15 February 2017, 13:50
Detained on accusation of attempted murder deacon Mamaladze claims he is not guilty - ombudsman
Moscow, February 15, Interfax - Public defender (ombudsman) of Georgia Ucha Nanuashvili on Tuesday met with deacon Giorgy Mamaladze who is in preliminary detention for attempting to murder a high-ranking clergyman.
"Accused deacon Mamaladze denies the accusations and says he did not have poisonous substance cyanide with him when he was detained in the Tbilisi airport. Mamaladze also asks the ombudsman to provide security for all members of his family," the ombudsman said.
According to him, there are many questions and many processional violations in the case of the detained deacon.
"Deacon Mamaladze considers himself not guilty and hopes to prove that he is right. Another very important detail: according to the deacon's statement, when they read out accusations to him, there was nothing about an attempt against a high-ranking clergyman," Nanuashvili said.
It was reported earlier that Mamaladze had been arrested on February 10 on charges of attempted murder at the Tbilisi international airport. Cyanide was found in his luggage.
Last Monday Georgia's Prosecutor General Irakli Shotadze said the deacon was arrested based on the information the prosecutor's office received from an individual who claimed that Giorgi Mamaladze had asked him, "in return for a substantial reward, to acquire the poisonous substance cyanide for elimination of a high-ranking priest".
An investigation has been started based on this information, he said.
"It transpired that Mamaladze was going to travel to Germany where Patriarch Ilia II is currently being treated. Upon his arrest at the airport, a search of his luggage revealed a cache with the poisonous substance cyanide. A search of his apartment led to the discovery of a firearm and cartridges," the prosecutor said.
- First Russian church opened in Cyprus 27 March 2017, 13:49
- Russian Church will include some more western saints in its calendar 27 March 2017, 12:26
- Orthodox believers will celebrate St. Patrick's Day in downtown Moscow 27 March 2017, 10:57
- Origins of West's hatred of Russia lie in split of Christianity - Zyuganov 27 March 2017, 10:00
- Russia, France need to pool efforts to protect world from dangers of globalism, Islamic fundamentalism - Le Pen (updated) 24 March 2017, 10:55
- Sixty-eight percent of citizens oppose monarchy in Russia - poll 24 March 2017, 09:30
- Rabbi Lazar urges to legalize circumcision in Russia 23 March 2017, 13:14
- Ostriches raised in a Kemerovo church, pheasants will be next 23 March 2017, 10:17
- Church official believes Lenin will be buried sooner or later 22 March 2017, 16:01
- Head of antic god or hero found at the construction site of the Crimean bridge 22 March 2017, 13:59
- Moscow mosque imam Velitov to face trial for public justification of terrorism - lawyer 22 March 2017, 12:33
- Third of Russians count national history from Kievan Rus, its Christianization - poll 22 March 2017, 12:12
- Russian masons stunned by deputy Milonov's accusations 21 March 2017, 19:40
- Putin, Russian chief mufti discuss Muslim community's activity 21 March 2017, 18:23
- Bishop of the Russian Church compares Russia airbase in Syria to a monastery 21 March 2017, 10:55
- The Russian Church will introduce its ecological initiatives to the UN 20 March 2017, 16:16
- Church official calls Stalin "executioner" and supports ban on his perpetuation in Ingushetia 20 March 2017, 14:19
- Rector of a Moscow church awakenes conscience in prostitutes who threatenes him 20 March 2017, 10:51
- Russia preserved thanks to "natural conservatism" of its people - Patriarch Kirill 20 March 2017, 10:08
- Waffen SS veterans' march in Riga glorifies murderers, justifies Nazism - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia 20 March 2017, 10:00
- Couple in Cherkessk decides what to do with embryos in court 17 March 2017, 18:34
- The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely 17 March 2017, 17:04
- Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country 17 March 2017, 12:36
- FJCR head criticizes ultra-Orthodox Jews who do not work and do not serve in the army 17 March 2017, 10:11
- Putin meets with head of Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church 17 March 2017, 10:00
- Icon of Crimea heavenly protector to be delivered to the International Space Station 16 March 2017, 11:17
- Kazakhstan's AIFC strives to create favorable environment for Islamic financial institutions 15 March 2017, 13:32
- On the 100th anniversary of the emperor's abdication the patriarch prays for victims of the revolution and civil war 15 March 2017, 13:11
- Russia needs Orthodox monarchy – Crimean head 15 March 2017, 13:07
- ROCOR urges to rid Red Square of Lenin's remains and destroy monuments to him 13 March 2017, 11:07