07 February 2017, 20:10
FJCR president surprised with accusations against Sochi rabbi, hopes for positive outcome
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) is perplexed with the recent accusations against Sochi Rabbi Ari Edelkopf.
It has become known that the rabbi is under the threat of deportation. Edelkopf informed at his page in a social net that he had faced an accusation according to subparagraph 1, point 1, article 7 of the law on Legal Status of Foreign Citizens in Russia (calls for violent changes of the constitutional order in Russia, committing other actions threatening Russia's security or its citizens).
"We are surprised with such accusations addressed to a rabbi. Historically, Jews and especially rabbis stick to a principle "dina de-malkhuta dina," which means that "the law of the land is the law", which suggests entire law-obedience," FJCR President Alexander Boroda told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
According to him, it is also perplexing that the essence of claims against Rabbi Edelkopf has not been voiced.
"I don't think it is a manifestation of anti-Semitism. Most likely, someone of local officials decided to "tick the box" in a coming report on opposing illegal migration," Boroda said.
He reports that the FJCR is conducting a dialogue with the authorities in order to settle the problems around the Sochi rabbi. As to the legal assistance, it was decided that a Sochi attorney, who had already worked with Edelkopf, would take up the case.
The FJCR president is optimistic about the outcome of this situation as "the Federation of Jewish Communities has a good record of interacting with authoritative agencies of all levels."
"For the years of our joint work many synagogues were given back to the communities, land lots for building new community centers were allotted. Russian president Vladimir Putin personally supported the construction of the Jewish museum in Moscow, works of the Center of Tolerance working at the museum are actively used to struggle against xenophobia in Russia," Boroda said.
Accepting that "from time to time" there were "disputable cases" in relations with authorities, the head of the Federation of Jewish Communities noted that "they have always managed to find a decision acceptable for all."
"We will respect any decision of the court taken in compliance with the law," Boroda summed up.
- St. Nicholas relics to be brought to Russia from Italy for first time in 930 years on May 21-28 28 April 2017, 13:01
- St. Isaac Cathedral can gain a status of patriarchal representation 27 April 2017, 21:27
- Lenin should be buried out of compassion for his soul, Russian Muslims and Jews believe 27 April 2017, 21:26
- FJCR urges Trump to prove his adherence to struggling against anti-Semitism 27 April 2017, 12:22
- Russia conveyed 1.5 tons of humanitarian aid to residents of a Christian city in Syria 26 April 2017, 15:54
- Stepashin tells about Yeltsin's plans to demolish Lenin's mausoleum 26 April 2017, 14:18
- Unidentified criminals committed an arson at the territory of a Moscow Patriarchate church 25 April 2017, 18:09
- Chechen mufti meets with Syrian president in Damascus – Kadyrov 25 April 2017, 10:43
- Special services have no info on persecution complaints from sexual minorities in Chechnya – Kremlin 25 April 2017, 10:16
- EU should wait for reports on persecution of gays in Chechnya to be confirmed before condemning – Lavrov 25 April 2017, 10:15
- Public prosecutor seeks 3.5 years in prison to Moscow mosque imam charged with terrorism justification 25 April 2017, 10:00
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24