13 February 2017, 16:07
Pilots from Admiral Kuznetsov prayed and took blessing before combat missions – priest
Moscow, February 13, Interfax - Russian pilots from Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier turned to the priest's help before taking up a combat task during the military campaign.
"Before the combat task they prayed and took my blessing," Archpriest Sergy Sherfetdinov, assistant to the commander of the 7th division of the Northern Fleet, said in his interview with Interfax-Religion on Monday as he worked on Admiral Kuznetsov during the task of the Russian aircraft carrier striking group in Syria.
Severomorksk has recently met crews of Admiral Kuznetsov and nuclear-powered heavy missile cruiser Pyotr Veliky from fighting campaign to Syria which started in mid-October 2016.
The interviewee of the agency told that Orthodox believers prevailed among the servicemen, but there also were Muslims. He conducted prayer services in the ship church for the health of the crew and their relatives, held requiem services, confessed, talked to servicemen and celebrated liturgies on Sunday.
According to Father Sergy, he baptised 20 people and attracted sailors to baking liturgical holy bread during the campaign.
He also said that "there was an iron discipline onboard and the life style was also like iron as iron was all around."
"Wives of sailors say about their husbands who come from the task that they smell like "main hull." As for me, they treated me like a "shrine". I had all the best, the best cabin, the best food. They protected me, cherished me. I can't say it was easy, everyone faced difficulties and hardships there. Anyway, it was a military campaign," the priest said.
"They fought like lions. I am grateful and pleased that I participated in this noble, high, truly masculine mission of serving to the Motherland, to our people," Father Sergy said.
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29