17 March 2017, 12:36
Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country
Moscow, March 17, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon hopes that Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will join the Transdniestrian settlement process.
"The Orthodox Church and faith could be a pillar and a major incentive to unify our country. I proposed setting up a national reconciliation platform just a few weeks ago. Your support will definitely give a chance for finally resolving that problem," Dodon told Patriarch Kirill at a meeting on Thursday.
Twenty-five years have passed "since the tragic events on the Dniester River," Dodon said, adding he was hopeful that the Orthodox Church could help settle the Transdniestrian conflict.
"I would like to thank you again for your prayers and for being a stimulus for Moldovan citizens, no matter where they are. Believe me, you are loved in this country, all of your broadcasts and words are closely listened to, and the people are lovingly awaiting you and hope that you will find an opportunity to visit our country in the near future. The people are waiting on both the eastern and the western banks of the Dniester River," Dodon said.
Patriarch Kirill said in response that there is the same Moldovan Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate on both banks of the Dniester River, "which is a very important factor consolidating the people."
He called for finding "political formulas to meet the aspirations of both parts of our Moldovan flock," he said.
"I am aware of your close attention to the Moldovan Orthodox Church's needs. More than 90% of Moldovan citizens are Orthodox Church followers. This is the highest percentage of believers among the former Soviet republics. I think that this factor is also highly significant because one can pursue extensive political and social programs on the basis of this outlook, this mentality of the people," the patriarch said.
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns victims of terror attack against Copts in Egypt 26 May 2017, 19:54
- Attack on bus carrying Christians in Egypt may negatively impact resumption of flights between Russia, Egypt - source 26 May 2017, 18:26
- Putin to visit Russian cultural spiritual center after talks with Macron - Kremlin 26 May 2017, 17:24
- Unknown individuals wreak havoc on church of Moscow Patriarchate in western Ukraine 26 May 2017, 16:11
- Putin presents icon to Sretensky Monastery church 25 May 2017, 18:07
- Unity of Russian nation should be preserved – Putin 25 May 2017, 15:09
- Patriarch of Georgia cancels festivities to mark 40th anniversary of his enthronement 25 May 2017, 14:46
- Putin kisses relics of St. Nicholas Miracle-Maker 24 May 2017, 22:55
- Putin expresses gratitude to pope for permission to bring St. Nicholas' relics to Russia 24 May 2017, 22:51
- Putin meets with Coptic patriarch Tawadros II 24 May 2017, 22:50
- Putin, Medvedev visit Patriarch Kirill to offer name day congratulations 24 May 2017, 22:48
- Russian Cossacks will help Syrians preserve their Christian heritage 24 May 2017, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Kyrgyzstan 24 May 2017, 17:08
- Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution 24 May 2017, 15:12
- The Federation of Jewish Community of Russia criticizes Ukrainian political circles for heroizing Nazi symbols 24 May 2017, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis 23 May 2017, 15:19
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again 22 May 2017, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls St. Nicholas the Wonderworker saint number one for Russia 22 May 2017, 11:03
- Thousands believers met St. Nicholas relics in the Cathedral pf Christ the Savior 22 May 2017, 10:44
- St. Nicholas' relics delivered to Moscow 21 May 2017, 17:08
- Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws 19 May 2017, 19:00
- Georgian priest accused of attempted murder refuses to attend his trial behind closed doors 19 May 2017, 17:18
- Ukrainian Foreign Ministry denies that ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding church bills 19 May 2017, 16:06
- Ukrainian ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding Rada's intention to pass bills on status of church organizations 19 May 2017, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill asks not to give him flowers on his name day, but to fundraise for suffering Syrian people 18 May 2017, 18:38
- Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine thanks participants in prayer at Verkhovnaya Rada building 18 May 2017, 18:37
- Kremlin says disrespect for interests of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine unacceptable 18 May 2017, 17:18
- Moldovan president objects to LGBT march in Chisinau 18 May 2017, 16:27