17 March 2017, 12:36
Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country
Moscow, March 17, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon hopes that Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will join the Transdniestrian settlement process.
"The Orthodox Church and faith could be a pillar and a major incentive to unify our country. I proposed setting up a national reconciliation platform just a few weeks ago. Your support will definitely give a chance for finally resolving that problem," Dodon told Patriarch Kirill at a meeting on Thursday.
Twenty-five years have passed "since the tragic events on the Dniester River," Dodon said, adding he was hopeful that the Orthodox Church could help settle the Transdniestrian conflict.
"I would like to thank you again for your prayers and for being a stimulus for Moldovan citizens, no matter where they are. Believe me, you are loved in this country, all of your broadcasts and words are closely listened to, and the people are lovingly awaiting you and hope that you will find an opportunity to visit our country in the near future. The people are waiting on both the eastern and the western banks of the Dniester River," Dodon said.
Patriarch Kirill said in response that there is the same Moldovan Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate on both banks of the Dniester River, "which is a very important factor consolidating the people."
He called for finding "political formulas to meet the aspirations of both parts of our Moldovan flock," he said.
"I am aware of your close attention to the Moldovan Orthodox Church's needs. More than 90% of Moldovan citizens are Orthodox Church followers. This is the highest percentage of believers among the former Soviet republics. I think that this factor is also highly significant because one can pursue extensive political and social programs on the basis of this outlook, this mentality of the people," the patriarch said.
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia accuses mufti Gainutdin of spreading anti-Semite myths 25 June 2017, 16:10
- Russian Muslims provide humanitarian assistance to Syria 25 June 2017, 16:01
- Putin in congratulation on Eid al-Fitr speaks of Muslims' role in maintaining civil peace, accord 25 June 2017, 15:56
- Thousands of Muslims mark Eid al-Fitr in Moscow Cathedral Mosque 25 June 2017, 15:52
- Almost million worshippers bowed to holy remains of St. Nicholas in Moscow 23 June 2017, 11:50
- Moscow City Hall denies authorization for gay pride parade, rally in support of ECHR decision on law banning gay propaganda 22 June 2017, 18:06
- Aliyev repeals ban on religious activity of citizens trained abroad 22 June 2017, 15:30
- Georgian president calls discussion of restoration of monarchy 'strange PR move' 21 June 2017, 17:50
- Amur Region resident sentenced for hosting meetings of banned religious association 21 June 2017, 17:21
- Dodon to go to Mount Athos on vacation 21 June 2017, 17:14
- Number of those who want to be Orthodox priests has significantly grown in Russia 21 June 2017, 15:13
- Aliyev deems social justice to be best protection from religious radicalism 21 June 2017, 10:51
- Russia doesn't persecute LGBT but bans forcing this orientation on children – Lavrov 21 June 2017, 10:14
- Kremlin to look into ECHR judgment on law banning gay propaganda amongst minors, waits to see details 20 June 2017, 16:10
- Russian Justice Ministry to appeal ECHR judgment on Russian law banning gay propaganda amongst minors 20 June 2017, 13:28
- Radicalization of Kyrgyz nationals rooted in disregard of religion issues by previous administration - Kyrgyz Security Council secretary 20 June 2017, 13:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 50,000 euros to Russian LGBT community activists 20 June 2017, 13:10
- Georgian patriarch proposes constitutional monarchy 19 June 2017, 10:24
- Kiev gay pride parade participants set upon by group of men three hours after event 19 June 2017, 10:13
- Two policemen sustain minor injuries during LGBT pride parade in Kiev 19 June 2017, 10:02
- The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia urges to remove Lenin's body from the Red Square 19 June 2017, 09:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate remains one of the largest religious organizations in Ukraine - Culture Ministry 14 June 2017, 16:38
- Russia faces Ukraine's resistance in returning St. Alexander representation in Jerusalem 14 June 2017, 11:51
- Russian Church Abroad calls to support its Bethany school for Arabian girls 14 June 2017, 11:38
- According to some data, Lenin was depicted carrying a piece of cross, not log 13 June 2017, 17:52
- Islamic countries can resolve all of their disagreements peacefully – Aliyev 13 June 2017, 14:42
- Moscow Patriarchate takes measures to protect from hacker attacks 13 June 2017, 12:26
- New army church consecrated in Kyrgyz airbase 13 June 2017, 12:06
- Siberian Old Believers teach Chinese offices to survive in taiga 13 June 2017, 10:00
- Nazarbayev hopes Islamic world can reach understanding soon 09 June 2017, 11:02