09 March 2017, 17:08
Israeli premier fears Sunni terrorism in Middle East will be replaced by Shia
Moscow, March 9, Interfax - Russia plays a big role in fighting Islamic Sunni terrorism but the latter must not be replaced by Islamic Shia terrorism under Iranian leadership, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said.
"Lately there has been serious progress in fighting radical Islamic Sunni terror led by ISIL and Al-Qaeda [both banned in Russia] and Russia made a big contribution in this," Netanyahu said at a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Thursday.
"We would not like radical Islamic Sunni terror to be replaced by radical Islamic Shia terror under the leadership of Iran," he said.
Soon Jews will be celebrating the Purim festival in memory of the events that took place in Ancient Persia 2,500 years ago when an attempt was made to exterminate the Jewish people, Netanyahu said.
"Iran actively continues these attempts," Netanyahu said.
At the same time, now that the Jewish people have their own state and army, they can defend themselves, he said.
Shia terror poses a threat not just to Israel but to the whole world, the Israeli head of government said.
The events the Purim honors occurred in the 5th century B.C., and "we are living in a different world now, but let us talk about it right now," Putin said.
Purim is a Jewish festival established according to the Biblical Book of Esther in memory of the saving of the Jews, who lived in the Persian Empire, from their extermination by Haman, a favorite of Persian King Artaxerxes.
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52
- Holy Russia leader under prosecution for pressuring cinemas due to Matilda, detained 25 September 2017, 10:04
- Christian State leader released with travel restrictions 22 September 2017, 17:13
- Religious extremist from Tajikistan arrested in Kirov Region 22 September 2017, 17:08
- Suspect confesses to having torched cars outside office of "Matilda" director's lawyer 22 September 2017, 10:00
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00