17 March 2017, 12:36
Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country
Moscow, March 17, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon hopes that Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will join the Transdniestrian settlement process.
"The Orthodox Church and faith could be a pillar and a major incentive to unify our country. I proposed setting up a national reconciliation platform just a few weeks ago. Your support will definitely give a chance for finally resolving that problem," Dodon told Patriarch Kirill at a meeting on Thursday.
Twenty-five years have passed "since the tragic events on the Dniester River," Dodon said, adding he was hopeful that the Orthodox Church could help settle the Transdniestrian conflict.
"I would like to thank you again for your prayers and for being a stimulus for Moldovan citizens, no matter where they are. Believe me, you are loved in this country, all of your broadcasts and words are closely listened to, and the people are lovingly awaiting you and hope that you will find an opportunity to visit our country in the near future. The people are waiting on both the eastern and the western banks of the Dniester River," Dodon said.
Patriarch Kirill said in response that there is the same Moldovan Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate on both banks of the Dniester River, "which is a very important factor consolidating the people."
He called for finding "political formulas to meet the aspirations of both parts of our Moldovan flock," he said.
"I am aware of your close attention to the Moldovan Orthodox Church's needs. More than 90% of Moldovan citizens are Orthodox Church followers. This is the highest percentage of believers among the former Soviet republics. I think that this factor is also highly significant because one can pursue extensive political and social programs on the basis of this outlook, this mentality of the people," the patriarch said.
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52
- Holy Russia leader under prosecution for pressuring cinemas due to Matilda, detained 25 September 2017, 10:04
- Christian State leader released with travel restrictions 22 September 2017, 17:13
- Religious extremist from Tajikistan arrested in Kirov Region 22 September 2017, 17:08
- Suspect confesses to having torched cars outside office of "Matilda" director's lawyer 22 September 2017, 10:00
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00