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country
Moscow, March 17, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon hopes that Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will join the Transdniestrian settlement process.
"The Orthodox Church and faith could be a pillar and a major incentive to unify our country. I proposed setting up a national reconciliation platform just a few weeks ago. Your support will definitely give a chance for finally resolving that problem," Dodon told Patriarch Kirill at a meeting on Thursday.
Twenty-five years have passed "since the tragic events on the Dniester River," Dodon said, adding he was hopeful that the Orthodox Church could help settle the Transdniestrian conflict.
"I would like to thank you again for your prayers and for being a stimulus for Moldovan citizens, no matter where they are. Believe me, you are loved in this country, all of your broadcasts and words are closely listened to, and the people are lovingly awaiting you and hope that you will find an opportunity to visit our country in the near future. The people are waiting on both the eastern and the western banks of the Dniester River," Dodon said.
Patriarch Kirill said in response that there is the same Moldovan Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate on both banks of the Dniester River, "which is a very important factor consolidating the people."
He called for finding "political formulas to meet the aspirations of both parts of our Moldovan flock," he said.
"I am aware of your close attention to the Moldovan Orthodox Church's needs. More than 90% of Moldovan citizens are Orthodox Church followers. This is the highest percentage of believers among the former Soviet republics. I think that this factor is also highly significant because one can pursue extensive political and social programs on the basis of this outlook, this mentality of the people," the patriarch said.
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41
- Twelve held in south Kazakhstan for extremism propaganda on social media 01 February 2018, 10:49
- Attempts to deny Holocaust, belittle USSR's role in victory over Nazis must be foiled - Putin 29 January 2018, 18:12
- Russian Jews call on Poland to allow Russia's participation in building Sobibor memorial 26 January 2018, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill alarmed by spread of cryptocurrencies 25 January 2018, 17:19
- Cooperation with secular universities makes Islamic education 'fundamental' - Putin 25 January 2018, 17:04