13 February 2017, 19:13
Cross missing at the Moldavian flag during its president's visit to Iran resulted in a scandal
Kishinev, February 13, Interfax - Moldavia faces a scandal connected with the distortion of national flag demonstrated during president Igor Dodon's visit to Iran.
The Moldavian leader, who is also a president of the chess federation, participated in the ceremony of opening the world chess championship among women in Iran. The national flag of Moldavia was set up behind the president's back. The coat of arms depicted at the flag lacked the cross in the eagle's beak and scepter. Dodon posted the photos in Facebook right after the ceremony.
Certain mass media paid attention to the distortion of the flag. Journalists blamed the head of the state in profanation of state symbols and reminded that Dodon had recently won the elections under slogans for protecting Orthodoxy and Christian values.
Pro-presidential media reported that the president had nothing to do with it and the host side was responsible for it.
"For reasons of political correctness leaders of Muslim countries take off crosses and other Christian symbols from flags of other states. It is practiced in many Islamic states and the president had nothing to do with this practice," pro-presidential portal Blocknote-Moldova writes.
Dodon also participated in the discussion and promised to clear it out in the commentaries to the post.
"The host is responsible for the flag during the visit, not the president. The ambassy is usually responsible for the question, but Moldova does not have its embassy in Teheran. We will clear it out. We will have a meeting with the Iranian president. If they don't have real national flag of the Republic of Moldova, I will insist that they should take off the flag," Dodon wrote.
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns victims of terror attack against Copts in Egypt 26 May 2017, 19:54
- Attack on bus carrying Christians in Egypt may negatively impact resumption of flights between Russia, Egypt - source 26 May 2017, 18:26
- Putin to visit Russian cultural spiritual center after talks with Macron - Kremlin 26 May 2017, 17:24
- Unknown individuals wreak havoc on church of Moscow Patriarchate in western Ukraine 26 May 2017, 16:11
- Putin presents icon to Sretensky Monastery church 25 May 2017, 18:07
- Unity of Russian nation should be preserved – Putin 25 May 2017, 15:09
- Patriarch of Georgia cancels festivities to mark 40th anniversary of his enthronement 25 May 2017, 14:46
- Putin kisses relics of St. Nicholas Miracle-Maker 24 May 2017, 22:55
- Putin expresses gratitude to pope for permission to bring St. Nicholas' relics to Russia 24 May 2017, 22:51
- Putin meets with Coptic patriarch Tawadros II 24 May 2017, 22:50
- Putin, Medvedev visit Patriarch Kirill to offer name day congratulations 24 May 2017, 22:48
- Russian Cossacks will help Syrians preserve their Christian heritage 24 May 2017, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Kyrgyzstan 24 May 2017, 17:08
- Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution 24 May 2017, 15:12
- The Federation of Jewish Community of Russia criticizes Ukrainian political circles for heroizing Nazi symbols 24 May 2017, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis 23 May 2017, 15:19
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again 22 May 2017, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls St. Nicholas the Wonderworker saint number one for Russia 22 May 2017, 11:03
- Thousands believers met St. Nicholas relics in the Cathedral pf Christ the Savior 22 May 2017, 10:44
- St. Nicholas' relics delivered to Moscow 21 May 2017, 17:08
- Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws 19 May 2017, 19:00
- Georgian priest accused of attempted murder refuses to attend his trial behind closed doors 19 May 2017, 17:18
- Ukrainian Foreign Ministry denies that ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding church bills 19 May 2017, 16:06
- Ukrainian ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding Rada's intention to pass bills on status of church organizations 19 May 2017, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill asks not to give him flowers on his name day, but to fundraise for suffering Syrian people 18 May 2017, 18:38
- Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine thanks participants in prayer at Verkhovnaya Rada building 18 May 2017, 18:37
- Kremlin says disrespect for interests of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine unacceptable 18 May 2017, 17:18
- Moldovan president objects to LGBT march in Chisinau 18 May 2017, 16:27